Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Another clean-up question

Cleaning up after play time is part of our routine and he used to LOVE putting his toys back into the toy chest, up until a few weeks ago.  Now he LOVES ignoring me when I tell him it's time to clean up.  Little tricks like asking, "where do your cars go (in the toy chest)?" and "where does your bear live (on his red wagon)," but no more.  He seems to be wondering what I will do if he chooses not to clean up.  Honestly, I'm not sure what to do, because I feel like 18 months is a little bit too young for a time-out or other more sophisticated consequences, and he doesn't seem to mind ME putting his toys away.  I was planning on starting the 1-2-3 Magic approach as he gets closer to age 2 (I have yet to finish the book, but if there is a specific part I should look at, let me know).   I'm wondering what the best way of dealing with behavior issues at this point is.  Any advice would be great!  Thanks, ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: Another clean-up question

• imagelasposa425:
    Have you tried singing a clean up song?  We sing "clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere.  clean up, clean up everybody do your share."  HTH

E sings this song every time she cleans.  Barney is good for something, besides headaches. 

• We also sing the Barney song someone mention above.  I take the toy away and put it in my closet for awhile if Emerson flat refuses to pick it up.  She is at the age where this really bothers her and we have been doing it awhile.  That's what is recommended in the Love & Logic philosophy (Magic 1 2 3 book).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are giving DS a task and is outright refusing, then there should be consequences. Maybe by telling him for example if he does not want to but his bear way then he can not play with him.  If he is watching you put his things away after you told him to do it, then why should he obey your other commands? Discipline is a touchy subject for some people. It's like politics and religion, not something you should talk about openly with everyone! I am finding that with my DD, my methods of disciplining can be hit or miss. DH and I are still trying to figure it out. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageougrad1:

We also sing the Barney song someone mention above.  I take the toy away and put it in my closet for awhile if Emerson flat refuses to pick it up.  She is at the age where this really bothers her and we have been doing it awhile.  That's what is recommended in the Love & Logic philosophy (Magic 1 2 3 book).

That's what we do. If he doesn't treat a toy properly (throwing, being overly destructive, etc), then the toy gets taken away. He does NOT like that. And I've recently started it with clean-up, too, and it seems to be helping.

"If you aren't able to help me put your crayons away, I'm putting the crayosn up and you won't be able to color this afternoon." He responds well to this method....for now. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the input.  I think we will definitely begin giving him some more concrete consequences (especially since he seems to practically be asking me for them by ignoring me).  We do sing the clean-up song as well.  Thanks again!  Have a great weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"