September 2011 Moms

Just for fun, what is the worst wedding gift you got?

Totally NBR, but I was going through a storage closet the other day and found some pretty awesomely horrible gifts we got.  I think we have a three way tie.  The first was a book about having a successful marriage from our best man (who had been married less then a month longer than us. 

The best part of that one was I am pretty sure it was a re-gift because the front page was torn out and and a new dedication was written from his new wife including a bit about how they "ripped" the page on accident and had to start over.

The other two were a frame and a candle holder that were either pulled from a storage closet or thrift shop.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that people took the time to come to our wedding and by no means expected a gift (honestly.  I just will forever remember these awesome items.  I may hang on to them forever just because.

So what is yours?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Just for fun, what is the worst wedding gift you got?

• Ours was a gift that contained a mini George Foreman grill (we already had one and the friend that gave it to us should have known), two dishtowels that are horrible at drying anything, cocktail napkins, cocktail stirring sticks, and cocktail umbrellas. All potentially useful items, just a weird mish-mash of a gift. It came from DH's friend whose wife was very pregnant, so I'm guessing he was in charge of getting the gift and sending it to us. In the end we regifted the George Foreman at a white elephant gift exchange. I'm not sure what happened to the cocktail items, and we use the dishtowels under hot dishes or other similar things.
  • OnwardOnward member

I got a used towel (just one!) as a bridal shower gift.

We got a camoflauge fleece blanket at our wedding... no card, we are still not sure who it came from.  We are...um... not camo people.  It was very random.  But the dog loves it so it stays on his bed!

We also got a very ornate marriage cross (like a wall decoration kind of thing) from a friend's girlfriend.  We are not religous at all and my husband can't stand anything that is ornate.  I regifted to a cousin a few years later Embarrassed but I knew she would appreciate it!

ETA:  OH!  And probably the weirdest would be the friend who got us a document safe, and a pillow.  In the same gift bag.  Both very useful but an odd choice to give together!

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a toss up...extremely large lazy susan or meat grinder.  Both were given away after our garage sale last summer.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We didn't get anything terrible as far as I can remember.  I am from Ireland & got married there.  Wedding guests there tend to give cash which was awesome.  We had two or three couples show up empty-handed which kind of shocked me!  Not that you expect anything but I couldn't imagine showing up to wedding without bringing something!

• Oh god.  

1) a cheap a$s plastic salad bowl

2) metal salad tongs with indians painted on the handles...with tempra paint 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We mostly got cash and gift cards. We didn't really need anything, except a new bed (which we got with the cash).

The weirdest we got was from DH's cousin, they got us a set of candles, that I'm pretty sure came from the dollar store, and a pair of teeny hugging teddy bears.

Also a towel set from from a family friend (also on DH's side, most of my family is too far away) they're nice towels, but we just bought a brand new set when we moved in here in December.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A book.  And I can't remember what it was about. Probably life.  Who knows where it is now.  We've moved to two states since our wedding.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • At DH's Tool and Yard Shower we got......... A Sockett.... not a sockett set or a socket wrench.. just a single sockett.

Also, this isn't bad but kind of funny.  The place I registered for messed up my registry and we got 36 SETS of towels ( two towels, two hand towels, and two wash cloths)  I have so many towels sitting in my storage closet because I knew that I would always need towels.. but 36 SETS!!!!

• Believe it or not, we got a wooden statue of a duck, dressed as a....wait for it...duck hunter!!! The thing is horrific, is about a foot and a half tall, is sporting a camo outfit and a riffle! Weirdest wedding gift of all time...it's become a joke between me and DH...we will randomly position him (who we've named Mr. Quackers) in different places to surprise each other! :) I'm just thankful that the person who gave it to us wasn't able to make it to the shower and instead dropped it off at our house where we could open it in private and laugh hysterically without hurting anyone's feelings!
  • We got a plastic bird feeder (ummm wth??), his & her matching watches (so generic, probably from a garage sale... The box it came in was actually dusty!) and someone donated a heifer to a family in Africa...in our names. WTF?? We're not Prince William and Kate... So random and weird.

I also have to say all were from DH's side...he's got some weirdo's over there, lol
  • Our gift from DH's aunt was "in the mail." It's been "in the mail" for 4 years.

ETA - remembered another one! I got a picture frame from Michaels that I returned for $6. When I opened it, I looked ALL over for a gift card or something to be in the frame, in the tissue paper...nope.

• We got not one, but TWO of those really tacky crystal frames that hold a photo on one side and your wedding photo on the other side.

