March 2011 Moms

Oy! What an exhausting weekend (vent-long)

I feel like I could write a novel about the adventure that was traveling with DS for the first time--alone might I add--but I'll try to spare you Wink I had to travel about 2 hours away for a swim meet and while the trip started out fine, I'm sooooo happy to be home!

DS did great on the car ride up there, slept a little, didn't really fuss. He did okay the first day, he was off his usual schedule and obviously in a new place so didn't nap great and consequently had a mini meltdown (with all of the parents on my team trying to tell me how to handle it). We got settled into our hotel room and he STTN, although I didn't at all because he was in his PNP and kept rolling onto his belly so I would wake up at least every hour to check on him and/or roll him over--we have an angelcare at home and I'm so used to hearing the tick I just couldn't sleep well without it.

The next day as I was heading to the pool, I stopped at Starbucks to grab some much needed coffee. We were in a very small town (surprising that they had a Starbucks at all) so they were a little overwhelmed by all the people there for the weekend and the line was pretty long. I ordered my coffee and was waiting for it with DS (who was just loudly talking--not screaming--maybe just below a screech) when this dad from another team (we'll call him a$$hat #1) stands next to me with his ten-ish year old son and after looking at DS mini-screeching turns to his son and says "you never did that!" in a super judgemental. I have a perfect child who never does anything wrong, tone Indifferent A$$hat! Well after I get my coffee and am heading for the door, this other dad (from the same team as a$$hat #1, we'll call him a$$hat #2) steps in front of me cutting me off and slams the door in my face while I'm holding hot coffee and DS Angry Despite being in a bad mood from my Starbucks encounters, the rest of that day went smoothly.

The next day, nothing terribly notable happened except that I got caught in a TOTAL DOWNPOUR with DS while I was going back to the hotel. I had to throw a blanket over his and my head while carrying two bags, his PNP and him into the hotel (I think this was when I realized my trip was at the point of no return). That adventure was followed by yet another night of next to no sleep for me because I was being a paranoid FTM and checking on DS every hour. 

Fast forward to today (the day I finally got to come home-yay!) and DS was just such a little cranky monster from not napping well and being in a noisy, hot pool all weekend that he wasn't happy unless I was holding him. Trying to hold an almost 19lb fussy, squirmy baby while trying to coach is next to impossible (as I'm sure some of you know). After about 6 hours of this (and him napping for 10-20 min stretches here and there) I was soo ready to go home that I left the meet early--I had one swimmer left who volunteered at the last minute to swim in a relay that I wasn't planning on and much to her mom's dismay told her I needed to get DS home because we were on track for meltdown Armageddon (you would think a fellow mom would understand but I guess not) and btw there were other coaches from our team there who my swimmer was familiar with so it's not like I left her high and dry.

So we finally get on the road and by this point DS is so overtired and cranky he cried and screamed for over an hour of our 2 hour drive home-he wouldn't take his bottle or paci, he just screamed and couldn't settle himself down. It was awful, I was in tears texting DH how horrible my weekend had been and how having to listen to DS so upset and not being able to do anything about it but drive faster was the icing on the cake Crying. He finally knocked himself out and slept for the last 45 mins of the drive but that whole time he was shuddering every ten seconds from crying so hard for an hour!

Needless to say I'm soooo happy to be home and to have DS settled back into his crib (with the angelcare monitor ticking away). It will be a looonnnggg time before I agree to travel by myself with DS again--and MAJOR props to single parents who have to deal with everything by themselves all day everyday! After this experience I feel like every mom should be given an extra set of hands when they leave the hospital after giving birth Stick out tongue

Re: Oy! What an exhausting weekend (vent-long)

• You are a BRAVE woman! You should also be proud of yourself. Hopefully you get a few days off now?

BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"