Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

goat's milk instead of cow's milk - thoughts?

thoughts pro or con...?  anyone tried goat before cow w/o LO having a dairy allergy?

ETA:  DS tolerates whole milk yogurt well, and he has been on BM exclusively, but I think I'm wanting to do a partial transition (only BF at home and pump on work lunch break)

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

Re: goat's milk instead of cow's milk - thoughts?

• Options
    DD loves goat cheese crumbles and strawberries-- no problems with the cheese, but not looking to try milk yet, so I'm of no help there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lot's of people do it. It's easier to digest. No specific reason for cow's milk.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We plan on trying that when he's one. I've been feeding him goat's milk yogurt since he was 5 months, he does great with it. I've read that it's easier to digest as snoop mentioned. I also like that goats milk industry isn't as huge as cow's milk. I could be wrong, but intuition tells me that less crap goes into the animal and preservation of the milk. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageYules:
    We plan on trying that when he's one. I've been feeding him goat's milk yogurt since he was 5 months, he does great with it. I've read that it's easier to digest as snoop mentioned. I also like that goats milk industry isn't as huge as cow's milk. I could be wrong, but intuition tells me that less crap goes into the animal and preservation of the milk. 

Yes Shhhh... Milk's best kept secret.

• Options
    Do they sell goat's milk in grocery stores? Or is it only in special stores?  I'm curious.
  • Options

imageemilydholmes1:
    Do they sell goat's milk in grocery stores? Or is it only in special stores?  I'm curious.

I'd like to know this myself.  I'm guessing if it's not in the regular store it could be found at Whole Foods or a place like that.

Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageLibby1978:

imageemilydholmes1:

I'd like to know this myself.  I'm guessing if it's not in the regular store it could be found at Whole Foods or a place like that.

We have a place called Earth Fare, that's where I get meat, cheese, and eggs-- they sell goat milk as well.  I shop Target/Walmart for other stuff, and I've never looked for it there. I bet they sell it in smaller quantities..

• Options
    I don't think Wal-mart/Target has it, but our local grocery does and of course Whole Foods & the local coop....you might have a local farm near you...I googled around and found some interesting farms to maybe visit!

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options
    You can find it at any grocery store. The difference is goat's milk is canned. At least how I have seen it!
  • Options
    DS has been on goats milk based formula since 7 months. He also eats goats milk yogurt and cheese. He loves it. He has a pretty severe dairy allergy. I do buy it at the grocery store in the "organic/natural section". It's a lot more expensive but well worth the price. A 4L bag does us 5-6 days. I will continue with goats milk through the years. I have tried it, and it just like regular milk, it doesn't have that strong taste you find in fermented goats milk products.  

• Options

Here in NJ, they sell it at most supermarkets, refridgerated in a milk carton next to regular milk. It's more expensive. A small carton is usually around $2.99 

• Options

imageemilydholmes1:

I get it at Wal-Mart in the refrigerated section.Smaller carton, quart size maybe? It's pricey, but much easier to break down. Just doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals they need. I'd look at a vitamin supplement too.

Lilypie - (fjc0)

• Options
    imagecndmexbaby:
    You can find it at any grocery store. The difference is goat's milk is canned. At least how I have seen it!
    My local Walmart, Kroger, and Tom Thumb all carry goats milk in refrigerated quarts. Like others said, it is more pricey: around $2.50 per quart. As opposed to a similar price per half gallon for whole, almond, or soy milks
  • Options

imageJessi+Aiden:
    imagecndmexbaby:
    My local Walmart, Kroger, and Tom Thumb all carry goats milk in refrigerated quarts. Like others said, it is more pricey: around $2.50 per quart. As opposed to a similar price per half gallon for whole, almond, or soy milks

I will have to look next time. I have never really looked for the fresh stuff. But drinking milk from a goat kinda weirds me out. Since I started breastfeeding, milk from any animal freaks me out. I love almond milk personally!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"