Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Who would LO go to if you and DH/SO died?

...and if your LO has god parents, who are they? Just curious...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Who would LO go to if you and DH/SO died?

• My brother and his wife.  They have a 3 year old and are young and, well, pretty similar to my H and me.

No godparents...yet.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • He would go to people in this order:

1. My sister

2. My parents

3. Our good friends

4. Aunt/Uncle

• Loading the player...
  • We have our will set up right now so that DD would go to my parents, then DH's Dad. As our parents get older, we'll likely change it to DH's younger sister and her husband, but as of now, our parents are all early 50's and capable of taking over if needed.

ETA: DD's godparents are my brother and my best friend. This next LO's godparents will be DH's best friend and my best friend (again). None of these people would be considerations for custody (not that there's anything wrong with them, we just have other options). 

• DH's sister and her husband would get Lucia if something were to happen to us.
    Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • We need to get it formalized, but our kids will go to my twin sister and her husband if anything should happen to DH and I.
  • My parents.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• As of right now, in order:

-My mother

-his mother

-my sister

My sister is only 25 and still very much in single, party-life mode. When she matures a bit, she'll be moved to the top of the list.

DD Lea 04/21/10
    DS Nathan 12/4/12
    BFP: 3/31/15 EDD: 12/4/15

MC: 7/2011, 12/2011
  • In order

my brother and SIL (godparents)

DH's brother and SIL (godparents)

my stepsister and BIL  

my parents

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• The kids' guardians are named in our wills. First it would be my cousins followed by my parentThey my cousins have three kids a little older than our three and are wonderful parents. We had a long talk between DH and I and then with my cousins and how they felt about possibly having 6 kids. Of course, none of us ever expects this to happen, but if it does, I feel better knowing the kids would go to who we want and be taken care of. My cousins happen to be DD2's godparents but, DD1's godparents and DS's are different people. To us godparents are for religous purposes and guardians are for legal purposes.
  • We just added this to our will, my sister in law and brother in law.  They would get everything!
    10 MONTHS APART AND LOVIN IT! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • We have got to get a will and make sure that my SIL and her husband are ok with this but we want them to have him if anything happens. Our parents are old because we are old so I think it would be unfair to DS to have them raise him. My SIL and BIL don't have their own kids together but he has two from his first marriage. 

Hopefully, knock on wood, we won't ever have to worry about this but it good to have a plan and have it legal.  

• He would go to my ILs. We are putting a living trust together right now.
    Your little hands wrapped around my finger and its so quiet in the world tonight Your little eye lids flutter cause your dreamin so I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light To you everything's funny, you've got nothing to regret I'd give all I have hunny, if you could stay like that Oh darling dont you ever grow up, dont you ever grow up, just stay this little Oh darling dont you ever grow up dont you ever grow up, it could stay this simple I wont let nobody hurt you, wont let no one break your heart, no one will desert you Just try to never grow up imageimage Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My parents.  They're very young and would parent our children most similarly to how we parent.

God parents =/= legal guardians.  Not for us, anyway. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We've been discussing this.  It's between my parents and his brother and wife.  The only reason I lean towards my parents is that they will raise her in the church, whereas my BIL and SIL aren't religious or belong to a church.  Otherwise, I would be fine with them having her- similar styles of parenting (or so I believe, as they don't have kids yet).
  • We don't have it finalized because we haven't decided between my sister and DH's brother and SIL. We are leaning towards my sister because SIL's extended family is a little cooky and I would rather not have my kids have to deal with them.

• My parents, they are really young My mom had me when she was 23 and I am 23 now. My dad is only a year older. My parents are really involved in my kids lifes we see atleast one of my parents almost everyday. I raise my kids how my parents raised me (with minnor differences) and we trust that my parents would be the best choice. My children do not have godparents...
  • in this order:

1. My Mom

2. DH's Eldest Sister

3. My BFF, Jennifer.

LO's godparents:

1. My three BFFs

2. DH's Bestfriend

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Our kids' godparents are not couples.  

Our first choice is my DH's oldest brother and his wife.  That brother is my DS's godfather.  

If, for whatever reason they were unable, our second choice is my best friend and her husband.  She is my DS's godmother.

My DD's godparents are my SIL (by marriage - she is married to one of my DH's brothers, not the one from above) and my DH's younger brother. 

