Military Families

Please Help! Toddler not listening when daddy is gone!

DD is driving me crazy! She's 2.5 (29 months) and "No" is her response to EVERYTHING. She's also flat out not listening. She can follow directions, but lately I can't even get her to do the simplist of tasks. Sometimes she won't even look at me. It's really frustrating. I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant with #2 and I know my patience isn't what it used to be. DH is in the Army and gone ALL THE TIME. He's not deployed, but is still TDY at least twice a month anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks at a time. I really think her behavior has to do with daddy being gone, but I can't figure out the best way to parent and correct this behavior. We just moved her to her big girl room with all her toys in preparation for the new baby a day or two before DH left this time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
PLEASE HELP! Any advice would be helpful. We do spank in our house. I am a firm believer and I'm not looking to defend my stance on that. However, I don't believe this is a situation where spanking is going to work. Our best working form of discipline right now is standing in the corner. But again, not sure if it will work with the "no" thing because of how often it happens. How do I get her to start listening to me as an authority figure whether daddy is here or not?
Thanks!

Re: Please Help! Toddler not listening when daddy is gone!

• Have you read 1-2-3 Magic?  If not, I'd highly recommend it, at least as a starting point.  It helped me a lot when DH was deployed and DS was acting out because his daddy was gone.  Good luck!
  • It is possible that it is due to daddy being gone, but it sounds like pretty typical 2 year old behavior to me. It is called the terrible twos for a reason, lol. Hang in there.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLissa832:
    It is possible that it is due to daddy being gone, but it sounds like pretty typical 2 year old behavior to me. It is called the terrible twos for a reason, lol. Hang in there.

Yes

This is pretty typical of a 2.5 yr old, especially when a new baby is coming.  One of my biggest tips is not to call the baby you are carrying the new baby.  She will feel like she is being replaced and act out.  For instance, if her name is Emma, refer to baby as Emma's baby or Emma's baby sister.  It will make her feel involved and not like she is being replaced.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"