Preemies
Options

olivia update....

so we  found that olis infection came from her pic line!they took it out... she got another transfusion last night! she was soo away!she looked great had color again... were waiting to c if she has a neg cult. today so we can start our two week count down to coming home! i'm starting to get the wear n tear of the nicu look lol the dark circles under my eyes...only sleeping MAYBE4 hrs a night.. hopefully this week will be calmer.... a few ?s for u ladies...

1st- her dr said yesterday she wanted to try in do all 8 feeds by mouth... after we left at 1030 pm a new rn came on.... AND PUT IT THREW THE TUBE at 1145 for her midnight feed cuz she was asleep... we wait till bout 10 mins after her feeds were due n she woke up cryin... do i tell the dr? i was really upset she did this!

2nd- they are talking about putting in another pic line! thats how she got the infection with the last one.. should i chance it again or tell them no?

btw shes up to 33ccs!! ahh i have a baby that bottles over an oz! never thought this day would come! lol well i knew it would but it seems to have taken forever! TIA!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: olivia update....

• Options

Yikes about the infection and the PICC line, but glad they caught it and treated it.

To answer your questions:

1.) I would say something to both the nurse and mention it during rounds. We had this issue a time or two and the doctor ended up having to re-write the orders several times until all the nurses got the hint. If the orderes read "Nipple with cues" then if she was asleep the nurse was right to do that as frustrating as it is. Trust me I know its frustrating but she will get there...

2.) I would want to know what they are putting the PICC line in for...is she on a lot of meds? We actually made the choice NOT to have another PICC line placed in A, because she only had two days of antibiotics left and they could go thru and IV or be giving intermuscular. She was too close to coming home to risk an infection from a PICC line. Doesn't mean its the right choice, but it was the choice we made after asking a lot of questions and considering every situation.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Glad to hear she's doing well!  I hear ya on not getting enough sleep...

For the first question:  Were there some criteria she was supposed to meet before getting a bottle? Like, was she supposed to show that she was hungry?  If so, I'd definitely say something next time, like, "Can we please wait until 12:15 before putting the food down her tube?  She sometimes wakes up late."  Sometimes, they stick to the schedule that's easiest for them.

For the second question:  What is she supposed to be getting through the PICC line?  Is she still on TPM?  If there isn't a good reason for another PICC, they can use regular IVs for things.  I don't really know what to tell you here, though, because I don't know why they want to replace the PICC.  My son's got red and puffy, so they pulled it early (it didn't get infected, though).  So, they were able to use regular arm IVs for a few days to avoid having to replace the PICC. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

she ate all her bottles.... she did amazingly well... i think it was just ez  for the rn at thetime, i know things can get crazy around there, but most of the rns change her or wipe her face and she wakes right up if its a little after mayb 10 to 15 mins....and the dr said she wanted her to do all feds by bottle just fustrating i will talk during rounds about it!

as for her pic line, she gets antib. 2x daily for 12 days left.....i just hate to put in another picc line after the first one was infected! only other thing shes on is caffine and thats by mouth

• Options
    Sounds like that's why they want to do the PICC line then...to administer the antibiotics for the next 12 days, instead of risking multiple IV's that might blow. It's something to think about and maybe ask them can they try to maintain and IV first and see how that goes before making the final decision or is there an oral alternative for the antibiotic?
    TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Sounds like she is doing well.  What is her GA?

The nurses would let Gabe sleep too.  If it says to feed by cue, then she did the right thing.  Remember sleeping -growing.  I know it i hard once they start taking bottles it is hard to not want them to take EVERY feed by mouth.  But, there is a reason they feed by cue. 

She'll get there!  33cc's is great!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    no she is to get fed every time they were suposed to wake her up!  i talked to the dr about what happened and the dr ordered it out! so its out now, at her noon feeding she at 40 ccs!
  • Options

imagejakemsmom:
    no she is to get fed every time they were suposed to wake her up!  i talked to the dr about what happened and the dr ordered it out! so its out now, at her noon feeding she at 40 ccs!

It sounds like the doctor actually wrote the orders today. If he just told you and didn't write it in her chart until you talked to him, then the nurse probably didn't know.  

She must be doing really well for the doctor to do wake-up feedings. That's great, especially since she is 34 weeks.  At 34 weeks my LO was just starting to take bottles.  They didn't even start waking him up until 36 weeks.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    yeah i'm UBBER excited! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"