Philadelphia Babies

Ken Crest child care-Rosemont

Does anyone have any experience with Ken Crest child care in Rosemont? I just found out they have a discount program for staff at Villanova...where my husband works, so I'm planning to check them out...But I thought I'd see if any of you ladies have had any experience w/ them or have heard anything about them.

Re: Ken Crest child care-Rosemont

• My husband works right in front of this daycare.  I called recently to get some information and was told that they are changing their program soon and will no longer be taking infants.  I think they said they are going 1yo plus (I can't remember exactly though).  So depending on how old your LO is... it might not work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I called yesterday and heard the same thing.  'tis a pity. It would've been convenient.
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, I had friends who had their daughter in this school recently and HATED it.  They would tell everyone to avoid this place, their daughter was frequently ignored and daily updates were filled in before things actually ocurred.  We have our daughter in Play and Learn around the corner and so far we LOVE them.  Our daughter has only been there a month but you can tell she loves the teachers and is thriving.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kencrest may be nearby, but it is a terrible center.  On the outside looking in, you may think that the center is great, and the children are well taken care of.  However, that is just a front.  Before each tour or visit takes place the director Bryce and office manager Erika notify the teachers and tell them to do something productive.  With an exception to one or two classes: the frogs ( pre preschoolers), and the hawks (the second 2year old room) , the children just play all day why their teachers surf the web, and gossip with the other teachers and office manager via intercom.  The director is a terrible communicator with parents.  The children at the center are  often subjected to terrible things.  I know for a fact that two of the teachers there have physically abused several young toddlers and are still working there.  The parents of these children were not notified.  Also, the children are often left unattended regardless whether it is inside or outside the center. 

This center really needs to be shut down.  

• Please be advised that the above post is from a former employee who was recently fired.  this should be clear as only an employee would pretend to know details about the center which clearly could have only taken place throughout the day when parents are not in the center.

While I am disappointed to hear that some families (further above) have had less than an ideal experience with us, it is the mission of KenCrest to provide the best supports possible to all children and families.  KenCrest also supports children with disabilities, and low-income children and families.  While I respect everyone's chioce for child-care, as it is one of the most important and difficult descisions a parent can make, what was said above comes from a place of hate.

If you are a parent looking for child-care, the best way to evaluate a program is to visit, and ask to talk with current parents whose children attend the center.

KeyStone Stars, a state run early childhood quality improvement initiative, can also be a valuable resource.  Use the following link to find programs in your area with a STAR rating from 1-4 stars, 4 stars being the highest quality.  There is also a "Parents Guide to Choosing High Quality Early Childhood Programs" on the site.

www.pakeys.org

Sincerely,

Bryce Poirot

Director & Parent of Child at KenCrest Rosemont

www.kencrestchildcare.org.

• I just stumbled upon this post and feel compelled to say that I would not recommend the Play and Learn in Bryn Mawr once your child is at preschool age (the "Wildcat" room). I had a very negative experience there at the end of last year. What's sad is that I had a great experience until my daughter entered the three-year old room and it all went downhill, fast. The teachers in that room are incompetent, at least the teachers who were working there at the end of 2010. Perhaps changes have been made. I actually had one of these teachers tell me that she didn't really hear what my husband had said to her at pickup the previous afternoon because she was "off the clock" and working on her own homework at the time. What?!?! The other teacher told my daughter that Santa Claus was not going to bring her any presents because of the way she behaved. (Yes, my daughter was difficult, I admit, but really!) A social worker who observed my child at the daycare actually told me that it was in my daughter's best interests to remove her from that situation. She felt that my daughter would do fine in a new setting because it was the daycare itself that was the catalyst for the negative behavior, and she was right. She had no problem transitioning to her new school and has had only a handful of behavioral "episodes," probably as many as any other three-year old. I typically would not write something so negative but it still pains me to think about this. In the end, on the same day I found another daycare, I was told to pick up my daugther and that she could not return, which goes against their own termination policy (I should have had two weeks notice). My daughter had thrown a toy and it hit another child. This was, apparently, the last straw. I also had to take my then 9-month old out of the center - they didn't tell me I had to, but how could I be shuttling two kids to two diffent daycares and get to work by 8:30? - which was heartbreaking as she just had developed bonds with her wonderful caregivers in the infant room. The whole situation was a mess. So, that is my really verbose way of saying you might want to consider other options when your daughter gets older. 
  • edited March 2014
    Good to know!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"