South Jersey Babies

Looking for Ped that is ok with alternative approach?

I am trying to find a pediatrician that is open to an alternative approach as well as modern medicine. I am not comfortable following the standard guidelines for vaccines. I'd rather follow a delayed vaccine schedule. So far my OB has only given me a list of what seems to be Advocare pediatrics and I am not sure if it is the right fit for me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Looking for Ped that is ok with alternative approach?

• We followed a spread out vaccination approach.  DD is fully vaccinated (which is required if you child is going to childcare).  DD didn't start until preschool, so we had a bit of time. 

Advocare West Deptford was willing to "work with us".  I wouldn't say that they are supportive, but they will allow you to make the decision.  You have to sign off on refusing them at the correct time (we spread ours out) but they allow you to do it.  I've only had push-back from one NP there.  And we just didn't click with her anyway.  During our Pedi interviews they were receptive to us breaking ours up (and even refusing others, something we asked about, but didn't ultimately do).  However, if you ask which is more important vaccinations or are looking for a partner in making decisions, they aren't going to give you advice that contradicts the AAP.  They support your right to make decisions, but won't give you feedback that deviates from the standard.  DH had really strong opinions about it and wanted it done one way.  I wanted to discuss it with them at great lengths and they weren't willing to weigh in with medical advice on which vaccine to delay.

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you! It does help because they are right down the road. I am hoping to find someone supportive of it, but if that doesn't happen for us it is nice to know I can at least have an office that will do it.

I am curious as to why they weren't supportive? It isn't like you weren't getting her vaccinated at all.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJessie888:

I am curious as to why they weren't supportive? It isn't like you weren't getting her vaccinated at all.  

Because it's not the standard of care to do the delayed schedule and there is no science supporting it as necessary.  Therefore, most pediatricians have to uphold the traditional schedule or there could be repercussions.

If someone were to delay the pertussis vaccine, for example, and their child got pertussis and died within the timeframe in which they should have had it, that family could theoretically sue the pediatrician for not enforcing AAP guidelines. AND a child is dead when it may have been prevented. 

As one pedi I know (work with outside of my child), it's like playing roulette with which vaccines to put ahead of others. Without scientific backing, you're saying it's more important to protect my child against X than Y when they may be at an equal risk for both.

I totally, totally get why people want a delayed schedule and feel it is better and I'm just happy the children are getting vaccinated, but you should understand where the doctors are coming from as well.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We go to the Advocare Atrium in Marlton and see Dr. Elfant.  She's amazing but hard to get into.  She is supportive of our delayed schedule (we're doing the monthly vaccines in lieu of going every few months and getting a lot at once).  We explained our reasons which were we weren't comfortable doing so many at once in case there was a reaction.  I will say that if you go the delayed route, you have to be proactive about your scheduling and be willing to explain the why.  Nurses & office aides won't remember that you're on a different schedule and they'll also need you to remind them what shots you're there for and double check before injections.  Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"