Breastfeeding

Botox

My doctor has recommended that I have some botox injections to help a medical condition that I have.  I just want to be clear that this is not for a cosmetic reason.  My doctor doesn't know if it's compatible with BFing and googling it is not much help.  I did find where Dr. Hale says it's moderately safe, but everything else I read says it's not safe at all or there's no data.  Weaning is not an option for me right now.  I can postpone this for awhile if needed, but I am in a significant amount of pain and would like to have it done if it considered safe.  Does anyone here have any info on whether or not botox is safe?  TIA!

imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise

Re: Botox

• "No data exist on the medical use of botulin A (botulinum toxin) during breastfeeding. However, one infant was safely breastfed during maternal botulism and no botulinum toxin was detectable in the mother's milk or infant. Since the doses used medically are far lower than those that cause botulism, amounts ingested by the infant, if any, are expected to be insignificant and not cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. No special precautions are required."

"A woman developed botulism after ingesting fermented salmon eggs while breastfeeding her 8-month-old infant (extent not stated). Type A botulinum toxin was detected in the woman's blood and stools. No botulinum toxin was detected in the infant's blood or stool on the day the mother was admitted to the hospital and no botulism organisms were detected in the infant's stools. The infant developed no signs or symptoms of botulism even though she continued to nurse throughout the mother's hospitalization."

for more:

https://www.infantrisk.com/category/breastfeeding 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • GBCKGBCK member

we went round and round on this w/ docs when I was looking at possibly botox for migraines while TTC.  

Never got a good answer.

IMO, your doctor needs to pull head out o' azz and look up studies--he's the doc, it's his job.  BUT, I found there were painfully few studies on some of this stuff.  You're looking at 1 or 2 case studies.

IF doc says 'not safe', ask to see the studies--look at the ACTUAL numbers.  (because I already dealt with 'how is a .002% chance of a heart defect 'unsafe' for the baby but chronic pain that has me contemplating wrapping my car around a tree 'safe'?" stupidity w/ doctors) 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you rosiemomma.  The link is very helpful.

GBCK- I'm sorry you're dealing with migraines.  I don't have them, but understand they are truly debilitating.  I have found that most doctors know little about what's safe for breastfeeding.  There just doesn't seem to be a lot if info out there about botox specifically and no one wants to take the risk.

I think I'm going to continue researching.  I have another month before I have to make a decision.  Maybe things will get better for me before then.

imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"