April 2011 Moms

Tylenol before shots?

So LO goes for his 4 month check up today.  He did not do well with his 2 month shots and so I was told by family/friends to consider giving him tylenol before to help.  Did/Are any of you planning to do this?  I hate to see my baby hurt.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tylenol before shots?

• I've read in a few places that pediatricians are discouraging giving LOs Tylenol before shots because it runs the risk of making them less effective - a lot of the mild side effects are just the baby's immune system dealing with the vaccines. If your DS was cranky and had trouble sleeping after the 2 month shots, Tylenol wouldn't really do much for it. If he was running a high fever (I believe over 101-102 is the general recommendation for medicating), you might want to wait to see if he has that same reaction this time and then administer Tylenol as needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I gave it to DD2 after her 4 month shots, IMMEDIATELY, after. And she did 100x better than with the 2 month shots. I plan to do it after all of them. If it eases her pain, then I'm okay with it. I'm not gonna wait til she's screaming to give it to her.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • I would wait til after the shots and see how LOs feeling.
  • imagevanfox:
    I've read in a few places that pediatricians are discouraging giving LOs Tylenol before shots because it runs the risk of making them less effective - a lot of the mild side effects are just the baby's immune system dealing with the vaccines. If your DS was cranky and had trouble sleeping after the 2 month shots, Tylenol wouldn't really do much for it. If he was running a high fever (I believe over 101-102 is the general recommendation for medicating), you might want to wait to see if he has that same reaction this time and then administer Tylenol as needed.

This is exactly what my pedi said! 

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would wait. I waited it out with my LO and he ended up not needing any.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageams8099:

imagevanfox:
    I've read in a few places that pediatricians are discouraging giving LOs Tylenol before shots because it runs the risk of making them less effective - a lot of the mild side effects are just the baby's immune system dealing with the vaccines. If your DS was cranky and had trouble sleeping after the 2 month shots, Tylenol wouldn't really do much for it. If he was running a high fever (I believe over 101-102 is the general recommendation for medicating), you might want to wait to see if he has that same reaction this time and then administer Tylenol as needed.

This is exactly what my pedi said! 

Just FWIW, I did this with DD1, too. She got Tylenol after her shots every time, too. And her vaccines seem to be working fine. She doesn't have any diseases that she's been vaccinated against. IDK, I get it. And I think everyone should make their own choice. But I'm going to give it to her when she starts crying, so why let it get there? And IMO, it absolutely does help when she gets cranky. She calms down and goes to sleep. 

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • I don't like medicating if it is not needed. For us, nursing her or having a bottle ready was the best solution. The sucking calmed her. I have also heard that the tylenol can effect the effectivness of the vaccines.
  • We made sure E was in a great mood. We tickled her, made her giggle, and sang to her right before, then I nursed her right away. She cried a bit, and our hearts broke, but she was okay after a few minutes!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• we gave him some tylenol several hours later when he seemed like he was in pain, but honestly his 4 mo shots went WAY better than his 2 mo shots. I would wait and see what your LO needs
  • My oedi specifically said don't give any before. We gave some that night bc he had a fever. He did much better than the two month shots.
  • imagekaube:
    we gave him some tylenol several hours later when he seemed like he was in pain, but honestly his 4 mo shots went WAY better than his 2 mo shots. I would wait and see what your LO needs

This!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

imageimage
  • Our pedi advised against if possible for same reasons others said. 

DD was fine after her two months. Cried, fed her, she was fine. Four months we had a harsher reaction (with a 102.7 temp the next day- which of course we did tylenol for).

I just dont see a reason in giving it prior as you dont know if they will need it or not (and i hate giving meds if its not needed!)

imageimage
  • My pedi told us not to give it before, and only to give it after if he had a 100+ fever or was obviously in pain. Honestly, the 4 month shots weren't nearly as traumatic as the 2 month ones. He didn't cry at all for the first one, and cried for about 5 seconds for the second one. His leg was pretty sore afterwards (he would cry any time we touched it), so we did end up giving him one dose of Tylenol.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • LO got her vaccines today. She did better than the 2 month shots, but I gave her Tylenol about 15min after b/c the last time we waited until she was in obvious pain & she was inconsolable even after giving her the Tylenol & basically cried herself to sleep in MH's arms.
    Wallace is a big brother!
    imageimage
  • I'm in the "don't like to medicate if not needed" camp

We don't give anything before shots, but will after if our kids seem uncomfortable or run a temp.  I gave both kids Tylenol after their 2 month shots b/c they both ran slight fevers and were extra fussy.  Neither of them were phased by their 4 month shots (and Drew hasn't any trouble with any shots since) - so we haven't given any meds.

As always, it's up to you.  But in my experience the 2 month shots are by far the worst and it just gets better from there.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At 2 month vaccines we asked our Pedi about giving Tylenol.  She suggested we give it while they were preparing the vaccines (prior to injection).  We gave it to him right before  they came in the shots and he did well.  He ran a very low grade fever for about 12-14 hours, but overall it was a very minor reaction to them (I think).  I am glad that we gave the Tylenol - it prevented any pain/achiness from getting out of hand.  We will also continue to do this each time DS gets vaccines.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"