December 2011 Moms

Don't think I can breastfeed...sad. (TMI? Vent? IDK!)

So, I had a reduction when I was 18 and now I'm 30. When I had the surgery my doctor said I could have trouble breastfeeding. That literally means nothing to an 18 year old! Now here I am taking steps to address that reality- reading books, seeking out a lactation consultant and basically doing obsessive research because now that I am pregnant it means so much to me. I know it's best for the baby and for developing our relationship.

I've had two meltdowns so far. I could have a full supply, no supply or something in the middle- this is true for everyone, not just me. The sad part is that I won't know if breastfeeding is even a possibility until she is born. Again, I hate to say it but this is technically true for everyone but I know the odds are against me. I read a story in one of my books last night about this woman and how she tried but the baby rejected her milk because of the supplementing she had to do despite this woman doing literally everything possible and it really set me off. I cried all night.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why I posted this (I'm new) but maybe it can help someone else dealing with the same thing. If someone is out there, you can read "Defining Your Own Success, Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery" by Diane West but be advised it will not fill you with false hope...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Photobucket

Re: Don't think I can breastfeed...sad. (TMI? Vent? IDK!)

• I too had a reduction when I was younger (22), but I'm staying hopeful, but not setting myself up for a disappointment.  My best friend, who had no breast surgery in her past, had an extremely difficult time, so it can happen, surgery or not.  Right now my plan is to try and hopefully it works.

I seem to recall my dr saying that if you had sensation back after surgery, your chances of having difficulty breastfeeding were much less, but it was so long ago...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not trying to burst your bubble or make light of your situation, but formula really isn't the end of the world if it comes to that.  I hope you can BF when the times comes.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageawillis13:

I too had a reduction when I was younger (22), but I'm staying hopeful, but not setting myself up for a disappointment.  My best friend, who had no breast surgery in her past, had an extremely difficult time, so it can happen, surgery or not.  Right now my plan is to try and hopefully it works.

I seem to recall my dr saying that if you had sensation back after surgery, your chances of having difficulty breastfeeding were much less, but it was so long ago...

I'm trying to stay positive but the combination of hormones and this book really set me over the edge! Plus, it seemed like there were not a lot of people talking about it. That book is very good though if you are interested, thanks for responding

Photobucket
  • imageCOmommy:
    I'm not trying to burst your bubble or make light of your situation, but formula really isn't the end of the world if it comes to that.  I hope you can BF when the times comes.

I know it's not, I wasn't breat fed and I'm awesome! Big Smile I just want the option. It's weird how all of a sudden it matters to me

Photobucket
  • Sorry you are going through such anxiety over this. But try not to stress. Either way you are going to bond beautifully with you LO. Breastfeeding is so different for everyone, who knows maybe you will be able to or maybe it wont work out. The important part is the blessing of your precious LO. And trust me you LO will adore you without bias for what way you are able to feed them. Try not to worry yourself sick, that will only make things worse for you and your baby over the rest of your PG.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SaraTFSaraTF member

I had a breast reduction when I was 22 and am still hopeful! It really depends on what kind of surgery you had (for example, did they completely detach the nipples) and how you have healed. My doctor took out way less that I wanted because he wanted me to have the option to breastfeed. There was a great study I read while considering surgery... it followed women who considered BR surgery and did not have it and those who did and compared breastfeeding outcomes. It turns out that women who consider BR have a harder time breastfeeding even if they don't have the surgery. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I was well aware of the potential consequences of my surgery. Frankly, being able to move and not have constant back/shoulder/head pain have been well worth it to me. I'm sure my child will appreciate being picked up. If this means I cannot breastfeed, then that is fine. I will try my best though! 

I really wouldn't let it bother you so much. Reading your post stressed me out for you! You'll try your best and if it doesn't work out you'll use formula. 

• heuyheuy member

Another scenario is that your baby might not even take to your milk. Apparently I was fussy when I was born and ma's milk "wasn't good enough" so I grew up on formula. 

I think I turned out alright ;)

Bottom line--as much as it would mean the world to me to breastfeed, I also know that it might not be reality, but I still have options to raise a healthy baby! 

Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • I wasn't able to bond with ds until I quit trying to breastfeed.  Our whole family was so much happier once I quit trying because of the terrible time I had.  I hope for you it works out and you are able to, because I remember how important it was to me that it work out.  Just remember that if it doesn't, formula is not poison, and sometimes it is better for everyone to go that route.  Then again, it's easier to say "don't beat yourself up" than it is to actually not beat yourself up when you want it to work so badly.
  • I had my breast reduction when I was 15 and am now 36. When I had my reduction, they only detached nipples at the time so I knew I wasn't going to be able to breastfeed. I know it was the best thing for me though bc I was very restricted when I had my larger breasts.

So I didn't plan to even try to breastfeed. Ironically I did produce milk and had to wear very tight bras to suppress it. Since DD was on triple photo therapy, she had to have a strict feeding so I don't think I could have breastfed her anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"