April 2011 Moms

XP: Swaddling Still?!

Hi there!  My little girl is 3.5 months and I she is a swaddle baby for sure!  However, she has started to roll over and roll to her side at night in her crib. This morning I got up, she still had her arms in her blanket but was up on her side.  I am worried that she may get rolled all the way over and not have her hands to help her get her head into place so she can breath in the crib.  Any words of advice for this situation!  I'm thinking about trying to not swaddle her anymore. Heck!  Maybe she is too old to be swaddled!  First time mom here!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Swaddling Still?!

• I answered your other post as well. I stopped swaddling as soon as rolling over became a reality, for the exact reason you mentioned.

It was one week of less than enjoyable bedtimes, and now she's perfectly fine.

• We had the same experience as Scout--we just went cold turkey and stopped swaddling as soon as she showed signs of turning over. The first few nights were tough and she woke up more than usual for about a week, but she actually sleeps REALLY well now after several weeks of adjustment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I stopped swaddling as soon as he rolled back to belly. We were using the summer infant swaddles that you velco. The first two nights I put the swaddle on and kept his arms out. I wanted him to have his arms free in case he rolled. On the third night, we went to the sleep sack. I was so nervous to stop swaddeling because I was afraid he would go back to waking all night. He slept great without the swaddle. He now rolls onto his side or belly to sleep, which makes me so nervous. His doctor said since he can roll both ways, that he will roll to his back if he is not getting enough oxygen. I try to roll him onto his back and he just rolls again. I check on him several times throughout the night.
  • Our baby is still partially swaddled (one arm out) and will remain that way until rolling over becomes an issue.  At that point we'll stop cold turkey, same as we did for our two boys.  

FWIW, kiddo #2 was in a swaddle until nearly 6 months.  #1 was done by 4 months.   

imageimageimage
  • Hi chelle1980, I am soooo glad you posted this.  My DD starting rolling back to tummy at 2.5 months and does it while sleeping - I am a nervous wreck because I have found her several times face down.  She doesn't seem tooo quick to turn her head...did this happen with your DS?  I let her sleep whatever way she wants for naps but at night we have resorted to using a sleep positioner (I know they have been recalled, but she isn't lifting her head to breathe).
  • I'm interested in the answers to this! We swaddle Abby and she sleeps so well at night, I'm afraid to stop! She hasn't tried to roll over though :)
  • imageJCP0306:
    Hi chelle1980, I am soooo glad you posted this.  My DD starting rolling back to tummy at 2.5 months and does it while sleeping - I am a nervous wreck because I have found her several times face down.  She doesn't seem tooo quick to turn her head...did this happen with your DS?  I let her sleep whatever way she wants for naps but at night we have resorted to using a sleep positioner (I know they have been recalled, but she isn't lifting her head to breathe).
    Face down would scare me too! DS did not start rolling back to tummy until 3.5 months so he had good head control when he started rolling to his tummy at night. I watch him on his video monitor and he starts by rolling to his side. He stays on his side for most of the night before switching to his tummy. I check him throughout the night and he is always on the side of his face and not face down. When he starts to wake up in the morning, he will turn his head and go face down, but he always picks his head up. As soon as I see him start to go face down, I get him out of his crib. Our pedi put him on his tummy and said she was not concerned about him tummy sleeping since he has good head control. She told me to not have any blankets, pillows, or toys in his crib, which we do not. Have you spoken to DD's pedi to see what they recommend you do? Does she wake up if you roll her back over? If I roll him onto his back when he is in a deep sleep, he usually rolls onto his side and stays alseep. I just feel better when he is on his side then his tummy.
  • If you want to continue swaddling, I'd get one of those velcro swaddles so it can't end up on her face. If you are ready to break free, try her arms loose one night and see how she does.

Our LO has been swaddled since day one and couldn't sleep with one arm out or in a sleep sack because her arms kept flailing and she's wake herself up. We found her rolled on her tummy the other morning and I knew we had to ditch the swaddle/woombie. We braved it last night with one arm out thinking it would be a terrible night and she was a little tough to get down but had her best sleep yet - 8:30-3:30, 3:45-6:30, 6:45-9am!! Wow. With one arm out on night two I was just able to get her to fall asleep on her own in her crib. Words cannot describe how I feel right now, this is a fussy baby who's NEVER put herself to sleep and usually wakes 3 times before crashing for the night.

If this keeps up, I'll be wishing I ditched the swaddle sooner Big Smile

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS rolled onto his belly while swaddled three days ago, so we've just had him in a sleep sack the last two nights. It actually hasn't gone too badly. The first night he woke one extra time (he's usually up twice to eat, he got up three times instead), and last night he was back down to his usual two. I just sort of held his arms down a bit when I put him down, and he's been rolling over to his side or onto his belly while he sleeps, which he seems fine with. Today he even slept in later than he usually does!
  • Ok...the attempt was horrible...I was up with her every 45 minutes...HELP!  I don't have a swaddle sack (or anywhere to get one for another 2 weeks), I put her down and tucked a small swaddle blanket over the top of her with her arms inside of it, and within about 30 minutes she was up...this continued all night.......OMG i'm going to die at work today I think...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKougl Wife to Be!:
    Ok...the attempt was horrible...I was up with her every 45 minutes...HELP!  I don't have a swaddle sack (or anywhere to get one for another 2 weeks), I put her down and tucked a small swaddle blanket over the top of her with her arms inside of it, and within about 30 minutes she was up...this continued all night.......OMG i'm going to die at work today I think...

You have to assume this is going to take a little time. You can't expect the first night of a big adjustment to be smooth or easy for them. I know it's hard, I do, but this, like any change, takes time.

I'm sorry last night was rough. If you are going to stick with breaking the swaddle, you have to just brace yourself for a tough week or so. I wish there was a better answer than essentially "suck it up" but there isn't. And I'm saying that with tons of sympathy, I know this isn't easy.

• Can you get a swaddle sack from Amazon and have it delivered?
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemisssurly:

If you want to continue swaddling, I'd get one of those velcro swaddles so it can't end up on her face. If you are ready to break free, try her arms loose one night and see how she does.

Our LO has been swaddled since day one and couldn't sleep with one arm out or in a sleep sack because her arms kept flailing and she's wake herself up. We found her rolled on her tummy the other morning and I knew we had to ditch the swaddle/woombie. We braved it last night with one arm out thinking it would be a terrible night and she was a little tough to get down but had her best sleep yet - 8:30-3:30, 3:45-6:30, 6:45-9am!! Wow. With one arm out on night two I was just able to get her to fall asleep on her own in her crib. Words cannot describe how I feel right now, this is a fussy baby who's NEVER put herself to sleep and usually wakes 3 times before crashing for the night.

If this keeps up, I'll be wishing I ditched the swaddle sooner Big Smile

This makes me want to stop swaddling immediately!  DS is in a miracle blanket.  He has only rolled front to back a few times so I'm not worried about him rolling on to his tummy.  But I'd love for him to sleep well w/out a swaddle at night.  Bedtime right now is him up a few times before crashing for the night, and all that swaddling and unswaddling (if he wants to nurse again) is annoying. 

I'm inspired.  Tonight we're going to do one arm out and see how that goes for a few nights. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"