Breastfeeding

Pump and dump advice

Went cabrewing for a guys and girls weekend.

Drank 4 beers between noon and 6 Saturday

Pumped 7 ounces and dumped down drain

Sobored up 

Drank 1 beer at 10 pm Saturday

Went to bed

Pumped 10 ounces Sunday morning

Would you dump? Do you think that 10 ounces has alcohol in it?

Re: Pump and dump advice

• Nope...I think you are good to keep it.  Should be gone out of your milk like it is gone out of your blood.  It doesn't stay and build up.  Only reason for pumping and dumping is for your own comfort.  It doesn't make the alcohol go away. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AmyRIAmyRI member
    No it doesn't. You were no longer intoxicated, so there is no alcohol in that milk. Don't dump it. You probably didn't need to dump what you did on Saturday, either, since your body processes 1 drink per hour and you drank 4 over 6 hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies! That's what I thought, I guess I just needed some reassurance.
  • I would definitely keep that milk. In fact, I frequently nurse right away with one beer. But yeah, the next morning you'd be FINE. 

I also just found this out -- apparently pumping and dumping isn't ever necessary unless you are engorged. If you can wait until you've sobered up to remove the milk, then you don't need to dump it, no matter how much you drank. It's really counter-intuitive to me, but the alcohol actually leaves the milk (if it's still in your boobs) once you sober up. 

I'm really glad I found this out before this one evening I had a few weeks ago. I had probably 3-3.5 drinks, which is the most I've had in over a year. I felt it. I pumped after I had sobered up, which was 8 hours after I had previously pumped (this was after work). I got a ton of milk and it was all ok to use! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"