October 2011 Moms
Options

Trip to L&D- not fun

Today it was my turn to stop in at L&D! 

Last week I posted about some random stomach bug I thought I got.  I had severe abdominal pains and I wasn't keeping anything in me, even much water, for two days. Plus I was getting these super sharp pains that made me nauseaus near my pelvic bone but only when laying on the left side.  It freaked me out and I thought I had torn something, had a hernia, etc... The doctor said to stay hydrated and give it 48 hours to pass.  So I did, but things weren't getting better by Thursday (I hadn't even left the house all week).  I called again Thursday and he suggested I go to L&D if I couldn't eat or drink within the next 1-2 hours.

As it turned out, I wound up falling asleep soon after I spoke to the doctor and got like 5 hours of mid-day sleep without any pain.  I woke up sore but hungry and I ate some bland food and drank a ton.  It all stayed in me (finally), so I thought it passed and I didn't go to L&D.  Friday I felt the same- tired, sore, like I was recouping from being sick all week, but no sharp pains or bowel movements.  

I counted my chickens before they hatched, though, because it started again Saturday and all through the night last night.  After toughing it out as long as I thought I could, I finally made DH take me in to L&D.  I was there for about 5 hours.  They took urine and blood, monitored me and the baby, and hydrated me with 2 bags of IV fluids.

Long story short, it's 1 of 2 things: a nasty intestinal bug that needs to just run its course, or my gluten allergy getting MUCH worse.  I was tested for celiac disease 2 years ago and the test indicated an allergy to gluten but not full-blown celiac.  I was put on a gluten-modified diet (read: eat it sparingly).  I was fine all the time, and in fact I ate a TON of gluten-heavy foods during pregnancy b/c it was all I could stand or keep in with m/s and it never bothered me.  The doctor was fine with me eating it liberally b/c allergies can change during pregnancy.  However, apparently this is my body telling me "Get that crap out of me NOW".  Sigh.  I don't know if I can live without good pizza.

I'm glad to be home though and glad the LO is okay! Now, enough of us have stopped in at L&D in the last two weeks- I'll be the last one, thankyouverymuch! :) 

Re: Trip to L&D- not fun

• Options
    So glad you and LO is alright!
  • Options
    Yikes!  So sorry to hear that that happened.  I hope you feel better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So glad everything is alright!  I'm sure you can find gluten free pizza.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    so glad that LO is okay!!. Funny enough, at the pizza place near me they were advertizing gluten free pizza dough. But you know us in California are all hippy dippy. But you might want to check and see if it offered anywhere.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Glad it's nothing too serious! Smile Yeah yeah I know not being able to eat wheat seems serious to some people but it's really not that bad. I've been tested twice for celiac, each time it was negative but I follow a GF diet because I know wheat/gluten makes me sick.

Having planned a few trips to NYC and googling gluten free dining before I went, I happen to know there are a ton of places you can get gluten free pizza & pasta AND if you're up for a little trip, head to Babycakes for super delicious gluten free cupcakes!

If you haven't tried Udi's line of breads, buns and pizza shells, get your GF-eating butt to a grocery store! They have a store locator on their website. You don't even have to toast the bread to make it palatable!

If you have any questions about sticking to the diet, ask away! I'm a wealth of knowledge Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry you've not been feeling well, but glad everyone is OK. Hopefully you won't get sick like that again. I know they make gluten-free pizza, but I haven't tried it. Gluten-Free Pantry has some really good brownies, I can say that much! Hang in there. :)
    imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"