April 2011 Moms

s/o Sophie and other toys

How are you ladies cleaning LO's toys? I had been just soaking (not Sophie, I've heard that kills her, so she gets a brush cleaning) in really hot water/dish soap, but now that DD was sick, I really want to disinfect things better. I know that's not what caused the problem, but I'm in a bit of a paranoia fit right now.

Re: s/o Sophie and other toys

• depending on the toy, just super hot water and soap.  For certain items, I've even put them in the microwave bottle sanitizer after washing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so glad you posted this, I've been thinking about the same thing. I've only used soapy water too.

And as for Sophie... does your LO love hers? I keep hearing great things, I'm thinking I should make a purchase.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagemaddiehohn:

And as for Sophie... does your LO love hers? I keep hearing great things, I'm thinking I should make a purchase.  

HAHA- I literally just posted that today.

• Toys that water cannot get into... like his rings I run through the dishwasher. I use soap and water on sophie (LO Loves!) but I cover the hole with my finger.  Other toys I use hot water and soap.  If a toy cannot get washed easy I use paci wipes on the hard surfaces.  I am going to start soaking in bleach and water... very diluted once a week or two.
    ~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • imagemaddiehohn:

I'm so glad you posted this, I've been thinking about the same thing. I've only used soapy water too.

She loves Sophie.

• I was actually wondering what everyone was doing with the fabric toys that say surface wash only? We have wiped those down with pacifier wipes, but I don't feel like it is properly doing the job. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehandsonthewheel:
    I was actually wondering what everyone was doing with the fabric toys that say surface wash only? We have wiped those down with pacifier wipes, but I don't feel like it is properly doing the job. 

Which ones?

I wash her playmat and lovies in the washing machine and then air dry them. They've all held up well to it.

• imageScout05:

Which ones?

I wash her playmat and lovies in the washing machine and then air dry them. They've all held up well to it.

I guess the ones I'm not sure about are some of the stuffed animals, fabric books with those crinkly pages, or stuffed toys that have all sorts of pieces attached--mirror, plastic, etc. I've hand-washed a few but others don't seem likely to hold up well in water... 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehandsonthewheel:
    imageScout05:

Which ones?

I guess the ones I'm not sure about are some of the stuffed animals, fabric books with those crinkly pages, or stuffed toys that have all sorts of pieces attached--mirror, plastic, etc. I've hand-washed a few but others don't seem likely to hold up well in water... 

Gotcha. Yeah, I throw them all in the washing machine. I figure if they can't hold up to that, they'll never survive DD.

• imageScout05:

Gotcha. Yeah, I throw them all in the washing machine. I figure if they can't hold up to that, they'll never survive DD.

Haha, good point! Will give the washing machine a go on it all!  

Pregnancy Ticker

• I suggest stuffed animals go in a pillow case and tied up in the washing machine, it keeps the "fur" from matting.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageGHBEA:
    I suggest stuffed animals go in a pillow case and tied up in the washing machine, it keeps the "fur" from matting.

Ohh, thank you for the suggestion! Will definitely give this a go!  

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageGHBEA:
    I suggest stuffed animals go in a pillow case and tied up in the washing machine, it keeps the "fur" from matting.

:::this:::

all plastic toys and fabric toys with squeakers, rattles, etc.  i just hand wash with hot water and dish soap and leave on a towel to air dry.  this including sophie.  just don't submerge her.  keep a finger over her squeaker hole. 

and yes, my LO loves his sophie.  i highly recommend getting one.   

TTC #2 Since October 2012
    BFP 11.1.12/EDD 7.7.13 MMC 12.4.12 D&E 12.10.12
    BFP 3.25.13/EDD 11.29.13 MC 4.6.13
    BFP 8.20.13 early MC 8.24.13
    BFP 9.20.13/EDD 6.5.14 Hoping & Praying this is our Rainbow Baby

• For any rubber or chew toys, I wash them with hot water and the Palmolive Baby Bottle, Toy, & Dish Wash. I like how gentle it is and it smells fanfriggintastic! I think I'm more addicted to the smell then what it's actually used for, lol.

As for stuffed animals, I put them all in a mesh bag and toss them in the washing machine. Then I use the dryer on the sanitize setting.

We also love Sophie! He chews on her all the time and loves the squeaks she makes. He giggles each time he squeezes it. I also make sure to cover the squeaker when washing it so it doesn't get water inside. 

Lilypie - (MLGF)Lilypie - (yERV)
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"