August 2011 Moms
Options

Membrane Sweep

I have my next internal on Thursday and I have seen on here that a lot of women will get a membrane sweep at 38-39 weeks.  Just wondering if this is routine or if I have to request it....?  I just want to get the show on the road! lol  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Membrane Sweep

• Options

My midwives only do this at 40 weeks if GBS negative.

BFP 11/10/13 due July 20th, 2014
    TTC #2 July 2013
    DS #1 8/12/2011

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last pg my NP asked if I wanted it done, and I went ahead with it and it didn't do diddly squat, so I'd never have it done again even if I wasn't going in for a repeat c-section. It probably depends on the office you go to though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since my dr hasn't mentioned it, I asked her about doing it last week at my 38 wk appt.  She said that she did not do it before 39wks.  If I'm still pregnant at Wednesday's appointment, I'm going to ask again about doing it.  She did tell me that you have to be at a certain dialation/effacement point for her to do it too, but I didn't ask what that point was.  She just said she refused to do it if your body wasn't totally ready for labor.
  • Options
    You can ask your OB about it. They all do things differently and it never hurts to ask.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Having had this done I can honestly say you don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary.  It hurt like crazy and was very uncomfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see why your doctor wouldn't do that for you, since you are having an internal exam anyway. If your doctor doesn't bring it up, I would definitely ask before the exam.
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Had it done at 39 weeks and 2 days - it was NOT comfortable. At that point, i was 2cm dilated and 60% effaced, which is why my MW was fine with doing it. It did diddly squat (to quote PP :-) Still sitting here with an inside baby four days later. 
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageMrsS2203:
    Having had this done I can honestly say you don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary.  It hurt like crazy and was very uncomfortable.

I'm not looking forward to it, but the Dr. says it's the last step before scheduling an induction.... So I feel like it beats the alternative.  :) 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member

imageMrsS2203:

Not necessarily--my friend had it done 2 wks ago (it worked) and she said she didn't even notice it.

• Options
    I had one at 40 weeks 2 days when I was pregnant with DD1. I would say it was slightly painful, definitely uncomfortable. I had some minor cramping afterwards but still ended up being induced at 41 weeks. That being said, I have had friends that have had it done and gone into labour later the same day or next morning.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  After internals I cramp and hurt, so I'll probably be the one who thinks this is painful! lol,  I will def ask my doctor about it!  Thank you! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageZach&Kelly:
    Since my dr hasn't mentioned it, I asked her about doing it last week at my 38 wk appt.  She said that she did not do it before 39wks.  If I'm still pregnant at Wednesday's appointment, I'm going to ask again about doing it.  She did tell me that you have to be at a certain dialation/effacement point for her to do it too, but I didn't ask what that point was.  She just said she refused to do it if your body wasn't totally ready for labor.

My MW said the same thing - there isn't a point in doing this unless you already have some dilation. I believe that she said a woman has to be minimum of 2 centimeters and once done that labour usually comes within days.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"