TTC after 35
Options

SSH Levels?

I had my 3 Day Menses bloodwork this morning and a nurse called to tell me that my SSH level is 17.6 which she said was elevated.  She said a good number is below 14 and that I need to discuss this with my RE during my follow-up appointment next Tuesday. Now I'm very anxious.  What does this SSH number mean?

Re: SSH Levels?

• Options

I'm guessing it was FSH, which is your level of follicle stimulating hormone.  It can be a sign of diminished ovarian reserve and usually means you will need higher doses of meds to stimulate production for IUI or IVF.  Did they also give you numbers for Estradiol (E2), AMH, and AFC (follicle count)?   Those numbers all have to be looked at together to get a good picture of your ovarian reserve.  It's not a reason to panic at this point.  Here's some good info on this website:

https://www.advancedfertility.com/ovarian-reserve.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I think you mean FSH= follicle stimulating hormone.

Mine is 17.3. It's not good. It usually means we have diminished ovarian reserve and can be hard to stimulate with drugs. Did you get an AMH level or have an antral follicle count done?  They all go together for the DOR diagnosis.

Here is some info; https://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm

Warning: the internet will make you feel depressed about this big time.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Nice job ELF--

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Options

No I only got the FSH level  Thanks for correcting me about the name -- I had a bad cell phone connection.

I'm going to try to be brave about this.

• Options
    imageMrs.McIrish:

Nice job ELF--

Great minds think alike Smile

• Options
    imageMelissa66:

No I only got the FSH level  Thanks for correcting me about the name -- I had a bad cell phone connection.

You're definitely on the right board for DOR (diminished ovarian reserve) issues.  Stick around, and let us know when you get your other numbers -- you will probably find a few of us here in the same boat.  Good luck!

• Options
    imageELF4321:
    imageMelissa66:

You're definitely on the right board for DOR (diminished ovarian reserve) issues.  Stick around, and let us know when you get your other numbers -- you will probably find a few of us here in the same boat.  Good luck!

Unfortunately this is true-- lots of DOR ladies here.

Melissa- FSH rises naturally in every woman as you approach menopause. It just rises faster and earlier for some of us than others. But we have had a few natural PG on this board this year with ladies with high FSH. So it doesn't mean you can't get PG but it usually takes longer and is much harder.  For illustration: I just did IVF.  A "normal" woman might get 15-20 eggs. I got 3 on max drugs.  With only 3, the odds are that they are going to be abnormal just because that's what happens with age (sadly).  Of course they can be normal too. It's a crap shoot I feel.

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Options
    I have elevated FSH as well, but mine was found through the Clomid Challenge test. Try not to stress too much - it's just one part of the picture. Have you had your Antral Follicle Count done yet? The RE will want to be aggressive with your treatment though. For example I skipped Clomid altogether and went straight to injectables. However, there are still lots of ways to get pregnant. It may just take longer and be harder, which we knew going into this a bit older anyway. 
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagesolarflare:
    I have elevated FSH as well, but mine was found through the Clomid Challenge test. Try not to stress too much - it's just one part of the picture. Have you had your Antral Follicle Count done yet? The RE will want to be aggressive with your treatment though. For example I skipped Clomid altogether and went straight to injectables. However, there are still lots of ways to get pregnant. It may just take longer and be harder, which we knew going into this a bit older anyway. 

No Clomid Challenge test done. 

Thanks, ladies, for all your support!  As always, you support me, educate me and lift my spirits.  I'm truly blessed to have friends here who understand how hard every step in this process can be.  Smile

• Options
    imageMelissa66:

imagesolarflare:

Thanks, ladies, for all your support!  As always, you support me, educate me and lift my spirits.  I'm truly blessed to have friends here who understand how hard every step in this process can be.  Smile

A lot of REs don't do this test anymore.. 

• Options
    imageELF4321:
    imageMelissa66:

imagesolarflare:

A lot of REs don't do this test anymore.. 

Yes - I heard this as well. I didn't know if I should pay as much attention to those results but...my RE is, so I have to as well. 

ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"