Austin Babies

Meal and Snack Ideas

DD is officially off all of the purees.  I need some ideas for her meals and snacks.  I feel like I'm giving her the same foods over and over again. 

I've been giving her (depending on what is on hand and made) combinations of carrots, peas, corn, green beans, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, peaches, pears, shredded cheese, black beans, brown rice, ground turkey, yogurt.  For snacks it has been puffs and yogurt melts mostly.  We tried Cheerios but she wasn't a big fan.  

Give me your ideas please!  I'd like easy to grab or put together meals if possible.  Since DH works nights and 24 hour shifts, we don't sit as a family to eat dinner and half the time there isn't any cooking going on.  When I'm on my own I eat a bowl of cereal most of the time, but I still need something good for DD.  Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Meal and Snack Ideas

• shredded lunch meat (turkey, ham, bologna), avocado, grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes, waffles
  • toast, ravioli, blueberries, cheese or chicken quesadillas, pasta & sauce, graham crackers.  T is a big fan of sweet potato pancakes and broccoli cheese bites (recipe is towards the bottom of the page), which both freeze well.  Make a big batch and then just pop one or two out of the freezer at mealtime.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, as much as possible, y'all should sit down together to eat. Modeling good eating behaviors will help her to understand mealtimes and encourage her to eat well. If mommy eats chicken, DD will eat chicken! I know it's much easier said than done. I rush through a "family meal" at least 3 nights a week. Sometimes it's as little as me sitting down for 5 minutes before running off to take a shower and get ready for work. But it means a lot. Even if it's just you and DD, try to make it sit down dinner for both if you.

Try different cereals. The girls like Kix, Chex and Honey Nut Cheerios (they hate plain cheerios).  Puffs and Yogurt melts are good foods to start teaching them how to feed themselves but really don't have much in the way of nutrition sustenance.

I know your diet is probably kind of limited with some of your tummy issues so eating simple foods may not be a bad thing. You can try making macaroni and cheese with quinoa noodles for extra protien. Or mix a little quinoa into it. Even Abby doesn't care much when I do this.

Blueberries, dried cranberries, organic cereal bars (these are not much better than NutriGrain but the girls love them on the go). Barbara's brand holds together better than the Kashi ones especially once half crushed in the diaper bag.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Since DD hardly has any teeth yet we're still in the small squishy foods.

Right now, for snacks, DD loves:  bananas, strawberries, mango, pear, peach, clementines, she *loves* pineapple but it makes her break out.  I also give her goldfish/annie's "goldfish", corn puffs, toast, graham crackers, whole milk yogurt, string cheese or fresh mozzarella.

For meals... breakfast is usually french toast, pancakes, oatmeal, or quaker cereal.  Lunch/Dinner:  quesadillas, PB&J, small pasta with marinara, raviloi, turkey meatloaf, shredded chicken, grilled cheese, mashed potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, avocados, rice, salmon, tilapia, shrimp, she loooves scallops.  I'm pretty much feeding her anything we eat, but those listed have been her favorites. 

I've made a few things out of the Deceptively Delicious cook book that she's really enjoyed.  Apple oatmeal muffins, broccoli chicken/tofu nuggets, and turkey meatloaf.  She loves the meatloaf.  If I'm worried about her getting enough protein I make that and she'll scarf it down.  If you want the recipes I can give them to you.

IMG_1749_2
  • imageSpanishbeauty:
      she *loves* pineapple but it makes her break out. 

We just found it yest/today that it does the same to Emily :(

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have a spreadsheet with ideas on it if you want a copy :)   michelleaxo at aol dot com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"