2nd Trimester
Options

pap/pelvic exam??

This is my first pregnancy.  I had a pap in March (everything was good) and found out I was pregnant early May. I was scheduled for a pap and pelvic next week.  Is this normal?  Do you usually have a pap during your pregnancy? Or did they maybe overlook/misread the date.  Nothing has been abnormal where I would think I needed to get another pap, no bleeding, discomfort, etc.  I haven't called them yet.  Wanted to get some advice/opinions.  Thanks all!
IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: pap/pelvic exam??

• Options
    My doctor did a pap/pelvic exam on my second appointment along with my full OB workup (bloodwork, etc).  I think it's typical for them to do one during pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had my pap a few months before I got pregnant.  For the appointment where they usually do the pap, they ended up skipping the pap and just testing for infections.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you could tell them you recently had one done and you would rather have one after you have your baby. My OB gave me a choice, I went ahead and had one done cause I was due. It should your choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    My OB told me they do one unless you've had one in the past 3 months. Maybe call and ask what their normal routine is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doc always gives one in begining. they check my cervix n make sure everything is looking good
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My MW doesn't repeat if it's been less than a year. FWIW, many insurances will only cover one per year, regardless of pregnancy. So I'd ask if your insurance covers it before you get the procedure.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    I also had one a month or so prior to getting pregnant and I just told them I had had one recently and they skipped it (it obviously came back normal).

• Options
    I had one done at my first appointment at 12 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • Options
    I had one in 1st tri. It won't affect your pregnancy if your doc still ends up wanting to do it.
  • Options
    In our doctors office they want you to have one done, but I choose not to have any paps in pregnancy.  Ultimately it's your choice, since we are military i dont see the same doctor all the time, and the one i saw that day told me flat out i was stupid for not having it done and i prob had cancer and i'd kill my baby .. lol ( needless to say i called and reported her for the way she treated me) but it was just a personal choice of ours that we didn't and dont want anything like the such done. 
  • Options
    even with having a pap within a year of conceiving my OB did a pap & STD swab, plus HIV blood work on my first appointment with him after my ultra sound to confirm the pregnancy. I  had to sign forms etc for the STDs in addition to consent for HIV testing because I think it was mandatory by law in my state. 
  • Options

imagekanga47s:
    I had my pap a few months before I got pregnant.  For the appointment where they usually do the pap, they ended up skipping the pap and just testing for infections.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"