Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Vent and Question

My LO was born three weeks early but from her due date she is just over three months. I think she should be eating 19 or more ounces which she is not. But everyone else my mom and my DH think she's fine with only eating 13 ounces because she won't eat from her bottle at all. Right now at nine thirty she has ate 11 ounces today but in the past 24 hours she has had 13.5 ounces. She's been only eating 2 to 3 ounces every 2-3 hours.

She sleeps through the night but today she has been sleeping non-stop other then when I wake her to eat even a little bit. She is just over 12 pounds right now. Am I the one who is wrong to think she's not eating enough since she's not hungry. She spits her bottle out and fusses until I remove the bottle. Or I am I right in worrying that she is not taking enough and should call the doctor tomorrow.

Edit: She drinks Soy Formula

Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 

Re: Vent and Question

• I would consult your doctor.  No harm in asking and then you can either make a change or feel at peace.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is she gaining weight or no? Technically per her weight, she should be eating closer to 30 ounces per day but if she's gaining weight and seems otherwise okay, I wouldn't worry about it. Does she only/always fuss when eating? How are her stools? Just wondering if the reason she's not eating is due to a milk/soy protein allergy...
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call her doctor. I was concerned at my LO's 2 months appt, b/c she was only taking about 20 oz a day, and per her height and weight she should have been taking closer to 26. The doctor was a little concerned, and scheduled a couple of appointments to watch her weight gain. 

If I were you, I would get them to check her out. 

• She only fusses when the bottle is in her mouth. Once you remove the bottle she's fine. Her stools have been hard but that was since we switched to soy when she was just under a month old. Our doctor wants her to drink one ounce of prune juice a day which has helped a ton with that. She eats soy formula because of her milk allergy.

She is gaining weight just very slowly.

Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • I would call the pedi.....Every baby is different on the amount they need to eat but does seem kind of low. Is your LO constipated? My DS was on Soy and it made him constantly constipated causing his not to want to eat and drastically decreasing his formula intake. We were told by the Pedi that he had to be switched. 

It never hurts to call!!! 

• imagethediarywithin:

She only fusses when the bottle is in her mouth. Once you remove the bottle she's fine. Her stools have been hard but that was since we switched to soy when she was just under a month old. Our doctor wants her to drink one ounce of prune juice a day which has helped a ton with that. She eats soy formula because of her milk allergy.

She is gaining weight just very slowly.

Soy is known to make babies constipated. I would ask about increasing the juice. My pedi says to do 2oz of juice in a formula bottle. That always helps DS. If that doesn't work there is another formula too. It's called Allimentum. It is made for babies that have milk/soy allergies. It cost way more but it does really help with constipation. GL!

• I would def call the pedi. I call our dr office just to speak to a nurse for a quick question all the time. If I dont then I just worry and drive myself crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"