Maryland Babies

selling kids clothes online

So, I've considered going the consignment route, but with only getting 50% return, plus the registration fee, plus potential fee to pick up whatever is left over, having to hang and tag, and drop off, it just doesn't seem worth it for clothes. Now I'm on to thinking I'll just try to sell some of Sophia's old clothes on e-bay. I have a mix of brands, gymboree, carters, some other misc designer brands I got off of zulily, absorba. How do you think would be the best way to list items?

1. Sell in lots - 5 gymboree long sleeve t-shirts sold together in the same size; 2 pairs of jeans

2. Sell things individually

Logistically, I think selling in lots would be a lot easier, but how do you think people are more likely to buy? I go back and forth on what I would prefer if I were a buyer.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: selling kids clothes online

• Meh - I'm kinda DONE trying to figuure out this problem.  I think I'm going to try to sell my good stuff to the consignment shop and the rest of it, I'm just going to drop off at Goodwill.  I just don't see how I'll make much money selling my Carters and Target stuff, kwim?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If you go the ebay route I would do t-shirts in lots of 3, only because I see places like Old Navy or Baby Gap selling in 3's.  You could try craigslist as well.  We actually had a yard sale last spring and my BIL's girlfriend joined us and had a bunch of clothes.  I thought there was no way she would sell them, but she sold most of them.  I know that around our neighborhood there are always 5 or 6 yard sales and lower income families will drive around the parkway specifically looking for yard sales and that is who she sold her clothes to.  Our yard sale was 5 different families together and I posted it on Craigslist with a few pictures of the stuff we had along with a pretty extensive list. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageucgrad:

So, I've considered going the consignment route, but with only getting 50% return, plus the registration fee, plus potential fee to pick up whatever is left over, having to hang and tag, and drop off, it just doesn't seem worth it for clothes.

Did all of the shops you contact have all of these fees?

I didn't pay a registration fee, nor do I pay a fee to pick up what is left over (but I just leave it there.)  I don't have to hang and tag anything (I know most of the wee sales do require that.)

I view consigning as getting paid to clean out the closet- not really re-couping the value of the original item- not to say that I don't get a good amount of money back, but I try not to look at what people paid for the stuff.  I only had to make 1 appointment at the consignment shop I have an account with and now I just drop off a bag w/ my name and account # on it and if they donate what they won't sell- I don't get the tax-write-off, but whatever.

I don't do the wee-sale thing because it requires hanging and tagging and getting all of your stuff together at the same time- IMO hanging and tagging is about the same amount of work as taking pictures of everything, listing and shipping on ebay. 

As far as what I would buy on ebay- if something is a boutique item- like Hanna Andersen, Lilly Pulitzer, etc. individual, if it's gymboree or anything else that is a "collection" I would do everything you have from that collection, and w/ Carters/Circo, etc. I would do big lots of at least 5 or 6 items. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • By consignment, I meant the sales (like wee-sale), not shops. To my knowledge, there aren't any consignment shops very close to me.

Thanks for the input!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just sold my DS stuff at Wee-Sale this past weekend and I have to say it was totally worth it to me.  I never had much luck on ebay with kids stuff (lately not much with anything).  Yes there is leg work up front to tag and hang/bag your stuff, but 90% of my stuff sold.  I worked at 4 hour shift and got an extra 5% of my sales.  And you can either get your stuff back that sells or they will donate it for you.  If you price it well, it will sell.  I will do it again in the spring.  I would say it was just as much work as selling all that stuff on ebay and but this was way more successful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Greenberries in Columbia isn't that far from you and there is a Kid2Kid there too.

I bet if you looked in the yellow pages you'd find a few in your area.

If you want to do the Ebay route I'd definitely sell as lots. I've gotten a few things off Ebay.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"