San Diego Babies
Options

UCSD Hillcrest Breastfeeding

I recently completed my UCSD Hillcrest Meet the Docs and Midwifes hospital tour and I am very discouraged.  I am currently a high risk patient and under the care of a perinatologist at USCD and am on several medications which are "assumed safe" for breastfeeding; however, I am not comfortable breastfeeding on a few of my medications that I cannot stop taking.  The risk of an adverse side effect from my medication in even 1 in 100 babies is too many in my opinion to take the risk.  I feel as though they only catered towards the natural child birth mothers even though their slogan was "your birth your way".  All the information regarding epidurals came secondary as more of an after thought and they indicated that formula would not be given to your infant until after the mother was sufficiently counseled as they indicated that most women who choose not to breastfeed are uneducated on the matter.  

I am wondering if anyone has delivered at UCSD and what their experience was not breastfeeding or having an epidural.  I am considered high risk and I am not even allowed to attempt having my baby in the birth center on the 4th floor.  I would have felt more comfortable is they would have had two information sessions and provide women with all the options available. 

Re: UCSD Hillcrest Breastfeeding

• Options

I'm sorry you were so discouraged with your tour.  I delivered DS at UCSD but I was aiming for the med-free birth so it was a good fit.  I ended up being induced & having a c/s & I never experienced any hesitation on the part of the MWs or docs. 

My BFF had a baby there & had an epi.  She knew she wanted one going in, told everyone that is what she wanted up front & right away & had no problems with them respecting her wishes.

With the BFing, I think what it will come down to is you telling them that you have done your homework & with the medications you are on, you feel the best option for your baby is formula.  They can't say no.  After a couple of days, it was determined that I wasn't producing enough for my DS & I was given formula by the nurses to supplement with. 

With both of these issues, I think you need to be up front with your OB.  I think you need to tell the OB your plans now, that you want an epi & you don't want to BF, and tell him frequently.  Also, maybe you should write it up in a birth plan & give it to the nurses you have when you are admitted.  Make it know up front & often.  Thell your SO that he also needs to be supportive of this & he needs to tell them all your plan, too.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"