April 2011 Moms

Please tell me it gets better

So we're deswaddling DD at the moment and it's miserable!  First nap of the day, screamed for 20 minutes, slept for 30.  I didn't think that was so bad.  Nap number two of the day, she's been screaming for an hour and slept 5 minutes twice.  Oh, and DH is working late tonight, plays in a golf league on Friday nights and is going to a golf tourament on Saturday with a big dinner after it, so he won't be around at all for this. 

ETA - I am with her while she is screaming.  Doesn't matter if I rock her to sleep, the transfer wakes her.  Calm her and put her in her crib and soothe from the side, she gets more and more mad.  Hold down one hand to stop the movement, as soon as I lift my hand, she jerks and is awake and yelling.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please tell me it gets better

• Yes, it will get better.  I stopped swaddling my LO by the time she was 4 weeks old.  But for about a week her jerky arm movements did used to wake her up all the time.  I think the RNP was a life saver since she was a little more contained so to speak.
  • It does get better.  We did almost cold turkey.  Have you tried a loose swaddle (where she's able to get free but still feel the blanket around her)?  Tried one arm out?  That's what we did.  A week with one arm out, then both arms (swaddled at chest) then nothing.  She did great with only about 2 days of startling herself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried unswaddling one arm out at a time?  The first 2-3 days were pretty rough for us.  We were unswaddling for day time naps only, still full swaddle at night, because none of us were prepared to be up all night. As it turns out, LO started rolling both ways 5 days in so we had to stop cold turkey.  But even still, she adjusted to that after a few days.  Hang in there and good luck! 
  • I tried the one arm last week and it was okay, but not great.  She doesn't take a paci and I thought she had interest in her hand/fingers early on, but she will suck on them briefly and then let them go, so the swaddle seemed to be what soothed her.  She started rolling tummy to back last week, which is why I moved to one arm out.  But her interest in rolling back to tummy has picked up and she did it yesterday when she was swaddled with one arm out at the end of her afternoon nap.  That convinced me it's time for the whole thing to go. 
  • It does get better! We went cold turkey at around 3 months old and it took probably 2-3 nights of waking every 1-2 hrs for her nighttime sleep to get back to her regular routine. Naps took more like a week to get to 30-45 minutes for every nap, then another week or two to get any longer than that. When I would transfer her to the crib and she would wake up, I would just pick her right back up and rock her back to sleep. Sometimes I'd have to do this 4-5 times, but usually it just took 2 or 3 attempts before she would stay asleep when I laid her down. Now she just stays asleep the first time. If your LO is starting to roll to her tummy, she might figure out that she prefers to sleep that way and before long she'll just roll over and go back to sleep right after you put her down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"