LGBT Parenting
Options

Hello "Families"

Hi ladies - I know I am really in and out of here, but appreciate the board is here. I just finished my 2WW for IUI #3 with 50 mg clomid. Got a BFN and pretty disappointed... feeling kinda discouraged. Has anyone had an HSG? When did your OB or RE recommend this? Any input would be much appreciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hello "Families"

• Options

My doctor made me have an HSG before I could pursue any fertility treatments. I had a lot of anxiety about it because I have syncope issues (fainting) and I don't do well with lady exams- by now I am SO over it! Smile Some doctors prescribe anti-anxiety meds or tylenol before the procedure.

Basically you have to lay on an xray table and it is a lot like an IUI. A speculum and syringe are used. The difference is that there is a tiny little balloon on the syringe that opens up your cervix. This was the most painful part for me. Then they inject dye and take the x-rays to see if your tubes are blocked. They make you turn from side to side so they can get lots of pictures.

**Here is my advice** The doctor doing the procedure is supposed to tell you right then and there the results. Mine did not (he was mean and grumpy) so I had to call two weeks later and no one would release the results. Finally a nurse told me and said that she thought I already knew... sigh. This is what I get for having Kaiser in California. But I can't really complain because they cover infertility.

Good luck! I finally got pregnant on 100 mg of Clomid. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

BabyName Ticker ***** Married to M 6/25/2010***** *****IUI #1 5/3/2011 BFN***** IUI #2 w/ 50mg of Clomid 5/30/2011 BFN******* *****IUI #3 w/ 50mg of Clomid 6/28/2011 BFN****** *******IUI #4 w/ 100 mg of Clomid 7/28/2011 BFP @ 11dpiui (Beta #1 @ 11dpiui 36) (Beta #2 @ 13dpiui 121)****** BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks s much for the feedback... helps to know what I am getting into. The IUIs, in general have been extremely painful for me so I am not looking forward to the HSG, but maybe it makes the most sense at this point... I hear chances of concieving are slightly higher right after HSG. Where in CA are you? We are in Long Beach.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry about your BFN.  :( 

I had an HSG as part of the initial work-up.  The doctor said I could wait a few cycles if I wanted to, but I went for it because it was covered and I didn't want to take any unnecessary risk paying for sperm/IUI if there was an issue.  For me it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of the stories I've seen on the internet.  When the dr started it was uncomfortable and I got really nervous all of a sudden that it was going to be really bad, and then all of a sudden he was like "Okay, one more minute" and I was like what, you're almost done?  It doesn't have to be miserable!

I'm sure I'm going to be back here crying after 3 failed IUIs too, but there's really no reason to despair after 3 tries.  Unfortunately this is a very gimmicky process.  I know the stories of people being successful on a first or second try get my hopes up too, but there are many many people for whom it takes longer - and that's completely normal.  Have you been on 50 mg Clomid for all three cycles?  Has your dr been happy with the way you're responding to Clomid?  Have you and your dr felt that the timing of your IUIs has been good? 

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    I'm up in Northern CA. Near Sacramento. I would also like to add to my sister that if it hadn't been for my nerves/syncope the HSG wouldn't have been so bad. BUT, I would still take some tylenol ahead of time. And God forbid something is up (blocked tubes, etc.) that is supposed to cause a lot more pain. Keep us posted!
    BabyName Ticker ***** Married to M 6/25/2010***** *****IUI #1 5/3/2011 BFN***** IUI #2 w/ 50mg of Clomid 5/30/2011 BFN******* *****IUI #3 w/ 50mg of Clomid 6/28/2011 BFN****** *******IUI #4 w/ 100 mg of Clomid 7/28/2011 BFP @ 11dpiui (Beta #1 @ 11dpiui 36) (Beta #2 @ 13dpiui 121)****** BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

DO NOT SAY THAT.... hopefully you will be back telling us about your BFP!!!! But thanks for the kindness anyway!

It's funny - I see that more than 3 IUIs is actually quite normal and many just get pregnant on IUI 4 or 5 with no additional issues. I guess I am just surprised that with follicle studies, perfect timing, and clomid that science isn't better. People have accidental pregnancies all the time, so I can't wrap my head around the fact that with all things in a row pregnancy doesn't happen right away with IUI.

I will talk with the doc on Monday (or schedule an appt) and decide which route to take.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll keep you posted.

• Options
    Hi mindingpandq!  I've never had an HSG but wanted to say hello since we live so close to one another, I live in San Bernardino (moved here from LB 3 1/2 years ago).
  • Options
    Thanks for saying hi butterfly! Yes we are neighbors. My partner actually just applied for job in Yucaipa which would make us more neighbors. People have been swaying us away from San Bernardino suggesting it's not the best place to raise a family if you are gay. How have your experiences been?
  • Options

imagemindingpandq:
    Thanks for saying hi butterfly! Yes we are neighbors. My partner actually just applied for job in Yucaipa which would make us more neighbors. People have been swaying us away from San Bernardino suggesting it's not the best place to raise a family if you are gay. How have your experiences been?

We live in the "good/safe" part of San Bernardino and haven't encountered any issues in our area.  We occasionally get random looks (not sure if it's the gay thing, or that we have a white kid, a black kid, and a cambodian kid) but you would be surprised how many familes live out here, A LOT.  I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable because we are a same-sex family, people are generally accepting here unless you live in the horrible areas.

We are also looking at the Yucaipa/Calimesa area, we want to buy a farm out there.

• Options
    Good luck!!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"