Natural Birth
Options

Intro and advice

I am having my second daughter in Nov, and am hoping for a natural birth.  Although that was my hope w/ DD #1 as well, I ended up being induced around 41 weeks--my mom was going in for major surgery a few days later and so when the dr suggested it I agreed because I really wanted/needed my mom to be there for a few days before going into the hospital for a week.  Anway, that ended up in an epidural which although was not my first plan, lead to a birth experience that was calm and overall very pleasant.

I still want to try for a natural birth this time, not because I think that there is anything wrong with meds or that it is bad for baby, or that it is the "right" way, but just because I want to.   I will deliver with an OB at a hospital and am comfortable with that decision.  The thing that I want to avoid is the panicky, out-of-control feeling I had last time prior to the epi.  I have read the Mongan hypobirthing book and am trying to keep up with practiciing, taking advantage of time during my weekly yoga class.  Although it sounds lame, attending a class (which would be a few hours away) is just not something I can really do at this point.  Any other suggestions for home preparation?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and advice

• Options

Do you have a supportive partner?

Would you consider hiring a doula?

I would recommend staying home as long as possible so that by the time you get to the hospital you don't even have time to think of an epidural.

I delivered at a hospital but labored at home for most of the time with DH and a doula. I arrived at the hospital 9.5 centimeters dilated so I was mostly pushing for the 4 hours or so until DS finally came. (pushing for 3 hours = not fun but that's a whole other story).

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options

My story is similar to yours.  I wanted a natural birth with DS#1 but ended up with Pit and an epidural.  I knew when I got pregnant with my 2nd that natural birth was once again the goal and I was determined to succeed. 

The only classes in this area are the hospital organized ones, which I didn't even bother attending.  I have Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and read that with DH, who was very supportive. 

Besides, that I agree with PP that staying out of the hospital for as long as possible decreases chances of intervention.  Also, make sure you have your birth plan submitted to your provider and carry copies with you when you go to the hospital.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered at the hospital with an OB also and managed to have the natural birth I had planned. I knew I wanted a natural birth so to help me get through it, I hired a Doula. If you are able to, I would highly suggest looking into getting one to help you through your labor. My Doula did massage through my contractions, acupressure to get my labor moving, she was calm and extremely supportive.

I told myself all through my pregnancy that an epidural wasn't an option (as long as there were no other complications, C/S, etc.) So going to the hospital, I didn't even entertain the idea that there were pain meds available to me. I think if you go through your pregnancy with that mindset, it will really help you on the big day. During labor I focused on breathing, relaxing through contractions, not allowing my body to tense up. I also kept moving, walking, sitting/standing, because lying down and waiting will only make your labor last longer. I used my husband as my physical support through labor as well, every single contraction from start to finish, I stood and leaned against him, hugging his middle... and he would tell me I'm doing a great job, etc... keeping me positive.

I didn't take any classes before labor either and I did just fine so I'm sure you will too :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a natural birth in a hospital. No doula or midwives...just a supportive DH and good nurses. I read up on the natural birth stories for ideas on how to cope and mental ideas I could try (telling myself to relax into contractions, and that my body knew what to do, etc).

I took a quick general labor class, but I think you could search online and find many of the same things...breathing deep/slow, moaning on exhale, different positions to lean or rock in, walking for early labor, sitting on a ball, heat/cold, massage, shower, tub, etc.

I didn't use everything...but it was comforting having a "toolbag" to pull from. No hypnobaby stuff for me either. But I might check that and some other things out from the library next time just to see if anything looks useful to me and my personality.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"