Infertility

If IVF weren't $12k cheaper at the MTF

I would fire my RE. 

I spoke to my IVF coordinator Friday because it was CD1 and I need CD3 blood work.  She tried to fax the order to the civilian hospital where I now live, but said the fax number wasn't working for some reason.  She emailed me the paperwork instead, told me to print it out and take it to the hospital, then once they get the results they can send me my IVF calendar.  Easy peasy.

Nope.  I brought the paperwork into the hospital this morning and they couldn't do the labs because the doctor didn't sign the order.  I called the clinic, but of course it's Sunday, so no answer, and they either don't have or just don't advertise on-call phone numbers for after duty emergencies.  I called the front desk of the hospital to see if they could call a staff member at home, but the guy said since my doctor worked a 24 hour shift yesterday, they wouldn't call him.  He transferred me to the Labor & Delivery ward, and of course they wouldn't help me because I'm not their patient.

So now I wait another month.  I had all this blood work done last October and it's supposed to be good for a year.  

IVF is only costing us $4k at the military clinic, so I'm trying to not grind my teeth over it, but hellooooo, that's a huge administrative error!  My hope is that even if we don't get pregnant with this fresh IVF, we can get some decent frozen embryos out of it so I can do FET at a civilian clinic.   Ten months of this stupid waiting list, then the classic hurry up and wait routine. Angry

Twin boys due 7/25/12

Re: If IVF weren't $12k cheaper at the MTF

• Oh my.  I have no helpful comments, but I just wanted to say that I am so sorry. I can't believe that people can have such a blas? attitude about IVF.  Totally sucks.    
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • imageAmCheri:
    Oh my.  I have no helpful comments, but I just wanted to say that I am so sorry. I can't believe that people can have such a blas? attitude about IVF.  Totally sucks.    

Amen!  I emailed the coordinator last week and while I wasn't snarky, I was very blunt and told her it's clear I'm not a priority, and I said I hoped it was simply because I wasn't actually cycling yet.  She responded very nicely and said the clinic had just been going crazy for three weeks and she hadn't reviewed charts in weeks.  She promised to email me the list of tests I needed within the week, and she did come through.  

Realistically, I know my IVF isn't as important to anyone else as it is to me (and Joe), and that makes me sad.  

Also, I've been overthinking a tonofshit lately, so I know there's not much to say to my rants.  I know you guys empathize though, so it's worth getting my thoughts out here.  Drinks

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Nothing but empathy here!

The scary thing is that timing and responsiveness from your clinic is so critical with IVF.  There's no room for error.  And what the heck did she mean that she hadn't reviewed charts in weeks??  Seriously?  You're a better woman than I because I would have freaked out on her.   

Getting your thoughts out does help, even if we don't have any particular words of wisdom in response.  Hang in there.  It will happen for you! 

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Thank you, Am.  I'm guessing the charts that needed to be reviewed are for all the people who are on deck on the waiting list.  Three months before our turn for IVF, she's supposed to email us the list of all the remaining tests we need done, so I'm guessing that's what got put on the back burner, all the "new" people who aren't really new, but have been on the list for what seems like an eternity.

I'm trying to reserve my crankiness because I don't know who exactly is causing the problems.  I'm a paralegal and I've worked for my fair share of craptastic attorneys and I've been the middle man between the attorney and unhappy clients.  I know sometimes it's the big guy with the fancy degree that's causing the problems, so I'm not sure if in this case it's the doctor or if it's the coordinator.  I DO know though, the lack of signature on the order is a bad sign from both of them.  

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Don't know for sure-but my clinic allow CD3 labs between CD2-4.  Would talk to your RE tomorrow, after all-this is their mistake.  Good luck!!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Oh, Ojo, I know exactly what you mean. We're using a military RE at the moment and I absolutely hate, hate, hate it. I'm so sorry. Infertility is so hard in itself but when you combine it with the military lifestyle it makes it 100x harder.

I gave you life, then you gave me mine.

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
    Resumed TTC in October 2009 HSG, Hysteroscopy, S/A all clear
    Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
    25 August Lap revealed Endo, adhesions and blocked left tube
    September 2011: Femara + IUI #4 (IUI #1 post endo removal) =BFFN
    November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11
    Beta #1 at 9dp5dt=153! Beta #2 at 16dp5dt= 4009!

