September 2011 Moms
Options

School

I really want to get my degree, and my parents will be around to help me out when the baby gets here. but everyone is saying still with everyone's help, i won't even be able to do online courses. i need advice from someone who has been here.

Re: School

• Options
    I wouldn't listen to the nay-sayers. It might take longer with a baby because you can't take as many classes at once, but you can do it. I did online classes with a full-time job and managed to do just fine. I had a coworker who did them with a full-time job and young son. It's like everything else in life, you just have to make the time, and if you are really determined then you will make the time.
  • Options
    I am just finishing my Masters online.  I don't have any other children, but I would try it.  Try taking one course winter term and see how it goes.  I took 1-2 classes a term while teaching full time during the school year.  It really wasn't bad.  My student teacher had a baby and then finished her Masters.  She said that she worked while baby slept.  I say, go for it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i'm giving it a few months, and then i'm picking back up with classes.  as a been there mom, i know what to expect and i'm still doing it and that's with two kids and working part time from home.  I want to get done with it by the end of 2012.
  • Options

FTM here, but I am starting a masters program as soon as LO sleeps through the night enough for me to function with school/work.

You won't be alone on the 0-3, 3-6, etc month boards trying to make life happen along with baby!  We can commiserate together!

• Options

If you think you can do it, you can. Just put your mind to it and do it. Ignore the naysayers. I have several friends who have earned their degrees online after children. I have a friend who just finished their master's online with a ft job and 2 children. Anything is possible :)

• Options

As others have said, ignore the naysayers.  If you're driven, and you have a good support system (DH, parents, your siblings, etc.) you will be fine. 

I had DD a week after fall finals and went back when she was 3 weeks old.  My sister watched her during the one class I couldn't take in the evening and DH was home with her alone during my evening classes.  I kept up my A average.  

This one is due 2 days after a final, and my only hope is that I'm not in the hospital when I'm supposed to have the final because making it up will be a huge PITA.  I will take my notes through class-capture (the A/V recordings of lectures they host on the school's website) most of the time and go into class  on the days I have to.  DH works from home some days a week so he will be home with the baby on those days.  Once they're old enough for daycare, they'll be going with their big sister.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    I am in school right now.  It's hard, but it will be worth it when I graduate in May.  As long as you have people to support you it will be fine.  Now, DD and I do "homework" together.  I got her some kindergarten workbooks and she does those while I do homework. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"