LGBT Parenting
Options

**2brides**

Couple of questions (if you don't mind):

1. When do "terrible twos" actually start?
  2. What are the "true" signs of "terrible twos"?
  3. Will I be chasing my Little Man down for diaper/clothing changes for a short period of time, a not so short period of time, or a long period of time?
  4. Will both Kiddos continue to run in opposite directions when Mama (i.e. me)  is trying to corral them for bed?
  5. The Kiddos (especially Peanut) have been crying horribly if one of us leaves the room...I understood this at 9-months, but it is back again at 17-months...thoughts/advice?

Okay I lied, it was more than a couple of questions. Embarrassed

TIA!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: **2brides**

• Options

Okay I do not have twins but as far as number 3 goes I have been chasing Ky down for about three months now and it jsut gets worse the more mobile she gets. The only place she cannot "run-away" is on the changing table but even there she still does barrell rolls...

*eagerly awaits 2brides answer of when this will stop*

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

*sits and waits, somewhat impatiently, for 2brides*

J is not even walking yet, and the chasing has already begun! I don't even understand how a crawling child can be faster than a walking/running/completely mobile adult. And gosh, the barrel rolling! K and I were talking just this morning about how crazy it is that it sometimes takes the two of us to change his diaper. He's an eleven-month-old BABY! Tongue Tied

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    And this is with ONE child. God bless the parents of multiples!Smile
  • Options
    And this is with ONE child. God bless the parents of multiples!Smile
  • Options

Hey there! :) Sorry I didn't respond yesterday. We were traveling and I couldn't type a response on my phone! :)

Keep in mind all kids are diferent and my mind is fuzzy about all of this stuff (you think it will never end and you will never forget, but it does, and you do!) :)

1. Sometimes actually before 2! :) You could be starting in it now! Lucky you. ;) Things that helped (though certainly didn't alleviate it completely) continue with signing (a big issue of the "terrible twos" is lack of communication (especially with kids like yours and mine that have a bit of a language delay.) Ignore tantrums (I would simply say, "I see that you are really sad that you can't do XYZ. Come see me when you are ready to do ABC." While trying not to either laugh or be upset. Just neutral.

2. Temper tantrums (throwing themselves on the floor and crying) is probably the biggest. They just have all these emotions in them and no experience in expressing those emotions and how to handle those feelings. Naming feelings is important so they know what they are feeling, that is it okay, and how to better express those feelings (ie, "I know that you are sad because J has the toy that you want. Let's take turns with the toy.") It takes a long time (heck, we still have times that one kid hits the other to get what he wants!)

3. Oh, I hated those days. Hopefully by 2y or so they will be more compliant with changing. No promises there - just one of those stages that will eventually end.  Just do it as quickly as possible! :)

4. Yes.  I want to think that they stopped running in 2 seperate directions around 2.5y (that is when I could take them to the mall solo without a stroller and not feel like my head was going to pop off!)  Try not to chase them, because them it becomes a game! :) Try to get them to come to you and then shower them with praise when they do it on their own.

5. Yes, it can rear its ugly head again. It is okay. Just reassure her and move on. :)

Keep in mind that all kids are different. I was asking L about some of these since my mind is foggy about details and she reminded me that all of this was even different among our two kids. They did thing/stopped doing things/started doing things at very different times. I've said for a long time that I found 12m-2.5y to be more difficult than that first year since they were always going in 2 different directions. It was maddening! :)

Good luck and stay safe today! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image2brides:

Try not to chase them, because them it becomes a game! :)

OOPS! :)

Thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation to answer the questions...and to help quell my fears. Even though you are too young to have grey hair I don't know how you don't. Some days are just wild...but...I have to be honest, the wild times are by far outnumbered by the loving times.

(I am glad things were okay at your house!)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Oh, I have a few gray hairs popping up here and there and L started getting pretty darn gray after they were born! :)

I was thinking about you yesterday. I was thinking that I told you it gets eaiser around 2.5. What I mean it is that is starts to get increasinly easier around that time. I won't say it is easy - but easier. Our next door neighbor who has 15y old b/g twins always says the first 3 years are the physical years. You are always carrying, picking up, dressing, moving, etc. I didn't understand it, but it was true. We rarely do those things anymore which is so nice.

Now we are dealing with disrespectful behavior, bathroom talk, and the kids fighting. So, it is always something. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"