Northern California Babies

WWYD :: Glucose / GD Related

Quick Backstory: With PG #1, I failed my 1-hour glucose tolerance test, but passed my 3-hour (apparently passed by a lot). Had 10 lb, 5 oz. baby, but her glucose levels were normal and my OB swears I didn't have undiagnosed GD.

PG #2 (current one), I failed the 1-hour and just got my results back for the 3-hour. Technically, (according to the standards my doc's office uses), I passed. Of the 3 blood draws, I failed one. So I basically "passed" by the skin of my teeth. My OB said I should stay completely away from desserts/sweets/candy/juice/soda. That was basically all she said and I was too busy absorbing the news to really ask any questions.

Now, of course, I have a ton of questions and will be gathering them and giving her office a call. Most of what I have been wanting this pregnancy are carbs: Pasta, bread, etc. If I'm supposed to avoid sugar, shouldn't I be avoiding other carbs as well? I just don't know if I should take the half-approach she suggested, or pretty much follow a GD diet since my prev kid was already really large, and I don't want to take any risks with the health of this baby boy. And shouldn't I be re-tested or monitored or something?

Anyway, what would you do? What would you ask or want to know? I'm trying to think this all through and feel a bit overwhelmed. 

- Rene

Re: WWYD :: Glucose / GD Related

• I had gd with my first pregnancy, but was never certain I had it.  The diet was easy enough to follow, but it was a lot of eating!  For me at least.  I say it wouldn't hurt to follow a similiar diet.  A 10.5 pound baby would probably scare me into trying it. :)

• If I were you I would request a second test to happen in 1-2 weeks since GD can become more moticable longer into pregnancy.
    Kaiser doesn't let you fail a single part of the test and considers you to have GD if you fail any part. I thought you were with Kaiser?
    there are some general rules for GD should you choose to follow it, eat 5-6 small meals a day and balance each meal with carb protein and fat. If I recall my carbamazepine right I was allowed 30 carbs for every meal except dinner which was 40-60 if I ate enough fat and protein. It's been a while so dont count on my memory beyond being 100% sure that realfast and 2 snacks were 30, it's lunch and dinner I space on.
    another thing to know is that your body tolerates fewer carbs in the morning tha At night and that you should eat within 2 hours of waking up to keep your bs balanced. Each meal is 2-3 hours apart.
    Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would consider asking your dr for a meter and checking your blood sugar and asking to talk to a nutritionist. It could not hurt. The fasting blood sugar number in the morning and before meals can give you and your dr some info to work with.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had GD with 3 of my pregnancies and now have diabetes myself.  I would talk to your Dr. about your concerns and ask if you can see a dietitian just so you can be sure of what to eat and what not to eat.  I had to be on insulin (but I have diabetes that runs in both sides of my family) and to be honest, following the GD diet, I was never hungry and felt great.  You do eat alot.  I remember lots of tea for breakfast, eggs with 1 piece of toast, and then a few hours later a snack, a small apple with either a few crackers or string cheese.  I ate all the time.  But I only gained 6lbs, 16 lbs and 19 lbs with those pregnancies.  And my kids were 8.2oz, 7.1oz, 7.1oz and 8.9 oz.  I also had to be induced 10 days earlier then my due date to make sure they were not to big. 

It's scary to hear, I remember being panicked and worried, but after I spoke with a dietitian and saw how much I could eat, it was just portion control and being mindful of what it was, it wasn't to bad.  

Good luck!  

• Thank you so much for everyone's replies so far. I really appreciate it! The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward basically asking my OB to make the GD diagnosis so that I can get the nutritionist's help, be monitored, etc. 

imagePKW:
    I thought you were with Kaiser?

Madison is (for now), but I'm not. It's interesting, everything I've heard so far is that doc's will diagnose GD based on one failed number, so I'm surprised my office is different, especially with my history (between Mads' size and my Mom having GD with both pregnancies and now type 2.) 

Hmm... Lots to think about. And now to figure out what in the heck to eat for dinner tonight! lol. 

- Rene
  • https://www.aapscot.org/a-gestational-diabetes-diet-chart-helps-to-maintain-healthy-and-varied-diet/ 

https://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/gestational-diabetes-diet-plan-1549.html

https://diabetes.webmd.com/understanding-serving-sizes

The first two are good tips to help you out (like no juice, etc).  The third gives you and idea of what a portion size is.

