September 2011 Moms

post birth feminine supplies-BTDT moms

FIrst and foremost wondering what pads you laides would recommend.  Haven't warn any since i was probably 13 so would have no clue where to begin anyway.  I have a peri bottle and bought tucks pads today.  I already have some lanolin for the ladies and was recommended to get cabbage and the special breast ice packs.  Obviously since i plan to nurse i will need other nursing supplies, but as far as the actual femine products purely for afterbirth issues is there anything I'm missing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: post birth feminine supplies-BTDT moms

• the cabbage dries you out, so i'm not sure why someone would recommend that to you if you are planning to bf???  I used it, but I went straight to formula.

as far as pads, the always overnight or infinity.  or actually, just get both.  

• If you're nursing, you don't need cabbage! That relieves engorgement and helps dry up your milk...not exactly what you want when establishing a milk supply. :)

Sounds like you've got most things covered. I'd add a can of Dermoplast for the sore lady bits, some Colace (though you might get an rx when you're discharged), and a container of Epsom salts in case you get a nasty tear (my MW wanted me to take a shallow bath with the salts 2-3 x a day).

I got a pack of Always overnights, extra long. A lot of people recommend the Always Infinity, but I didn't like them at all -- they felt too thin to me. I liked the secure feeling of something bulky to soak up all the nasty. ;) Get some pantyliners, too. My bleeding slowed down significantly after about a week, and all I needed was a pantyliner most days.

Get a BIG water bottle -- chugging water is a must when nursing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTheFannins729:

the cabbage dries you out, so i'm not sure why someone would recommend that to you if you are planning to bf???  I used it, but I went straight to formula.

as far as pads, the always overnight or infinity.  or actually, just get both.  

Ditto all of this.  I only heard people recommend cabbage when they were weaning and wanted to ease engorgement.  

And definitely get the super long, overnight kind of pads, IME, lochia is runnier than menstrual flow so having a lot of coverage is a very good thing. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Another vote for the Always Infinity overnights. I didn't use them with DD1 (I'm not sure they sold them then, I *think* they're relatively new), but I did use them with a m/c last summer and they were really absorbent, especially for how thing and comfortable they were.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • I used Always overnight long pads and found that they worked best because they had less "bunching" which was especially good for the fresh stitches.  I  also found witch hazel astringent much more helpful than the tucks pads.  I would soak a sanitary napkin with it and apply it to my stitches three times a day to help with the itching as it healed.  Also, after first baby, I used a doughnut to sit on for about a week or so because I had so much tearing.  You might also want to make yourself some ice packs out of frozen peas and freezer bags to place on your genital area once you come home.  This was actually suggested by a nurse in hospital because they tend to contour better than ice cubes.  You might also want to look into stool softeners if your hospital doesn't provide them.  The first BM after giving birth can be a killer.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The doughnut was a life saver for me. I had a soft blue gel icepack that I would put in the hole before sitting on it.

Always are uncomfortable to me. I used Stayfree overnights. I only needed them for bleeding for 2 or 3 days. My incontinence lasted way longer though, and they worked well for that, too.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Always overnight long were my weapon of choice in the very beginning but I had two different pads that I wore. As pp mentioned, I too found that the bleeding was thinner/runnier then what you would normally expect and when I wasn't wearing Always overnights, I'd have leaks and it is AWEFUL!! I once put on a clean pad and jumped in the car to take a 25-30 minute trip up the freeway to my moms and had leaked on the way over so I always recommend Always. Also, I too recommend grabbing those extra mesh panties from the hospital. I loved wearing those the first few days I was home. I call those that bleed heavy for a few days lucky. I bleed heavy for a couple of weeks before it starting letting up and really, the bleeding for me lasted around a month or a little over. I also had a lot of clots so be aware of those.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Soak a few diapers in water then freeze them. Perfect for ice packs for your girlie bits.

Yes on Colace and the dermablast. My bleeding wasnt that bad so I just get super pads with wings.

New granny panty underwear you can throw away

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I only had overnights after DS because everyone said I would gush blood. That never happened. They were excessive. Regular pads with wings were what worked best. This time, I'll have both on hand because you never know.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Where do you buy a peri bottle? I read somewhere some hospitals give you one. 
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and especially for letting me know about the cabbage. 

https://www.babybirthandbeyond.com/  This site has peri bottles and tons of birth/afterbirth supplies. 

• Special Cream for stitches (they gave it to me, i forget the name) helps with the discomfort and is cooling to the sore bits down there. Tucks pads, or your pharmacy brand witch hazel pads, frozen peas, Always overnights, and long super, breast pads washable or disposable (id get both), lanolin, a good nursing pillow like the breast friend https://www.amazon.com/Brest-Friend-Deluxe-Pillow-Light/dp/B000HZI1R2 I second the BIG water bottle and Deoderant, and grabbing anything thats for the taking from the hospital when you leave: pads, mesh undies, peri bottle, tucks, etc. 

Also, if latching on is difficult for your baby and lactation consultants haven't mentioned it, get nipple shields ( the kinds for the baby to suck through) it was INSTANT success for my LO, I waited 5 days after birth. Im packing them in the hospital bag this time. https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/338/20mm-contact-nipple-shield

They saved me from giving up BFing, and got me through the first few months. :D

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Mrs. Fitzsimons on 4/21/07.
  • where can I purchase a peri bottle?  is this just a regular squirt bottle to be used down below?  also, I am a FTM, but had chronic vulvar pain for several years....ice packs (the gel ones) are wonderful - you can either just sit on them, or wrap them in a town or paper towel - they conform really well and don't get too cold, but stay cold for a while - plus, no leaking. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"