LGBT Parenting

Gay Family group- homos with kids?.

Do any of you belong to a group for diverse (GAY) families

We belong to one but it has significantly dwindled.  lots of members but seems like there are only four  people that ever show up US and our good friend S & J ... So we were trying to figure out how to make this group functional and get more families to participate.  

Do you have a group in your area? What do you think of it  and what do you do with your group?  Are you involved with the meeting or get togethers?

Just wondering

J & M 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/

Re: Gay Family group- homos with kids?.

• We have Rainbow Families and then our early childhood family education classes (think mommy & me classes run by the school districts) have 2 gay groups. We go to the annual conference/meeting for Rainbow Families, but that's about it. For us, right now, we have a lot of gay couple friends that have kids so we have that sense of community organically. If that changes and/or it seems like our kids could benefit from the structured acceptance of a community then we will get more involved. I am definitely glad the resources are there, even if we never use them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We belong to Rainbow Families in our area (along with TWB and N2A!) They were pretty dormant for awhile and then last year started having monthly playdates that were hosted by members. They have broken up the playgroups by area and age, which is nice. We actually just went to a playdate this weekend which was very well attended (8 families with about 14 kids.)  They hold a bi-annual conference, but we've never attended and also a yearly Valentine's Dance, which we went to 1x when the kids were young (not really our thing) and host activities for varying ages throughout the year (we saw a kids performance with them this summer.)

We also were part of a Meet-up group for lesbian moms for awhile and met a few families that way. But the organizers stepped down and no one has picked it up.

Our multiples group also has a same-sex breakout group. I think we only met 1x several years ago, but because multiples are so common among SS couples (thank you fertility drugs) there are quite a number of us.

We don't have any gay friends with kids (most of our gay friends pre-kids were male couples who don't want kids.) It never was an issue until our kids got older and I wanted to make sure they knew other kids with SS families (they are the only ones in their school.)

I hope you can find other families!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all for your input !

we belong to a group here and are board members but the main people are stepping down and well we want to take it over but  also want to change some minor thing.  We are not a non profit - I would like to become one. Also we have over 200 people on our mailing list but only 6 people come to events ... 

Just trying to make it better.  

Thanks

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Do a online survey to see what people want from the group and get some basic demographics of how old the kids are and where the live - that might help drive programming.

Survey other groups in similar sized cities with comparable GLBT populations to see what they do and what has worked and what hasn't.

Set up an online message board - ours isn't too active - but there are a few posts every week or two there asking for information about various things (adoption agencies, sharing nannys, meeting other parents, etc.)

good luck! (so ambitious with newborn twins!)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image2moms2twins:

Thank you all for your input !

we belong to a group here and are board members but the main people are stepping down and well we want to take it over but  also want to change some minor thing.  We are not a non profit - I would like to become one. Also we have over 200 people on our mailing list but only 6 people come to events ... 

Just trying to make it better.  

Thanks

Several months ago I became co-organizer of an lgbt parents group through meetup.com.  We have a similar situation of tons of members, but very little turn out for events.

I did try doing member polls, asking what days/times/locations, which was somewhat helpful.

Our most popular event thus far was a family picnic at a state park. I think it was such a success because it was on a weekend (so working and SAHparents were available), and it worked for families with kids of all ages. Parks and playgrounds (especially with ample shade this time of year!), seem to do well. People can come and go as they please and it's easy to chit chat (as opposed to something like a zoo or childrens' museum - which can definitely work - but with a bunch of strangers can be awkward for getting to know one another).

Good luck!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"