TTC After a Loss

TTCAL July Book Club Discussion Post!

Hello ladies!! We're here to discuss Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo!!! Before we get too far into it, I just want to put out this little note. Religion is very difficult to discuss on a public message board. There are so many different views and beliefs out ther, and we need to remember that. Please try your best not to put down anyone elses religion. With that being said, let's get into this! Remember, you can ask questions at any point and time!! You don't have to wait for me to shoot out the questions.

What was the most eye popping/jaw dropping/tell all your friends part of the book for you?

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

Re: TTCAL July Book Club Discussion Post!

• imageCashewsMommy:

What was the most eye popping/jaw dropping/tell all your friends part of the book for you?

For me it was the whole picture of Jesus part. Where no pictures lived up to how he looked to him, except the drawing that the woman did from her experience to heaven and back. It never really hit me that all of this could be true until that part.

• Mine was definately the part where he tells his mom he knows he has two sisters...that part was pretty amazing to me. I also thought the drawing of Jesus was pretty draw dropping too.
    Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • Loading the player...
  • I defintely had the tissues out during the first 2 pages of the book!!  The most eye popping part for me was when Colton met his sister in heaven.  Maybe I am still sensitive to this issue, but I felt strangely comforted with the fact that she existed up there and was growing and happy and looking out on the family.

Our baby boy,Logan, was born still at 19w3d on 7/1/2011
    Our 2nd baby boy, Mason, was born still at 20w3d on 1/31/2012

After a much needed sanity break... we are praying for our rainbows

((BFP 7/29/13))  ((EDD 4/12/14))  It's BOY/GIRL twins!!!

• imageCashewsMommy:

Hard to pick just one!  The part when he told his mom he had 2 sisters really got me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefiggs0831:
    I defintely had the tissues out during the first 2 pages of the book!!  The most eye popping part for me was when Colton met his sister in heaven.  Maybe I am still sensitive to this issue, but I felt strangely comforted with the fact that she existed up there and was growing and happy and looking out on the family.

Me too!  It provided me with a lot of comfort knowing that my baby is up there and is happy and being looked after.

• imageCashewsMommy:

For me, it was how Colton saw/met his unborn sister in heaven.  I cried and cried!  Obviously, it spoke to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

PAL/PGAL WelcomeBabyFetus Ticker

• imagecmumama:

imagefiggs0831:
    I defintely had the tissues out during the first 2 pages of the book!!  The most eye popping part for me was when Colton met his sister in heaven.  Maybe I am still sensitive to this issue, but I felt strangely comforted with the fact that she existed up there and was growing and happy and looking out on the family.

Me too!  It provided me with a lot of comfort knowing that my baby is up there and is happy and being looked after.

It gave me a lot of comfort as well.. especially when my grandmother passed away a few days after I read the book. I liked the fact that they'd be up there together and that Aurora could be greeting her in heaven.

• Did you ever have a moment of doubt that this book was for real?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagewalker03:
    Did you ever have a moment of doubt that this book was for real?
    I'll answer my own question...I loved and believed it all until the middle part, I think just all the details and the author's quotations of Bible verses made me wonder...is this for real or did the dad write it.  But, I think the picture of Jesus made me a believer!!!

• imagewalker03:

Kind of... I was born and raised catholic, but I have to admit I fell off the wagon regarding my faith.  Part of me really wants to believe it is real, and part of me thinks the pastor is trying to gain new followers. 

• imagewalker03:

I am not religious... but I don't know what you would call me. Are there times where I believe in heaven and hell and Jesus and God? Yes... Are there times that I don't? Yes.

I guess it is who I am, to second guess a lot of it. But I walked away with a lot to think about. I would love for all of this to be real, because it brings me a lot of comfort. But do I 100% believe it is real? I cannot say that.

Looking online for some questions, I found a lot of people who claim this book to be fake and only written to sound true. I'm not sure a boy could lie about that though, in TV interviews and such.

• imagewalker03:
    imagewalker03:
    I'll answer my own question...I loved and believed it all until the middle part, I think just all the details and the author's quotations of Bible verses made me wonder...is this for real or did the dad write it.  But, I think the picture of Jesus made me a believer!!!

I went into it thinking "how true can this really be?"  But after reading it and hearing all that Colton saw and the people he met, I'm choosing to believe it.  Maybe it's just something I need to believe in right now due to my life circumstances. 

• Why did it take so long for Colton to reveal his entire story? Why didn?t he say something when he woke up in the hospital? From a child?s perspective how do you think he saw this experience?

• imagecoastalmaine:
    Mine was definately the part where he tells his mom he knows he has two sisters...that part was pretty amazing to me. I also thought the drawing of Jesus was pretty draw dropping too.

^ this 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCashewsMommy:

Why did it take so long for Colton to reveal his entire story? Why didn?t he say something when he woke up in the hospital? From a child?s perspective how do you think he saw this experience?

