March 2012 Moms
Options

Psoriasis?

Ok i'm losing my mind with the itching!!!!!!!!  I've had a few psoriasis outbreaks before but nothing like this!  I've asked my O.B. about it and he said it's not uncommon for it to flare up during pregnancy.  But, he also said that there's nothing I can do about it.  The usual treatment is steroids, which obviously would be a very bad idea.  He also suggested Benedryl, but it knocks me out for days and I really don't want to take meds (other than my prenatals) during the first trimester (occasionally a regular strength tylenol when I just cant take a headache anymore but thats about it).  The itching is driving me into new areas of insanity.  Anyone have any natural suggestions to relive the itching?
BabyFruit Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Psoriasis?

• Options

dude, that sucks.  i'm sorry.  :(

have you tried an oatmeal bath?  what about benadryl cream, does that make you sleepy?  another thing to try is dandelion root capsules, they are safe in pg and help cleanse the liver.  sometimes when the liver is congested it manifests itself in skin issues.  admittedly i don't know a lot about psoriasis, but maybe one of those suggestions will help.  GL!  

oh, also, maybe cut out dairy for awhile to see if it helps and consider seeing a naturopath for more help. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've got moderate plaque psoriasis (it has been severe, but I'm thankfully in the midst of a semi-remission state) and I've stopped using all prescription meds (I've done all the topicals, plus both Enbrel and Humira). 

There are three things I use to help control the itching:

1. Gold Bond Medicated Anti-Itch Lotion.  It's not a miracle cure, but it helps!

2. When it's really, really bad, I use an ice pack on the bad spots.

3. What I use now for the spots on my back and feet is an organic salve I bought in Seattle called "The Fay Farm Healing Hemp Salve."  It really makes a big difference in my psoriasis when I use it as directed (apply 2 x daily) and it helps a lot with the itching as well.  I know they've got an online store as well, it's at

https://shop.thefayfarm.com/product.sc;jsessionid=7B29DA5FC56043BA89174B88D23B4137.qscstrfrnt05?productId=36&categoryId=2

I've had the same tub of it for about 4 months, so it's pretty cost effective too.  It is by far the most effective thing I've found for my psoriasis.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"