• Our LOs will go to DHs aunt and uncle. They are much younger than DHs parents, and have raised their children the way we plan to raise ours. We also decided NOT to tell anyone besides them (obviously) of our decision. There would be too many problems with others getting upset that they were not chosen.
  • We don't have official godparents.  And it's bad, because we disagree about who they should go to.  I say DH's brother, and he says his sister. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • DH and I need to sit down and formally discuss this possibility... I think it's going to cause some issues because I will be completely against the possibility of his parents raising DD, for a multitude of reasons and the first one (of many) is the complete instability of their household and the people who live in their house.

I would want my parents to have DD because they've been the most important people in her life (aside from DH and myself) since the very beginning. DD is incredibly comfortable with my parents and would adjust very easily to living with them (at this age, when she's older it would, of course, be harder on her). However, in the logical part of my brain I know that, although my parents are young now (early 50s) they are rapidly getting older and I would hate for DD to lose to sets of "parents" in her lifetime. So, I've actually considered asking my best friend and her husband to be DD's guardians in the event of DH and my death. They have a 4 month old daughter of their own, they are just a little bit younger than us and I know they'd work hard to keep both sets of grandparents in DD's life.

Ugh, what a depressing post....

• My son does not have godparents, I am not religious (though certainly not against having someone religious raise him).

I'm a single mom, so knowing how hard it is to care for him by myself, I would like him to go to a couple. One of my sisters is married, another in a serious relationship, but neither of them have kids. For the time being he would go to my mother (she's 42 now, and we live with her so she's most in touch with him and his life/schedule and what I want for him).

After my sisters have kids, I might revise that. I have to see how they are with their own children before I decide if I want them to have custody of mine.

• Right now, our will is set up so he would go to my mom, but that will change in a couple of years when my brother is married and a little more settled. We didn't feel it was right to saddle my bro with a kid at this point, based on where he lives (small apartment) and his busy lifestyle. My brother is DS's godfather.

• Right now our will is set up so DS goes to my parents first.  After that, my youngest sister is listed.  I would really prefer my other sister, and it weighs on me, but it was a compromise on my part since we are not using anyone in DH's family. DH felt more comfortable with my youngest sister and there was no way in hell DS was going to his sister.

His godparents are my middle sister and DH's sister (ugh!). 

• First, he would go to my mother and step father. They are relatively young (mid 50s) and healthy. In the event they couldn't take him, he would go to my cousin. He doesn't have god parents.

• In this order:

My mom.  If she's not able, my sister.  If she's not able, DD's god parents (very good friends of mine and DH's) if they aren't able, my BIL and his wife.

• imageeitaknna9:
    DH's sister and her husband would get Lucia if something were to happen to us.

hey DD's name is Lucia too! 

• 1. My mom and dad

2. His mom (sigh I suppose)

3. My brother probably though he's young and immature but he has a GF he's been with for a long time so hopefully they will get married and if anything ever happens to us they can take care of DD.  

• For now our will is set up for DS to go to DH's mom and stepdad. The main reasons are
    - very financially stable, big house, etc
    - Christian home
    - his mom doesn't work and has ample time at home to raise baby

My mom and stepdad are alternates. The fact that my mom works (do DS would have to go to fulltime daycare) and they don't attend church (although they ARE Christians) tipped the scales in DH's parents favor.  

However, I think we are going to change our will to DH's cousin (they grew up together more like brothers) and his wife. We just need to have the conversation with them first.

It's been hard to choose since we are both basically only children. DH has two younger half siblings but neither is at a place in life to take on a child right now. If his younger sister (who just got out of college) were to marry a good, Christian man and be financially stable we might consider her.  

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have SIL & a very close couple who are our friends. Neither of my sisters are in a committed relationship and still live at home. DH's other sister lives too far away from 'home' and doesn't have a decent job and has proven unreliable over the last few years. Both of our parents are in their late 50s and we both feel as though they raised their children and should enjoy our LOs as grandchildren.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My sister and DH's cousin are the godparents.  My sister would get physical custoday and DH's cousin would be the financial backer. 
  • We just did our wills last night and we stated that he would go to DH's sister and husband.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They would go to my SIL/BIL (my H's sister). They are also the Godparents. If for some reason that couldn't happen they would go to my husband's parents.
  • At this point, my mom and step dad.  In a few years, my sister & BIL.

My sister is in nursing school and they have an apartment.  DH and I don't feel that it would be fair to them to ask them to raise DS at this point in their lives.  They just got married and she will be in school for another two years.  I'm worried if they had to raise a child, she may not finish school. 

His godparents are my sister and DH's best friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"