Northern California Babies

SAHM and Jury Duty

Sorry if this is a dumb question - can you use being a SAHM as an excuse to get out of jury duty?

There is a section that says:

I have a verifiable, non-professional obligation to provide care for another between the hours of 8-5 Monday through Friday and alternative arrangements are not feasible.

Age of person cared for:

Your relationship:

Type of care provided:

Has anyone tried to get out of jury duty for this reason?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SAHM and Jury Duty

• I have gotten out of it once for that reason and then the 2nd time they denied it so I took Riley with me. I was excused ASAP.
  • DS doesn't even stay home full time and he planned to use that as well as a new no-pay clause for his recent jury sumons.
  • Loading the player...
  • yes. I got out of it once a few months ago for that reason, but got another notice. I haven't tried to get excused yet. I will have to take Ariel's cue!
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I had jury duty a few months ago.  The judge was excusing people for being SAHMs but he was pretty strict about it.  He would question people first if they had anyone else to take care of their child for a week or so.  The people that hesitated got a postponement.  The people that answered right away that there was no one else, he excused.
  • My mom's most recent jury duty experience (last year) the judge was a total jerk and not excusing anyone for any reason. He told the SAHM's he didn't believe there wasn't anyone else in the whole wide world available to watch their kids. She had to go for 3 straight days, just for the selection process!! It was crazy. When I went we never even made it past the video part before the told us we could leave, heh.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, I've been able to be excused multiple times bc I am the primary caregiver for a child under the age of five. I usually try to use the court's online service so I can be excused instantly. I couldn't do that this last time (I would have been 7 months pregnant with the twins on my summons date) bc the system was down and had to mail it in, which always worries me, but I didn't get a call or notice in the mail so I'm guessing they got it. BFing mothers can also postpone their jury duty for up to a year, I believe. Good luck!
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • imageMrsCali_Bride:
    Yes, I've been able to be excused multiple times bc I am the primary caregiver for a child under the age of five. I usually try to use the court's online service so I can be excused instantly. I couldn't do that this last time (I would have been 7 months pregnant with the twins on my summons date) bc the system was down and had to mail it in, which always worries me, but I didn't get a call or notice in the mail so I'm guessing they got it. BFing mothers can also postpone their jury duty for up to a year, I believe. Good luck!

Yeah I got out of it last time b/c I was nursing and remember the lady on the phone saying I will "HAVE" to do jury duty next time and she even gave me the date that I will get the mailing. At the time I wasn't a SAHM so I'll give it a try. Or, I'll use Ariel's approach. I'm sure we would get kicked out ASAP. lol

• My SIL brought my nephew with her and was excused within the hour. She didn't try to get out of it before showing up or anything....and it really was a fluke that no one could watch my nephew that day, so she figured better to bring him and show up then to not show up at all.
    Dancing Through Life
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married August 22, 2009-TTC #1 since 1/11
    Dx PCOS and Hypothyroidism in 2004, SA 5/11-Excellent!
    Cycle #1-6-Anovulatory:(
    Cycle #7-metformin+clomid+acupuncture-BFP!!!
    Beta#1(16dpo)-101, Beta#2(18dpo)-240, Beta#3(22dpo)-1,255
    EDD 10-28-12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"