Special Needs

Anybody else started/starting preschool this fall?

If so, has DC started yet or when will they?

If you've started, how are things going?

This has been DD1's first week. I was a little worried the first day. As soon as we got into the classroom, it was like she went completely blank -- avoided eye contact with me and wouldn't answer questions while I was settling her in, etc. She usually has no problem with a class environment and did great in ESY preschool. She didn't cry or cling to me, but was clearly kind of overwhelmed.

It's improved a lot in just a few days. Whew. The bustle of all the kids and parents squeezing in and out of the same little space still makes it a challenge for her to focus during drop-off, but she's dealing.

I think she had her longest conversation ever with another child this morning while we were waiting for the classroom doors to open. It almost makes me wish I could send her seven days a week!

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010

Re: Anybody else started/starting preschool this fall?

• we start in a few weeks. I am glad it is settling down for her! I could see my daughter having problems focusing in a new (and busy) environment.
  • Hey there! That's so cool that she is talking to other kiddos. What a great feeling!

My son started last week. He had done a year of Children's Day Out, so he wasn't brand new to an early childhood environment. This, so far, as been so much better. Of course having an IEP and plenty of support has helped. 

Though it hasn't been all roses, it has been so much better than I anticipated. He's going 3 days/week, and our original plan was just to do mornings. I have to pay for full-day either way. (He didn't qualify for 1/2 day program because he isn't impaired enough for a spot there and yet too impaired to serve as a typical peer...grrr). Anyway, after a discussion with his teachers we decided to try leaving him there during naptime and...holy cow! He was napped twice at preschool! He hasn't napped at home in many months other than a couple flukes including falling asleep at the dinner table. In fact, I better go pick him up now.

I'd say it's going well, though he hasn't really talked to teachers or kids other than very quiet one or two word answers (he's capable of much more at home). And I've noticed some bite-marks that I think are self-inflicted. :( Anxiety, perhaps? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS starts preschool the end of September. Since he is too young for preschool (won't be 3 until November), I have to be there in the classroom the first half of class. Then I go to parent discussion time for 45mins. IF he still qualifies for services (won't unless he gets an actual diagnosis, but no one wants to label him at 2) then he will go two mornings a week then second morning is without me.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"