January 2012 Moms
Options

Jogging at 39 weeks?

My SIL is still jogging 2 miles twice a week and is due next week!  Such motivation...is that even safe?  I haven't stepped foot in a gym and have only gone on one walk.  I do stand, squat, climb ladders, etc for 8 hours a day without a chair break or place to sit, so I am moderately active.  But jogging??  Not going to happen.  I do plan on going back to a light all over weight training class called Body Pump for arm and leg strength, but no cardio besides my 30 minute walk that I plan on taking one of these days. 

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

Re: Jogging at 39 weeks?

• Options
    Thats impressive! It sounds like it could be uncomfortable, but I guess if she is able to do it then it cant be too bad.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds very painful to me, but she is carrying so high she said it doesn't hurt at all.  She said it has kept her from swelling, kept her energy and mood up, etc.  I wish I had the energy to do anything physical.  Feel so lazy when I am not working.  She looks amazing, of course.

Layla 01.08.12

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The hardest part is getting yourself to do it (especially after a day of work). It's not so bad once you're actually doing it and it feels even better when you're done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If she's been doing it the entire time and doesn't have any pregnancy complications, it's definitely safe. However, the only way I'll be jogging/running at that point in pregnancy is if I'm being chased. lol
  • Options
    I'm still jogging at this point but ohmygoodness I am painfully slow. 10k @28 weeks will likely be my pregnancy running swan song. Curious, what do you do requiring ladders?
  • Options
    I am going to have to go with everyones pregnancy is different b/c there is no way I'd be able to run at 39w. It hurt to walk towards the end with my last two. I'm still running now, but some days I do start to feel crampy or get RLP during. Plus my knee has been more achy from the added weight.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm still running 35-50 minutes on weekdays and a weekly long run of 8-10 miles.  I'm hoping to run a half marathon at 28 weeks (run/walk is probably more accurate).  I'd love to be running at 39 weeks but we'll see.  It's more likely a waddle but of course you have to see how you're carrying and how you feel.
    Mama to a baby girl born 1/21/2012.
    Currently back stateside but missing Kenya!
  • Options
    There is nothing unsafe about it as long as she stays well hydrated and listens to her body's cues.  It will tell her when it is time to stop.  Most women who run can't make it that far into their pregnancies, but there are quite a few women on the nest Health and Fitness board who run during pregnancy.  Several even ran marathons.

My little goofball born 1/2012
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is quite impressive to be running at 39 weeks!! I am still running now and I 'hope' to be running until the end. Granted, I am a LOT slower than I was before getting pregnant, but I have found that it is the BEST workout for me as far as keepming me motivated and energized. Guess I really love that runner's high! My doctors are all runners and they strongly encourage it for as long as I am comfortable. I do the body pump class too and kickboxing, I just tone it down a bit. Everyone is different, but as long as you listen to your body, you should be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageBostonGayGal:
    I'm still jogging at this point but ohmygoodness I am painfully slow. 10k @28 weeks will likely be my pregnancy running swan song. Curious, what do you do requiring ladders?

I just work retail.  It doesn't sound physical, but we have 3 stock rooms spread out, and many of the shoes and clothing is placed high enough where I am up and down step-ladders all day...nothing too tall:)  Then a lot of stuff is low in cases and drawers so I spend a lot of time squatting down and bent over.  And we stand constantly.  So I am grateful I get that activity in all day.

Layla 01.08.12

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options
    If you are a runner before you are expecting, it is supposedly safe to continue with your runs, but you are not supposed to start a new workout routine during pregnancy.  With my first child, I ran 3 miles a couple of times a week until 34 weeks and then had to listen to my body which was not very happy after that last run.  The pressure on my back from the size of my belly by that time was just too great.  Even once I stopped running, though, I continued with the elliptical 2-3x/wk and speed walks for 45 minutes 2-3x/wk.  It really helped with the overall weight gain and I think made my labor much easier.  Still running 17 weeks into this pregnancy and will continue unless my OB (or my body) tells me otherwise!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What isn't safe at 39 weeks?  

I think if your routine is too strenuous in the 1st trimester, that can be dangerous.  But if she is a runner, running throughout her pregnancy is supposed to be fine :)

She sounds super hardcore! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAnnieTater:

What isn't safe at 39 weeks?  

I think if your routine is too strenuous in the 1st trimester, that can be dangerous.  But if she is a runner, running throughout her pregnancy is supposed to be fine :)

She sounds super hardcore! 

Haha....so true!  I guess by the time you are 39 weeks it doesn't matter and obviously it has been safe:)

Layla 01.08.12

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"