Natural Birth

Help with induction discussion in birth plan

I'm doing everything I can in hopes that the baby will come before induction becomes necessary.  But if he doesn't -

What types of things should I ask for in an induction to increase my chances of still being able to go pain-med free and avoid a c-section?

Any suggestions on language for a birth plan on this issue?

My doctors want me to go in for cervidil the night before (13 days post EDD) and then start pitocin the next morning at 14 days post EDD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help with induction discussion in birth plan

• See post here and another post here about natural birth with induction.

I don't have a whole lot of suggestions, but that your doctor will let you go to 42 weeks is a good sign.

• I don't know if they even use it where I'm delivering, but I'm going to include in my birth plan that I want to avoid cytotec being used if I have to be induced.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageoverture:
    I don't know if they even use it where I'm delivering, but I'm going to include in my birth plan that I want to avoid cytotec being used if I have to be induced.

Thanks!  I have that.

I'm going to add something about reducing/stopping the pit if my body takes over and request telemetry for fetal monitoring (if available).

• Also, I want to include that should a c-section be necessary, I would like a double-layer uterine closure.  But I'll have to discuss the hospital policy with my midwife first.  If they routinely do single layer, who knows if they'll accomodate me, or if they'll even see my birth plan.
  • Have you thought about/researched starting with a foley bulb instead of cervidil?  They insert a ballon in your cervix that puts pressure on your cervix like the baby's head would.  It got me dilated from 2 to 3/4 and I lost my mucus plug after they removed it.  It puts some women (esp. if your body is ready) into labor w/o any medicine at all and I didn't find it all that uncomfortable.  They insert it the night before and you can still move around/go to the bathroom.

(My induction birth story is in my siggy if you are interested)

• When we were discussing induction, the method really depended on my body and where it was at. I was already 75% effaced, so using any cervix thinning methods really weren't going to make any difference. We started at 41 weeks with stripping my membranes and discussed breaking my water if things didn't go on their own. With my first, though, I was 0% effaced and 0% dilated, so pitocin was their first choice (although I would have rathered them start with a cervix thinning method, but that was 11 years ago).

So, I think if you want to put something in your birthplan about induction, it may be contingent on your effacement and dilation.

• imagejcsumm0:

Have you thought about/researched starting with a foley bulb instead of cervidil?  They insert a ballon in your cervix that puts pressure on your cervix like the baby's head would.  It got me dilated from 2 to 3/4 and I lost my mucus plug after they removed it.  It puts some women (esp. if your body is ready) into labor w/o any medicine at all and I didn't find it all that uncomfortable.  They insert it the night before and you can still move around/go to the bathroom.

(My induction birth story is in my siggy if you are interested)

I did ask about the Foley Bulb.  As of my last appointment, I wasn't dilated at all so it wasn't an option.  You have to be somewhat dialated so that they can insert it. 

Re other post - thanks.  I would like to avoid stripping my membranes if at all possible because I'm GBS+ and that puts me on a clock for delivery.

I feel like as of yesterday, the baby has somewhat dropped a little so I'm hoping that we'll find I've made some progress when I go in tomorrow for a NST and check-up.

• Just and FYI stripping your membrane's doesn't put you on a time clock, RUPTURING your members (aka breaking your water) is what puts you on a time clock.

I had my membrane's stripped with my last pg and went into labor 24 hours later and had my son 36 hours after membrane's were stripped.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I did a pitocin inductions with the twins and still went natural. It was fine. Get yourself a good supportive environment. I was more relaxed and it was easier than my first delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"