October 2011 Moms

toxicity of baby products (J&J, Aveeno, California Baby...)

I don't know if this has been shared on here before but this site allows you to put in a specific baby product and it gives a comprehensive breakdown of the ingredients and any potentially hazardous or toxic effects they may have. I found it really informative. You can search for non-baby products too like your own make-up etc.

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: toxicity of baby products (J&J, Aveeno, California Baby...)

• I was just discussing this sort of thing with a coworker yesterday in the lunchroom. Basically, everything has a possibility of being dangerous in one way or another and different people/baby's are going to react differently to the same products....I'm not going to freak out about it. People have been using J&J baby products for decades. If they were causing an outrageous number of problems, they would not still be on the market or so widely recomended. Use basic caution and common sense and you will be fine.
  • imagebabybuckley:
    I was just discussing this sort of thing with a coworker yesterday in the lunchroom. Basically, everything has a possibility of being dangerous in one way or another and different people/baby's are going to react differently to the same products....I'm not going to freak out about it. People have been using J&J baby products for decades. If they were causing an outrageous number of problems, they would not still be on the market or so widely recomended. Use basic caution and common sense and you will be fine.

This attitude is totally anti-intellectual.

I use skin deep for everything I put on my body and will for baby, too. There are plenty of reasonably priced natural alternatives out there. It just requires a little extra effort and research, and I think our babies are worth it. 

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't went to the website yet, but I do know I will not be using J&J or anything else with parabens. I don't use them on myself, so I sure won't be using them on my baby either. Right now I plan to use Aveeno and Burt's Bees. I'll check out the website provided too. Thanks for sharing!
    imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
  • I personally love Aveeno it really helps with my dry skin. My husband just so happens to love J&J and that really is all he will use. If I happen to run out of my own body wash I will use the J&J and it gives me no problems either, I just prefer the Aveeno. My brother and I were raised with J&J and so was my husband and his siblings and millions of other babies. I will try it with my kids but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. You cant go crazy 24/7 about things if you did you'd live in a bubble KWIM? If it is really bad why is it on the market and why do DR's recommend it? I wouldn't use products I didn't like on my kids but I happen to use these on a daily basis. I don't know call me crazy but that is just my personal belief. 
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Good site--I read a lot about this with my first baby. We are loyal to California Baby Super Sensitive Body and Hair Wash. I used it for DS' first bath and he still uses it today at 3 years old. Love it! :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • California baby smells so very good. I have been trying to stock up. I got a lot of J&J at showers and I am sure we will use it...just maybe not on baby right away. I just really love the lavendar smell of the the california baby. Yummmm.
    DS Born 10/05/99 DSS Born 7/11/95 BFP 05/11/10 - Missed M/C, D&C 06/23/10 BFP 8/3/2010 - Ectopic, Methotrexate 8/17/10 BFP 1/27/11- Please God let this heart beat strong. Beta1 17dpo-314 Beta2 20dpo-883 Beta3 22dpo-1861 Beta4 25dpo-5918 DS2 Born 10/07/99 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he shall be given over to the LORD." 1Sam1v24to28.
  • imagesbjardine:
    California baby smells so very good. I have been trying to stock up. I got a lot of J&J at showers and I am sure we will use it...just maybe not on baby right away. I just really love the lavendar smell of the the california baby. Yummmm.

I looove California Baby products too - I just can not believe how expensive they are! But worth it, IMO...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • https://www.everydayshea.com/shea-butter.asp I love these products and will be using the baby line for LO. The unscented moisturizer smells funny but that's because it's unrefined and is actually what shea butter smells like! I use the lavendar body wash and conditioner. Lovelovelove
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • imagegkmacdon:

imagesbjardine:
    California baby smells so very good. I have been trying to stock up. I got a lot of J&J at showers and I am sure we will use it...just maybe not on baby right away. I just really love the lavendar smell of the the california baby. Yummmm.

I looove California Baby products too - I just can not believe how expensive they are! But worth it, IMO...

California Baby stuff lasts forever. We're only on our second big bottle of body wash/shampoo and DS is 17 months old. 

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tried to look up the Johnsons and Johnson Naturals Baby Products but couldn't find it on the website. Has anyone heard if it reallly is better than the regular stuff? I read the ingredients and did not see any parabens at least.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"