June 2011 Moms

Is LO on any type of schedule?

I recently started to attempt a nightly routine of bath, bottle, bed.  LO is on no type of sleep schedule, sometimes it is a day of 20 minute naps, others it is 3 hour naps.  When he wakes up from a nap at 8pm, bathing him and giving him a bottle to go right back to sleep is impossible because he is wide awake.  Should I be waking him so he does not nap so late?  I read that getting him on a schedule before 3 months is not going to work, but I feel like he is all over the place with how often and how much he eats, when and how long he sleeps.  I think I am going back to work very soon and have no idea how I am going to manage getting sleep with the way things are currently going.

Re: Is LO on any type of schedule?

• One thing that has helped our nighttime is trying to get better naps during the day. When my LO only takes 15-30 minute cat naps I have figured out that she just wants to be held. So, I put her in the Moby and wear her around. She sleeps great then and she is better at night when she should go to bed. I never thought I would "wear" her during the day, but it really has seemed to help - for my LO at least. I still let my LO set her own schedule and she is about 8 weeks old.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's not a set schedule but we are getting into a bit of a routine. We wake up for the day around 10-11ish (I'm still off work so this  is lovely)  get dressed, bottle, play time, nap. Then I eat and do some chores around the house and she wakes up to eat again. We do some more play time, tummy time ect. Nap and then her prime awake hours are between 5pm-11pm. During this time she eats again, plays with daddy, and then we do lotion, jammies, and I rock her while reading a story (mostly for me as i know she's too young to absorb anything now) and she gets a bottle then we snuggle and she falls asleep. She has been sleeping till about 4am, bottle and a butt change and then sleeping till 8 bottle and butt change and then we snooze or she sleeps and I get things done.

Last night she was asleep by 10:30, woke up at 2 and then at 6. If I can somehow get her to move to this sleep schedule then I will be golden for going to work in two weeks. The late hours are working now that we can snooze longer during the late mornings but I have to be at work by 8 so we will have to switch over very soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No routine whatsoever over here! But LO is just barely 4 weeks. I figure I'll give him another month or so before I start trying to introduce a schedule. For now, baby boy calls all the shots!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HallilHallil member
    imageFozzy629:

It's not a set schedule but we are getting into a bit of a routine. We wake up for the day around 10-11ish (I'm still off work so this  is lovely)  get dressed, bottle, play time, nap. Then I eat and do some chores around the house and she wakes up to eat again. We do some more play time, tummy time ect. Nap and then her prime awake hours are between 5pm-11pm. During this time she eats again, plays with daddy, and then we do lotion, jammies, and I rock her while reading a story (mostly for me as i know she's too young to absorb anything now) and she gets a bottle then we snuggle and she falls asleep. She has been sleeping till about 4am, bottle and a butt change and then sleeping till 8 bottle and butt change and then we snooze or she sleeps and I get things done. 

This is almost identical to what my LO does, lucky for us we're in Canada so I have a year mat leave and don't have to worry about the late mornings for a while. This is completely the 'schedule' that LO picked, I let her do what she wanted and this is the routine she fell into on her own.

• imageFozzy629:

It's not a set schedule but we are getting into a bit of a routine. We wake up for the day around 10-11ish (I'm still off work so this  is lovely)  get dressed, bottle, play time, nap. Then I eat and do some chores around the house and she wakes up to eat again. We do some more play time, tummy time ect. Nap and then her prime awake hours are between 5pm-11pm. During this time she eats again, plays with daddy, and then we do lotion, jammies, and I rock her while reading a story (mostly for me as i know she's too young to absorb anything now) and she gets a bottle then we snuggle and she falls asleep. She has been sleeping till about 4am, bottle and a butt change and then sleeping till 8 bottle and butt change and then we snooze or she sleeps and I get things done.

Last night she was asleep by 10:30, woke up at 2 and then at 6. If I can somehow get her to move to this sleep schedule then I will be golden for going to work in two weeks. The late hours are working now that we can snooze longer during the late mornings but I have to be at work by 8 so we will have to switch over very soon.

Ours is very very similar to this, but with another evening snooze. It's judgment routine we've fallen into, but no schedule, and if we stray from it, it's fine. The bedtime routine has really helped him go down easier, and sleep a little longer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • "No routine whatsoever over here! But LO is just barely 4 weeks. I figure I'll give him another month or so before I start trying to introduce a schedule. For now, baby boy calls all the shots!"

This, and I am happy to let him until I go back to work in about a month.  I am hoping that getting him up and ready for daycare by 6:30am will force him into some kind of routine once we hit that point.

image   image   imageimage
    William Lawrence 5.18.11
    #2 Due 4.4.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"