Pre-School and Daycare

Best Disney Princess Movie for 3yo

Lily hasn't seen any Disney princess movies, and I'm thinking about getting one for a long car trip we have coming up. The trouble is, so many of them seem to have really scary elements to them.

What's your recommendation for the best one? Right now I'm thinking The Little Mermaid, but I've never seen it so I'm not sure.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Best Disney Princess Movie for 3yo

• They are ALL scary! Dora movie or Word World are better, much less scary. But my DD loves beauty and the beast.
  • Not a princess movie, but I would do one of the Tinkerbell movies instead. ALL the Disney Princess movies have elements that are better for older kids. The Tinkerbell movies (especially the first) and much gentler and age appropriate.

• Loading the player...
  • Cinderella is the least scary IMO. I'll also let them watch some of the other ones and just skip the scary parts. My kids really like lady and the tramp, too, and the aristocats. They're not princess movies, but they're classics :)  IMO Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are the worst, so stay away from them. 
  • They're all ok for a 3yr old.  DS2 has seen all the princess movies and he's not scared of any of them. I've collected them all on DVD because I like them.  His favorite is probably "The Princess and the Frog" cause of the music.  He also really enjoyed "Fantasia and Fantasia 2000".

I've never seen a 3 yr old girl afraid of a Disney Princess movie. Of course, their parents let them watch it to see if they would be or not.   It's not like they're watching "Nightmare on Elm St." or anything. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • DD loves most of the Princess movies.  Her favorites seem to be Cinderella and Tangled. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageSpin313:
    Not a princess movie, but I would do one of the Tinkerbell movies instead. ALL the Disney Princess movies have elements that are better for older kids. The Tinkerbell movies (especially the first) and much gentler and age appropriate.

Ditto! My MIL bought DD 3 Tinkerbell movies, and she is obsessed with them. She loves them and they aren't scary at all. DD also loved Little Mermaid, but I agree--the sea witch scenes are a bit scary.

Also, DD really enjoyed Tangled, and I can't remember there being any scary scenes in it.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Tink is a great way to start- they are all cute and very child friendly.

Princess and the Frog scares my child, the Shadow Man scenes are what scares her.  The music is good though. 

I think all of the Princess movies have an element of darkness, Tangled seems to have a lesser darkness to it. 

Sad, but true, my daughter LOVES Bambi.  I am pretty sure she doesn't understand what is going on totally.  Also, Lady and the Tramp.

• imagemabma80:

They're all ok for a 3yr old.  DS2 has seen all the princess movies and he's not scared of any of them. I've collected them all on DVD because I like them.  His favorite is probably "The Princess and the Frog" cause of the music.  He also really enjoyed "Fantasia and Fantasia 2000".

I've never seen a 3 yr old girl afraid of a Disney Princess movie. Of course, their parents let them watch it to see if they would be or not.   It's not like they're watching "Nightmare on Elm St." or anything. 

No - it actually depends on the individual child. My daughter closes her eyes during the "scary" parts of "Wonder Pets and doesn't like seeing "scary men" on Curious George. Your generalization was a bit obnoxious and naive in my opinion. I will not be showing my almost 3 year old any Disney movies for quite some time because I know her and what she can handle.

In response to the original post, I have friends who have edited disney movies on their computer to take out the scary parts. I think it's a great idea if you have the time!

DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • imagemabma80:

They're all ok for a 3yr old.  DS2 has seen all the princess movies and he's not scared of any of them. I've collected them all on DVD because I like them.  His favorite is probably "The Princess and the Frog" cause of the music.  He also really enjoyed "Fantasia and Fantasia 2000".

Actually I have seen many 3 yo olds afraid of the Princess Disney movies. Most of them have pretty scary scenes, at least for a 3 yo.

I ditto the others on the Tinkerbell movies.  DD watched them and she really liked them.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ditto on Tinkerbell.
  • imagemabma80:

My DD is similar to yours.   She started enjoying the Disney movies at age 3 and was a Princess freak since (and still is despite some of her friends movin on to older material).  She's watched them all and never been afraid.  I think it depends on the child.  Mine is not timid or shy. She does not scare easily.  I do believe that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are the scariest.  I had forgotted about some parts in Snow White and did get a little concerned but DD didn't seem to mind. She loves the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.  Cinderella is nice but if your child is sensitive to being treatedly badly-- maybe not.  Some of these are hard to get though because of the way the Disney vault works.  

The new ones, my DD absolutely loves Tangled but it does have some scary parts.  My DS1 had to hold my hand during them : )  I have also had friends whose DC was scared during Princess and the frog.  Frankly, I could never sit through the entire tinkerbelle movies- i got bored...my kids like them tho

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't do the princess movies since they all have the element of "evil" in them. DD loves Tinkerbell, though. The worst thing I can think of in Tink is the Dad catching a butterfly in a jar.
  • Cinderella really has no scary parts in it at all, the 1st and 3rd tinkerbell is also good. My DD is not really afraid of anything but did want me to fast foward through snow white for a while, even though she claims that she is her favorite princess.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Cinderella for sure.  In my daughter's words, the "scary" part is when the evil stepmother locks Cinderella in the tower room so she can't try on the slipper.  Nothing violent, scary, etc.  
  • I vote Cinderella as least scary & a good starter. Then maybe Tangled. My girls have seen all the princess movies & loved them. They have never been scared at all.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Gisele STILL won't watch Tangled. Mother Gothel scares the BEJEZUS out of her. She freaks out. and Gisele NEVER gets scared over things.

Cinderella. nothing scary in that one.

She used to love Sleeping Beauty and then got scared of the dragon. Same with Princess and the Frog (shadow man). I am sure its a phase.

Lady and the Tramp and Aristocats were good ones. And for some reason she LOOOOVES pinocchio.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My DD will tell you she doesn't like the princesses, and that is because the movies scare her. They all have dark elements, and DD is very sensitive to the reactions of a main character.  If a main character is scared then so is DD.  If the character is sad then so is DD.  She has a hard time believing that it will turn out OK as she is caught up in the moment.  She cries at the resolution, because it is such a relief for her that there is a happy ending.  Watching Disney movies (any movie really) can be such an emotional roller coaster for her.

However, Tinkerbell she loves.  I also agree with others that say Cinderella is the least scary.

It really does boil down to the individual child.  We by no means shelter her or avoid showing her movies, but that is the reaction she has when encounters them.  I do not introduce new movies in a situation where I can't sit with her and talk her through them.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the thoughts on this. Disney movies can scare a 3 year old! My daughter gets a little freaked watching Martha Speak on PBS!

Anyway, I'm starting with Tinker Bell and Cinderella. Thanks again! 

• Tangled is the best one I've come across. Very few, if any, scary moments. My DD hasn't complained about it being scary and the animation is beautiful.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imagemabma80:

I don't think that is a fair/true generalization. DD is not quite 3 but she does not like Snow White because of the witch. She doesn't like 101 Dalmatians either because she thinks Cruella is mean and scary. She just doesn't like mean/scary things and I am not going to make her watch them. I let DS stay up during nap time about once a month to watch Dalmatians because he loves that movie and DD won't watch it.

OP, DD likes Tinkerbell, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast. She was a little afraid of the beast at first but now that she has watched it and has seen the beast being nice she loves that movie.  There are some scary scenes with the sea witch in Mermaid. DD has not watched that one yet because I know she would not like it either.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"