My favorite breakfast was 1 slice of whole wheat toast with organic peanut butter and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.  I still eat it a lot actually.  For dinners focus on things like a meat a serving size of veggies and a small serving of starch.  I usually did a chicken breast, salmon, or steak with broccoli/asparagus/greenbeans, and rice/potatos.  Look into the kinds of potatoes because different kinds are better than others.  I lived for red potatoes.

You can eat pizza, you just have to go for HEAVY on the meat and monitor the number of slices.  I could eat round table's all meat marvel 2 slices.  I also liked once a week getting a fast food fix and I would go to mcdonalds and have the mini meal of chicken nuggets (4 of them) and a side salad with a diet coke or iced tea (i was approved for that much caffeine).  You just have to play with the options you have out there and before you go out anywhere look up the menu and decide what you will eat in advance.

If you want restaurant req's lemme know  my family eats out once a week together so I got to know menus and what I could and couldnt eat very well.

You are welcome to email me anytime kendallandpatrick at gmail dot com 

• https://members.kaiserpermanente.org/kpweb/healthency.do?hwid=hw197466 

Great info here too.  I would click through the links on all the pages and just read it all. =) 

• CelynCelyn member

When I failed the one hour and the first hour of the three hour, I was told that was common and fairly expected when one fails the one hour.  Most everyone I know failed the first hour, at least of the one who were told their hour by hour results. I wasn't told to follow any special diet or limit anything as a result.  In fact, now that I think about it, I had to do the 3-hr both times and was not considered to have GD either time.  I had 2 8-lb babies.  Ryan was 8lbs even, Aaron was 8lb 2oz.

• It is so weird how every doc is different. My OB now uses the two hour fasting test, and if you fail any, you fail and are diagnosed GD.

Did you do Bradley Method? Have you ever followed the Brewer's Diet? It is almost impossible to eat a ton of carbs following that diet. Of course, I also ended up with a big baby, and barely passed the 2 hour GD test. But, still, the focus is on getting a TON of protein (80g/day).

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Wow, Kendall! Thank you so much for that info. I just left a message, but my OB is out for the day, so I'll need to be a little bit on my own for now. My Mom has Type 2 (not sure if I mentioned that), so I got a meter and am going over to my parents' house tonight for her to show me how to use it.

L - I didn't do the classes (only the book) and honestly started so late that I skipped the diet stuff since I was almost done, anyway. I'll look into the Brewer's Diet. Maybe it'll at least give me a jumping off point and/or meal ideas, which is what I'm most intimidated about.

I'm really going with my gut on this and leaning on the safe side. The thing is, following the diet and monitoring myself definitely can't hurt and it may help (and lower my stress/fear that I may be harming the baby), so it'll be interesting to see what my doc says. I think she'll be supportive since she was already telling me to at least do a modified diet. 

Thanks so much again. I'll probably be emailing you BTDT ladies for some help with meal ideas and logistic questions.

Oh one quick one right now: What were the glucose numbers you were aiming for on the meter? I'm wondering if they're different than when not pregnant.

- Rene
  • Am I misremembering who said this - didn't one of your doctors expect you to fail the 3-hr based on your meds interfering with the test?

FYI - for the new 2-hr test, the levels are different, so if you fail any part of that it's considered indicative of GD.  I've seen different standard numbers for the Kaiser reading of the 3-hr test as well, so don't be nervous about your results if your doctor thinks your fine, he might not be working from the same scale.

• imageNCSW:

Oh one quick one right now: What were the glucose numbers you were aiming for on the meter? I'm wondering if they're different than when not pregnant.

Your fasting BS should be below 95. Your BS one hour after meals should be below 140.

Also, make sure that you're not going longer than 10 hours between your last snack of the night and breakfast. Otherwise, your body can create it's own BS and give you higher #s after fasting.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • imageeverydayeve:
    imageNCSW:

Your fasting BS should be below 95. Your BS one hour after meals should be below 140.

Also, make sure that you're not going longer than 10 hours between your last snack of the night and breakfast. Otherwise, your body can create it's own BS and give you higher #s after fasting.

If your BS does go over 140 an hour after eating make sure you take a brisk walk for about 20 minutes, this USUALLY will bring it down.  If you get over 180 Kaiser considers this a danger zone and you should walk and drink water until it comes down, if it takes more than 2 hours to bring it into range (120 for 2 hours post meal) then you need to contact your doctor (with Kaiser we are assigned a GD nurses line that is 24 hours and a specific nurse who we talk to weekly...so I dunno what other providers do). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"