Upstate NY Babies

Giving baby ice cream

When did you start giving your LO treats like cake or ice cream?

We have ice cream at my grandma's after dinner every Sunday of the season (ladies in Hamburg/Blasdell, you might know the place - Frans-Ceils!). Recently my grandmother started commenting that I should get Charlotte a cone, or share with her. I said absolutely not, but they all look (aunts and grandmother) look at my like I am nutty. I know my mother hasn't given her any but they think it is so funny to get me riled up about the junk food they will give Charlotte. Seriously, I feel like it will be strange to give the kid cake for her birthday, just because we try so hard to make sure she eats healthy things all the time. Am I being crazy, or is this a case of "things change"?

image        image

Re: Giving baby ice cream

• Evan had ice cream for the first time about a month before his 1st birthday. It was my dad's birthday, so he had a taste of ice cream. I think the first time he had cake was his birthday, but I can't remember exactly.

Now, he gets ice cream a few times a week. Either at home, or we go out for ice cream a lot in the summer. He eats really healthy... lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains etc, etc. I figure a little ice cream in the summer, or a dessert on the weekend isn't the end of the world. It's all about balance, IMO. And, as much as he loves it, he never even comes close to finishing a baby sized cone. I typically just give him some of mine if we go out.

• Eh - you'll get over it :)

Now if you were talking about McDonalds a couple times a week, that's a different story. But a little ice cream after a nice meal isn't anything to freak over. We don't have ice cream, but the kids split an old fashioned donut every time we grab some coffee at Tim Hortons (a few times a week)...I'm over it ;)

• Loading the player...
  • with ethan i waited until his 1st bday to have cake and ice cream.  He didn't have any chocolate until after that as well.

since sophia is the 2nd i am sooooooo much more relaxed.  She has had cake, ice cream, chocolate, smores and tim bits.  Oh well she eats really well. i'm not too concerned.  my sister never gave me niece anything.

• L had ice cream a little before his 1st bday- somewhere around xmas time...and he eats freeze pops more than ice cream now...

I agree with other PP- its all about balance... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well I consider junk food more like candy.  And that the earliest thing I can think I gave Ellie was just last month when we went to the new Quaker Steak & Lube and they gave us twizzlers with our checks.  She saw it and freaked out so I gave it to her.

Cake was when she was a year old.  We just don't eat lots of cake.  Cookies and chips were probably around that time too and very infrequent at first.  Now, more frequently, but nothing I would consider common.

Ice cream.....She got her first Abbotts at the beginning of her first summer.  So 8/9 months old.  You know, tiny spoonfuls.  I mostly eat ice cream after she has gone to bed (bc I like to eat it in peace), but if I am eating it around her I share.  I don't consider ice cream that bad.  But maybe I am just in denial bc I eat sooo much of it myself :)

• LO did not touch her birthday cake.  I've offered her cake at other bday parties several times but she has yet to want any.  As far as ice-cream I offered her some of my vanilla cone a few weeks ago but she just tasted it and then made a face.  She's never had candy or cookies.  I'm not against it but I just don't see a need to give it to her and she isn't really into sweet stuff...oh yeah, I did offer her animal cookies, she ate two...so I'll just go with it for now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTwo*True:
    LO did not touch her birthday cake.  I've offered her cake at other bday parties several times but she has yet to want any.  As far as ice-cream I offered her some of my vanilla cone a few weeks ago but she just tasted it and then made a face.  She's never had candy or cookies.  I'm not against it but I just don't see a need to give it to her and she isn't really into sweet stuff...oh yeah, I did offer her animal cookies, she ate two...so I'll just go with it for now.

I think this is my thing. DH and I both are overweight and we don't want to have Charlotte follow in our footsteps. We are trying to give her good things, options with lots of fruits and veggies. I know when she gets a little older, she will want these things, but right now, as far as she is concerned she doesn't know they exist. Why get her liking the taste of it now when she inevitably will down the road? I mean, I don't know any kid who doesn't like ice cream or chocolate or candy or says, "no thanks, I'd rather have some broccoli." It is just that right now, she really doesn't know the difference if I give her ice cream or applesauce, so why not give her the better choice?

image        image
  • We, and especially I strive hard to feed T healthy and keep her away from sweets and junk food...however both of her Grandma's spoil her with juice, jello....you name it. Crazy because when I was growing up my Mom wasn't like that at all in fact we never ever had stuff like that in our house and soda was considered a treat when we would order pizza for dinner on occasion. I get so upset about it but I guess the way I look at it is as long as it's not an everyday thing once in a while isn't going to hurt her and if we just continue to not buy those things and not keep them in our home then they won't be available to her even if she asked for them and then will only serve as special treats on certain occasions. 

We did give her cake for her 1st B-Day but surprisingly she wasn't too interested in it and didn't really like it, so you may be surprised. Charlotte might do the same. As for ice cream we waited until after her first birthday but I think it was only a few weeks later and it ended up making her really sick. She woke up that night crying with terrible terrible stomach pains. I remember DH and I could feel how tight her stomach was and to me that was just our way of knowing her body wasn't able to break down that kind of dairy yet as she hadn't even been introduced to cow's milk yet. Now ice cream is fine with her, but she still will just have a couple of little bites and that's it (which Iis fine with me that she doesn't want it and 'm super happy about it). I would say maybe wait on the ice cream until she has started cow's milk.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"