High-Risk Pregnancy

GD and sleep?

I am 33 weeks and currently on insulin and my fasting numbers have been consistently high since being taken off the Glyburide.  I've also been getting up like clockwork every hour and a half.  So I basically never feel like I've slept at all.  I'm a walking zombie!

Do you ever notice an increase in your fasting numbers when you get a bad night's sleep?  

Re: GD and sleep?

• I'm not sure I've been handling GD long enough to answer this question but I really feel like sleep will definitely affect your numbers.  And I think during my first class with the dietician she mentioned that not getting enough sleep would mess with your bg levels.  I hardly ever sleep well so I often wonder if this contributed to my high(ish) fasting #s.  Since being on Glyburide I've been good in the morning but last night I didn't sleep at all and I got an 82 but the previous nights I slept a little better and I was in the low 60's. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Why were you taken off the Glyburide? If your fasting numbers are still high I would want to be on something for that. I definitely think sleep makes a difference when it comes to numbers.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • I was taken off the Glyburide because I was just under the max dosage and the docs (and I) believed that I'd eventually be put on insulin anyway so rather than up my dosage one more time, to just switch me to insulin.  I was put on insulin and my dosage has already been raised.  I'm just very frustrated because I'm doing all that I can and my numbers seem to be all over the place, but mostly high.
  • I don't have medical expertise to back it up but I felt like quality of sleep had an effext, although maybe I slept poorly because my sugars were high. If I didn't get enough sleep or had nigtmares my sugars would be 10-15 points higher than usual.
  • Poor sleep will stress your body and stress will raise your blood sugar. So yes, on night when you sleep poorly it could be causing high fasting numbers. 

For your insulin dosage - it's tricky to find the right dosage. It might take a few adjustments before you get it to a good level, and then it will probably need to be upped again at some point after that. Hang in there, you'll get it figured out! 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Absolutely!  Illness does too.  I saw it with my numbers and my doctor actually told me about it as well.  If you are waking up regularly during the night, you might want to talk to your doc about having a snack while you are up.  I've heard it can help regulate your blood sugars through the rest of the night.  Your fasting number would become kind of a pseudo fasting number since you would probably have eaten within 8 hours.  I have heard of others doing this and it really helps.  If you are up anyway, you might as well.

As for the not sleeping, have you tried doing prenatal yoga, gentle stretches, or meditation before bed?  I find it really helps me sleep to do one of those near bedtime.

Sweet dreams for a good night's sleep to you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• This. Getting a poor night's sleep will sometimes up your adrenaline levels. The fight or flight response is natural, and the stress it incurs will definitely spike your blood sugar. My dietician wants me to note anytime I'm stressed, sick, don't get enough sleep, even when I get a headache, because it will all affect your levels. 

As for the insulin levels - try not to feel bad. You're doing the best you can with the circumstances, and I think, based on what my endocrinologist and dietician says, that insulin is actually healthier than glyburide, since glyburide stresses your pancreas in forcing it to produce more insulin. Of course, do what your doctor says is best, but try not to beat yourself up about the numbers. If you're doing what they advise you to do, it'll be up to them to help you to adjust your dosage. All of my post meal numbers were good, but my fasting levels were consistently high. My doc started me on 10 units of insulin, and now I'm up to 30, which made me feel bad about myself, but ultimately, it's what best for me and the baby. That always makes me feel better. That, and hopefully making sure this kid isn't too big to come out on its own!

I was getting bad sleep because my cats were running around and jumping on me at night, so I kicked them out and have made my bedroom into a bit of a sanctuary with nice candles, a cool breeze, and things like that. I look forward to going to bed because of it - is there something like this that you can do to take some of the stress out of going to bed? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.  My fasting is ALWAYS bad when I don't sleep well...
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"