Ultrasound 12/30 showed one beautiful heartbeat! EDD 17 August, 2012

Hazel Evelyn arrived 10 August, 2012!

Surprise natural BFP March 2015. M/C at 5 weeks
    Another surprise natural BFP April 2015

• As if IF and IVF aren't hard enough on their own? Ugh, I hope RE and staff can get their act together! You don't need any added stress! Hang in there!  Venting really does help!!!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageFraggleChic:
    Oh, Ojo, I know exactly what you mean. We're using a military RE at the moment and I absolutely hate, hate, hate it. I'm so sorry. Infertility is so hard in itself but when you combine it with the military lifestyle it makes it 100x harder.

Do you deal with a total lack of communication and hurry up and wait too?  I heard the Walter Reed IVF waiting list was much shorter and considered switching to them, but with all this travel, I'm just over it.  I don't have a single RE in my state, nearest one is over 9 hours away, so I'm feeling helpless about my options.

The IVF coordinator just called me back and said, "Well, I don't know what to do now."  Crying  She wants me to come a week early to do my sonogram there so she doesn't have to deal with my local civilian hospital, but of course if anything pops up on that sonogram, I fly home without doing IVF at all.  I had my last saline sonogram in 2008 and it was fine, so I'm guessing the chance of anything major is slim, right? 

My next period should actually fall when I'm in San Diego for a wedding, so I'm crossing my fingers the days line up and I can just go get all this done at their facility without procrastinating until the very last minute.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imageMrsOjoButtons:

imageFraggleChic:
    Oh, Ojo, I know exactly what you mean. We're using a military RE at the moment and I absolutely hate, hate, hate it. I'm so sorry. Infertility is so hard in itself but when you combine it with the military lifestyle it makes it 100x harder.

Do you deal with a total lack of communication and hurry up and wait too?  I heard the Walter Reed IVF waiting list was much shorter and considered switching to them, but with all this travel, I'm just over it.  I don't have a single RE in my state, nearest one is over 9 hours away, so I'm feeling helpless about my options.

The IVF coordinator just called me back and said, "Well, I don't know what to do now."  Crying  She wants me to come a week early to do my sonogram there so she doesn't have to deal with my local civilian hospital, but of course if anything pops up on that sonogram, I fly home without doing IVF at all.  I had my last saline sonogram in 2008 and it was fine, so I'm guessing the chance of anything major is slim, right? 

My next period should actually fall when I'm in San Diego for a wedding, so I'm crossing my fingers the days line up and I can just go get all this done at their facility without procrastinating until the very last minute.

Oh definitely I sought a referral off post last week and it was denied. We're on the IVF list for next July but we might switch to Standard and go somewhere else. There's a doctor that gives a 50% military discount on IVF cycles just st. south of post. The RE's office on post does not return my calls in a timely manner and last month they didn't even put in my Femara  script or laba work like they were supposed to. I get that they offer a huge savings on IF treatments but the logistics of an IF clinic at a military hospital need some serious work.  They just moved the IF clinic here to a new location--right next to the OB/GYN clinic. So while I'm on one side, waiting to be seen, I get to hear women booking their pre-natal care about 10 feet from me.

I gave you life, then you gave me mine.

TTC February 2008 to October 2008 One year forced break due to OIF deployment #2
    Resumed TTC in October 2009 HSG, Hysteroscopy, S/A all clear
    Five total medicated cycles and IUI #1-3 = BFN and all while we were still "unexplained IF"
    25 August Lap revealed Endo, adhesions and blocked left tube
    September 2011: Femara + IUI #4 (IUI #1 post endo removal) =BFFN
    November: IVF #1: Stims started 11/16 ER 11/25 (7R, 5F) ET 11/30 Transferred 2 beautiful expanding blastocysts +HPT 12/6/11
    Beta #1 at 9dp5dt=153! Beta #2 at 16dp5dt= 4009!

Ultrasound 12/30 showed one beautiful heartbeat! EDD 17 August, 2012

Hazel Evelyn arrived 10 August, 2012!

Surprise natural BFP March 2015. M/C at 5 weeks
    Another surprise natural BFP April 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"