That's what I wondered too. Why didn't he say something about it right then?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry to bail so early on this discussion ladies...I've had a looong day!  I enjoyed this book a lot.  It gave me a lot of hope and comfort during a time in my life that I really needed it.

Have a good night!  I'll catch up on the discussion in the morning!

• imageCashewsMommy:

Why did it take so long for Colton to reveal his entire story? Why didn?t he say something when he woke up in the hospital? From a child?s perspective how do you think he saw this experience?

That is a really interesting question...

Maybe he didn't feel the need to tell it all...I find that kids are REALLY wanting to tell a story when they want attention.  He was very at peace.

Or maybe it is because kids are so literal, no one asked what he experienced, so he didn't say anything.

• imagewalker03:
    imageCashewsMommy:

Maybe he didn't feel the need to tell it all...I find that kids are REALLY wanting to tell a story when they want attention.  He was very at peace.

Or maybe it is because kids are so literal, no one asked what he experienced, so he didn't say anything.

I wonder about this too... maybe he didn't feel he needed to tell at all. Maybe he was thinkng "Wasn't this something that everyone goes through?"

• imagewalker03:
    imageCashewsMommy:

This. 

• imagejenek0213:

imagewalker03:

Hey ladies! Sorry I'm late!

I too had some doubts as to the veracity of the story. Colton just sounded so mature to me in the book. almost like a adult trying to write like a child. but the more I thought about it, it probably was a little bit of that. I mean, I wouldn't be able to remember someone's exact words this many years later. I watched some of Colton's interviews online and that's when I started to really believe. 

I thought this too. I have met a lot of 3 year olds that still have difficulty with sentences, and it seemed like he had way too many full sentences.

• What was the most eye popping/jaw dropping/tell all your friends part of the book for you?

When he talked about his other sister....oh man that made my heart stop and that was BEFORE my m/c. I though about that part of the book yesterday and realized I should probably come up with a little name for my angel baby, even if they were only 8 weeks :(

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagejenek0213:

What did you think about the part of Colton seeing the apocalypse? Why didn't Colton see himself fighting alongside his father?

I actually really didn't like that part. It seemed rather creepy and a part that does not bring me comfort! I think I kind of choose to forget about it too.

• imagejenek0213:

What did you think about the part of Colton seeing the apocalypse? Why didn't Colton see himself fighting alongside his father?

I have never really learned about the apocalypse...even going through 9 years of Catholic school.  So, I was just confused.  

Maybe he didn't see himself because he was looking and wouldn't see himself.

• imageHolly929:

When he talked about his other sister....oh man that made my heart stop and that was BEFORE my m/c. I though about that part of the book yesterday and realized I should probably come up with a little name for my angel baby, even if they were only 8 weeks :(

A lot of women here have done that. Even if it was a simple name, or nickname. My c/p we nicknamed Almond.. I know that's kind of a weird name, but I don't think any other uni-sex name would be right.

• What was the most eye popping/jaw dropping/tell all your friends part of the book for you?

** I have to agree with many PPs who mentioned Colton meeting his unborn sister in Heaven.  When I began reading this book, I had just gotten my 2nd BFP and by the end of the week I was already miscarrying.  When Colton said his sister did not have a name, that kind of broke my heart for my angel babies.  We've talked about choosing two unisex names, but never really decided on any.

I was also very moved when the babysitter heard Colton crying and he shared with her about his sister.  When she shared that her faith had wavered and Colton helped restore some of that, I really connected.  My faith hasn't been the strongest, especially since my second loss. 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• imageCashewsMommy:

I wondered this too- great question!  I've worked with LOs for nearly 10 years now (teaching and daycare experience) and one thing I've always noticed, is that they don't necessarily realize the 'un'ordinary or extraordinary.  I kinda of think that until he got a little older and was able to discern reality from extraordinary, was he able to grasp more of what he had experienced.    

• imagejenek0213:
    imageHolly929:

I know! After I read about her saying she didn't have a name, i felt a desperate need to name my angel babies. I even talked to DH about it. He said that we didn't know whether the babies were girls or boys so how could we name them. I suggested we name them something that would work for a boy or a girl. So we talked about a couple of unisex names but didn't come to a conclusion. But I think we will name our little angels.

• Well ladies. I am off!!

I want to thank all of you for joining the discussion tonight. Please feel free to continue asking questions and commenting on others!!! I'll check back in the morning. Thanks a ton ladies!

• imagejenek0213:
    Do you think that the Todd's use of scripture to back up Colton's story enhanced the book? Or did it detract from the story?

I know I said I was off... but I hopped back on for a quick moment.

I didn't really like the scripture, only because of the fact that i'm not a religious person... and adding it made it feel too preachy. I understand it was connecting Coltons experience to what the bible states, but anyone can do that as well. I don't know. I sometimes wished it was more of their story.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"