Natural Birth

Can I just say, we rock!

This is pretty amazing! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can I just say, we rock!

• Huh. Not sure I like the analogy. At no time did the pain feel like bones fracturing. This makes birth sound awful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageStacieJane:
    Huh. Not sure I like the analogy. At no time did the pain feel like bones fracturing. This makes birth sound awful.

I don't like it either. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Loading the player...
  • I think its awesome that we can turn this type of pain (assuming that the statements are facts) and turn it into something not painful and something beautiful and even amazing. We do rock for that!
    BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • I don't get it...the human body can tolerate X amount of pain...and then what?  I have a hard time believing that everyone's pain tolerance is exactly the same as well. I'd love to see the source for this "fact". 

Plus, I've had two med free childbirths, one was much more painful due do his presentation (OP) but I would never compare that pain to a bone fracture - it wasn't that bad.

imageimage 
  • imageBrideNamedMeg:

I don't get it...the human body can tolerate X amount of pain...and then what?  I have a hard time believing that everyone's pain tolerance is exactly the same as well. I'd love to see the source for this "fact". 

I was wondering about this as well.  If humans can only tolerate 45, but can feel 57 when giving birth, wouldn't that mean humans can tolerate... 57?

I can think of a million things that would hurt worse than giving birth, that people live through. And admittedly, I haven't given birth vaginally, but since people willingly keep doing it, I can only assume it isn't **that** bad.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Giving birth is not equal to getting 20 bones broken at once. But okay...

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrideNamedMeg:

I don't get it...the human body can tolerate X amount of pain...and then what?  I have a hard time believing that everyone's pain tolerance is exactly the same as well. I'd love to see the source for this "fact". 

Plus, I've had two med free childbirths, one was much more painful due do his presentation (OP) but I would never compare that pain to a bone fracture - it wasn't that bad.

I always find it funny when people say I "had" to get an epi. I don't understand this statement because you aren't going to die from the pain (of course this doesn't pertain to a c-section). You wanted an epi and that is perfectly fine. 

I have never fractured a bone so I couldn't compare it but the analogy seems a little ridiculous. Though I will agree that any woman that gives birth regardless of how rocks!

• imagehonkytonk_kid:
    imageBrideNamedMeg:

I was wondering about this as well.  If humans can only tolerate 45, but can feel 57 when giving birth, wouldn't that mean humans can tolerate... 57?

I can think of a million things that would hurt worse than giving birth, that people live through. And admittedly, I haven't given birth vaginally, but since people willingly keep doing it, I can only assume it isn't **that** bad.

All I know is I tolerated childbirth better than my gallbladder attacks or kidney stones. Those had me literally screaming and writhing in pain, sweating, throwing up, and almost passing out. Childbirth was intense, hard work, and for sure had times where it was quite painful, but I would do it 1000 times over before choosing gallstones or kidney stones.

However, I do think it's nice to appreciate how much work and dedication goes into childbirth, and it's quite alright to celebrate that....the poster is just, misguided. :)

• Contractions are so different than anything else I have ever felt.  Today I ran into our metal gate with my foot and through the throbbing pain I thought this is worse than being in labor.  Contractions while intense have a very natural feeling to them, breaking a bone or 20 is a different story.

But mothers do rock :) 

• I'm back to say that my ovarian cyst bursting was way more painful than childbirth and actually did make me pass out. And when I came to, I was given morphine to put me out of my misery again. Given the choice, I'd give birth over having a cyst burst again any day...
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I LOVED THIS!!!!!! Just because it's natural for our bodies to give birth that doesn't mean it's not excruciatingly painful (and IMO gross). I love my LO, she was worth every minute of pain and so much more but labor was the worst, most painful experience of my life. Again, just my opinion.
  • imageanna7602:
    I'm back to say that my ovarian cyst bursting was way more painful than childbirth and actually did make me pass out. And when I came to, I was given morphine to put me out of my misery again. Given the choice, I'd give birth over having a cyst burst again any day...

I bet! On a smaller scale, I had two calf cramps during pregnancy that were so prolonged and miserable, I was screaming and crying. And then when breastfeeding, we had a bad latch to start, and there was more pain and crying. I told my husband that I'd rather give birth every day for a week than have to breastfeed for the first two weeks again. I'd lump the calf cramps in there too. :) Labor is not the worst pain ever (for me), probably because our bodies are built to handle it.

• Yeah, back again as well...there's no such thing as a "del unit" of pain - there was something called a dol unit of pain which was "tested" in the 1940's and 50's and then abandoned because it was stupid.  You can't measure or quantify pain like that - it's subjective. 

I almost appreciate the sentiment expressed here. I think women are awesome for going through childbirth, but this quote is nonsense.  

imageimage 
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the quote on the photo....however, I will agree that we women do indeed rock!!!
  • imagestar173:

All I know is I tolerated childbirth better than my gallbladder attacks or kidney stones. Those had me literally screaming and writhing in pain, sweating, throwing up, and almost passing out. Childbirth was intense, hard work, and for sure had times where it was quite painful, but I would do it 1000 times over before choosing gallstones or kidney stones.

Oh, this! It was intense and huuuuurt, but not like a kidney stone. I felt overwhelmed, but not sick with pain. It didn't feel like harm was coming to my body.

Still, I am amazed by the pain we gladly accept in motherhood (I'm looking at you,  nipples!)

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • I think the quote is lovely, but stupid.

Child birth is completely different and unique to each individual, as well as each labour is unique to that woman.     I've fractured my arm, it wasn't nearly as painful as my 2nd child's birth, but it was worse than my 3rd child's birth.   My 1st child's birth was on par with horrible menstrual cramps...until transition - I don't have a comparison for that.

I think the difference with stubbing my toe (just an example....I just really hate doing that) and child birth is that the toe stubbing is unexpected and sucks, whereas I have some time to get used to the idea of labour and labour can be a gradual increase of pain.    But, man, I hate stubbing my toe! 

• Not sure about the statistics on the original post, but I have read that during labor, women ARE able to withstand amounts of pain which they normally would NOT be able to handle, simply due to the oxytocin that the body produces during labor which kind of "offsets" the pain and makes it more bearable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"