April 2011 Moms

Help me be rational, Please!

My husband has not been feeling well for the last week and a half.  I asked him the first day to go to the doctor's, but he didn't.  He's not feeling horrible all the time, just getting headaches, muscle aches, and low grade fever.  Well, finally last night when his fever went up to 101.5, he agreed to go to the doctor's.  He went this morning and they haven't a clue what's wrong, probably viral.  He goes for bloodwork and testing tomorrow (which probably won't get results till early next week).  I don't want my husband anywhere near LO.  He's been around him all this week while he's been not feeling well, but when his fever jumped last night, I drew the line.  The very irrational part of me, wants to tell DH to go stay with his mother until he's feeling better, and then bleach my entire house.  I realize that's a tad extreme.  But what do you do, when you know that LO is going to be exposed to illness?  Especially when EVERYTHING is going into LO's mouth these days?  Any thoughts?  Anybody been sick or DH's been sick yet? How did you handle it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help me be rational, Please!

• In the very beginning when Liam was only maybe two weeks old, Jared was being awful one night--"Why's he crying? What's his problem?" And Jared is NOT like that. It turned out he had a 104.5 fever from an infected tooth. (He has veteran's insurance and has to about die to get dental work done.) I know it's different than something viral, but it still freaked me out. He got antibiotics from the ER and was fine almost immediately.

As far as what to do, just common sense. No holding the baby close to his face for DH (the way we do with babies), no kissing him, no letting the baby suck on his fingers or "maul" him... Lots of handwashing with antibacterial soap, etc. Hope he's feeling better soon!

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with Shaindel, I think the basic precautions are enough.  As far as your DH is concerned I hope he feels better soon and they find out what is going on!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Agree that banishing your DH is pretty extreme.  You, DH, and LO are all going to share illness at one point or another.  Do the best you can to minimize exposure by using proper procedures (hand washing, keeping DH away from LO's face and mouth, etc) and hopefully DH will kick it without LO getting anything.

My DS actually did have a viral infection this week with a high fever and sore throat.  It's been awful as all I can do is love on him and give him tylenol for the pain and to reduce the fever (we saw the doctor as well, of course).  But he's a kid, and kids get sick.  Even if your LO picks up the illness, hopefully it'll run it's course in a short amount of time.

Hope DH feels better soon!

• While I understand your concern for your LO, it is a bit much to ask your DH to leave his own home when he is sick. Like pp mentioned, taking the necessary precautions such as hand washing, not getting in LO's face, etc.. will really help a lot. If your LO was with your DH a lot before the fever spiked though, they very well may have already passed the germs. Unfortunately, your LO will get the germs eventually one way or another. Hopefully, you can skip it this time though!
    Lilypie - (MLGF)Lilypie - (yERV)
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"