Health & Exercise

Zumba & Rollerblading during pregnancy

I was thinking of signing up for zumba classes in the fall but was worried that it may be too high intensity for early (1st trimester) pregnancy.  I currently work out 3-4 days per week (running and lifting weights).  If I just follow my bodies cues zumba should be fine right?

Also, DH and I have just gotten back into rollerblading.  We always take DS with us in this:

It has a hand brake and I usually push it (because I like the extra stability!).  I'm assuming that because my risk of falling is lower while pushing this I should be okay to continue with this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Zumba & Rollerblading during pregnancy

• I would not give up the Zumba class or anything in the beginning for that matter. Zumba classes (or any other workout) are what you make of it. It will just be more important to listen to your body and slow down if you are needing a break. Exercising in 1st tri will not hurt your baby.

As for the rollerblading, if you are always on smooth terrain, I would keep going until your bump appears and your center of gravity shifts. I, personally, would stop then (stroller or not). Some might say nay as there is always a risk of falling.

I would definitely run all of this by the dr though. How far along are you?

ETA: Dr's used to advise you not to let your HR go over 140 bpm when working out while pregnant, but that has kind of gone out the window now. I sense the general consensus is that you should be able to carry on a conversation. If you can't, you are working too hard.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I take zumba classes and make my own modifcations since the class is high intensity. I modify the jumping part. I also wear a heart rate monitor and try not to go over 140.  If I forget my heart rate monitor, I try to sing along during class.  If I am winded, I know I am working too hard.  You should be able to carry on a conversation while working out.  Also, I stopped rollerblading.  I don't want to risk falling.  Good luck and enjoy your fit pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • I kept up my prepregnancy routine for the most part including teaching and taking Zumba.  Just listen to your body.

I did give up rollerblading and outdoor cycling but continued my indoor cycling classes.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Yes do Zumba during pregnancy. Modify the moves for you. I would have done it up to the day I delivered if I wasn't put on modified bed rest. If your body can't move a certain way, that's fine. Do something that fits for you. If you feel that it's too high intensity for you, take Zumba Gold. Same work out, same music, same movies just less intensity. Ask your Zumba instructor for tips and ideas for you. We are all pretty friendly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"