April 2011 Moms

starting the formula transition...

I didnt think I'd be this bummed! I've been breastfeeding exclusively for over 4 months now and it's really been something I've enjoyed. Now that I've been back to work for over 2 months, the pumping isn't cutting it, my milk supply is starting to dwindle. I am stressed over it (which doesn't help!) but have decided it's time to start supplementing. I am planning on weaning her by the time she's six months so it's probably for the best, I just didn't realize, or plan on being this upset about it.  Nothing against formual feeders, I don't think it's a bad thing, I just really had a wonderful nursing experience!

Any formula suggestions? I've heard Similac and Enfamil are good, don't know much about the others and I'm not sure what LO will like!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: starting the formula transition...

• I was bummed too.  Today DS is getting his last bottle of breast milk and then its all over.  I felt the same way as you do, but now that I don't have to pump and have more freedom, i feel a lot better about it.  good luck and congrats for making it this far with breastfeeding/pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is on Gerber Good Start Gentle and loves it!  She was EBF for the first 3 months and then I started supplementing and it was an easy transition and she is a fussy eater.  Its supposed to be gentler on their stomachs too.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i am still breastfeeding but we suppliment somedays when he just doesn't want the boob. we use Similac and jasper seems to like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will probably be in the same situation soon as LO is now taking three 7 oz bottles a day while I am at work and it is becoming impossible to pump that much.  As much as I loathe pumping I am really going to miss breast feeding.

Good luck and way to go making it this long. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm also in the same boat.  DD is currently still taking small bottles (2-4 oz) and eating frequently (4-5 while at daycare), but pedi warned us that a growth spurt - and eating spree - is just around the corner.  I'm still trying to pump for now, if only to keep up my supply for when I'm with her. I'm also using every herbal thing out there to try to produce as much as possible. I'm going to try pumping before nursing and see how that goes - DH can always give a bottle if needed.  I would love to make it to 12 months, but if I can make it to 6 I'll be really happy.  But we are already having to supplement with one bottle during the day (this is day two of supplementing, so that may go up quickly depending on how pumping goes).

Congrats on making it this long, and good luck with the transition!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"