The oddest present, however, was a beautiful Cuisinart food processor. The gift itself was lovely -- it was the timing that was so odd. We received it from my uncle FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AFTER our wedding. Yep, got it a couple of months after DS was born. My uncle is an odd guy, and he followed it up by saying, "it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't get you a wedding gift. Enjoy." I still sent out his TY card in a timely manner. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • From my cousin, her new hubby, her brother, and her mom and dad (my aunt and uncle)...that's 5 people...I got a wedding photo album and 2 coffee mugs. The mugs were acutally from my registry and cost $10, but the photo album was 100% a regift from my cousin's wedding which had just been 1 month before. I know this because I know who got it for her! I didn't like it either and took it back, but still. I shouldn't complain about HOW MUCH people got me, but just a month earlier I had given her and her new husband a really nice wedding gift and then for my wedding gift the FIVE of them go in on $10. Whatever. FWIW, the same cousin and her mom/my aunt gave me one of my favorite gifts from my baby shower. ;)

• OOOOhhhh....it was an 8x10 crystal wedding picture frame. Sounds nice, but totally NOT our style (it had a bride & groom cut into it, w/ all these flowers around it, etched and clear crystal, looked like something from the 80s - I'm sure it was expensive, but we both really honestly detested it).  We donated it to Salvation Army or Goodwill.

And I honestly have never, and would never recycle a gift that I got & hated, b/c I'd be too embarassed to have the recepient think that I liked it enough to buy/give it to them!  I take pride when selecting gifts for my gift giving (big or small).  A lot of the times, if I have stuff that I don't want anymore (new or used), I offer it to family & friends whom I know would appreciate it (and they return the favour) - it's recycling at it's best!  It's not for everyone, but I love giving/recycling for no reason at all, it's better than having the stuff just sit there and take up space in my home.

• One of those dollar-store picture frames with hearts and "Love" written all over it. lol

• My cousin and her husband gave us $70.  A card with a $50 and two $10s.  I thought that was really odd.  Like what a random amount.   She was a bridesmaid.  I spent $60 just on having her hair done.  Nevermind the other gifts I gave the bridesmaids, but whatever.

We got mostly cash, a few ugly pieces of crystal and one terrible frame.  It's got like a saying on one side.  On the other there's a heart frame for a wedding picture.  Terrible.

• From my MIL and FIL:

my bridal shower - tarzan and jane matching outfits.  The "husbands" shorts were velcro on the side so you could just rip them off (my MIL explained that to me when I opened it.  We were not super close, so I was a little bit embarrassed)

our wedding - a dollar store rubber spatula (I knew it was from the dollar store because she told me so).  That was our wedding gift...no other contributions to the wedding.  We used it and I thought of them every time I did. They are not rich but by no means poor.

We laugh about it now... 

•  Oh! GFIL got me a fishing pole, as in "his" and "her" style, but he only got one for me...and DH doesnt fish....? LMAO, totally random!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our worst gift was a box of really old candles from partylite. The box was so old it was faded in spots and the candles had a faint scent of cinnamon. Our wedding was in August. Kind of an odd summer scent. The best part was the giant, princess cut diamond candle holder that sits so elegantly in it's brass stand. We use it when the power goes out. 
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • same old thing as many of PP's.. ugly crystal frames (returned two of them, one cost $9 from my cousin)

Vilroy and Boch Candle matching candle sticks...i know. not odd right? WRONG.

they are shaped like daffadils at the top (center of the flower was where the candle goes in) and were a TOWERING  2 1/2 FEET tall! We lived in a one bedroom apartment when we got married. Worst part? The boxes were beat up, and retaped shut with packing tape. obviously a re-gift or giveaway...

oh and how about worst Christmas gift???

I was only 17 at the time, I got a porcelain Christmas ornament of Mary and Jesus from my SIL (they gave my sister a sweater) in a DUSTY clear box with scotch tape around the edges. She whispered to me, I knew you'd love it, and you can SAVE IT for when you have YOUR OWN CHRISTMAS TREE! (with a big smile...she said that.) I looked at her and said "thanks" thinking.."save it?!!? woman, im 17, a keychain woulda been more meaningful! 

sigh...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Mrs. Fitzsimons on 4/21/07.
  • At least you guys got stuff. I got married while I was deployed. Yeah thats right I wasn't even in the same country as DH.  Not even family gave us anything....Jerks. I'd rather have a few crappy trinkets/frames than nothing at all.

I'm good at giving gifts and my gifts are usually something that will be used alot. But after that I was so mad about our wedding that I haven't given one gift to anyone this year.

Exept my online bumpie. for the onesie exchange. I know I sound like a jerk but really! not getting a thing for a very big day is a huge disappointment. I am not one to care if I get anything for my birthday but on a wedding day its not just about me its about my husband too.

• We received a hideous garden/outdoor piece of a sun that swung back and forth on a pedestal.  This thing freak the dogs out, and it was quickly lost during the frequent moving we did in the first year!

We also received a candle chandlier, and I think it was bought for us because it had orange plastic "jewels" hanging off of it.  We went to Clemson University, and one of the school's colors is orange.  It was also lost during all the moving we did. 

• Set of dishes from the local Mikasa that had gone out of business.  First, it was not even close to what I had registered for, nor would I have picked it out in the first place.  Second, it was missing a plate, and had a broken bowl.  Great, since I couldn't return it because the store had closed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"