Single Parents

In my mind I wanted to put my foot up his a$$

I'm sitting on the couch last night with my handsome son watching tv.  All of a sudden he turns to me with the saddest eyes and says, "I wish I could meet my dad".  It was one of those moments where you feel that pain deep inside because there is nothing you can do to alleviate the hurt your child is experiencing.  I told him that sometimes people make wrong choices that hurt others.  I said that just because they did, it says nothing bad about you.  It's between him and God why he doesn't take care of the special gift God gave him.  I didn't want to rip into his father, but I was sure imagining in my head stomping a mudhole in his behind.  How dare he turn his back on two wonderful children?!  I know my explanation was inadequate, but my son caught me off guard, and I didn't know exactly what to say.  I wanted to make him feel better without making his "father" out to be an awful villian.  But I also didn't want my boy to feel like something was wrong with him and that's why his dad doesn't come around.  Ugh, I just felt so hurt that my son was hurting and it doesn't have to be that way.  I feel like I failed my son.

Re: In my mind I wanted to put my foot up his a$$

• YOU haven't failed, HE has.  I think that was a good explanation.  The worst thing as a parent is seeing your child hurt.  I am sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks.  Rationally I know that, but I'm thinking I should not have gotten involved with dude in the first place.  But then I wouldn't have my sweeties.

• Loading the player...
  • ugh, I'm so sorry you had to have that moment with your son. I don't know what I will say or do when it's my turn to explain things to my son. *hugs to you*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"