Baby Names

Jensen: survey

Do you think Jensen is becoming too feminine? (Translate as: Is it becoming more a girl name than boy name - like: Ryan, etc.) I have two boys and both times I've managed to give them names that have gained popularity among girls. If I have a boy this time, I'd like to break this trend.

EDIT: I just really want to know if it's gaining popularity as a girl's name in your area (or anywhere else you're aware of). Thanks.

~ Married 14 years and counting ~
Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
IAmPregnant Ticker
BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d

Re: Jensen: survey

• I've never heard of this name, but if spelled Jenson I'd assume it was a boy. Jensen looks neutralish I guess, but I don't care for it.

• I think it is a last name.
  • Loading the player...
  • mama31mama31 member
    I couldn't imagine why anyone would name their daughter this name.  I guess it could work as a boy's name.  It sounds like a last name to me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It is my maiden name so I definitely think it fits the surname category before anything else.  Which doesn't really bother me since I have a son with a surname (Connor).

I have met a few boys with this name but have never met or heard of a girl with this name.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  If you name your son Jensen he probably will go quite a long time before he meets anyone with that name (as a first name) let alone a little girl.  He'll probably meet several girls and boys with Jensen as a last name though.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:

It is my maiden name so I definitely think it fits the surname category before anything else.  Which doesn't really bother me since I have a son with a surname (Connor).

I have met a few boys with this name but have never met or heard of a girl with this name.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  If you name your son Jensen he probably will go quite a long time before he meets anyone with that name (as a first name) let alone a little girl.  He'll probably meet several girls and boys with Jensen as a last name though.

Thank you so much for your help! When I google this name I see a few girls with this name, which is why I asked to begin with. My husband really wants German names and Jensen is Scandinavian so he may not go for it, but I like it and wanted to see if others thought it was becoming girlie before adding it to my list.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • wwnbwwwnbw member
    I didn't know if it was for a boy or a girl until I opended this but I have never heard it before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's used a lot as a girls name in my area.  Why torture the poor kid?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBwayDani:
    It's used a lot as a girls name in my area.  Why torture the poor kid?

This is why I'm asking - to avoid torture. Thanks.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would never ever name a girl Jensen. Not in a million years. Nor would I assume if I say the name written that it belonged to a girl.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I know a girl named Jensen.  Everyone calls her Jenny.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Last year I had two female students whose name was Jensen. I hadn't ever heard it before that.
  • I rarely hear it for a boy and have never heard of it for a girl.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Jensen is all boy to me.  There will be someone who names there poor little girl Jensen, no doubt, but Jensen is a boy's name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemagsugar13:
    I think it is a last name.

this

• I instantly think of Jensen Ackles from Supernatural. I think Jensen (which is how it is spelled) is a unisex name, which is why you are finding more girls with the name. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I've never even heard of it.
  • No. I think it's a last name. 
  • FWIW, I don't think your two boy's names are girly at all. Both Greyson and Chandler scream BOY to me!

And also, I don't care for Jensen as a first name for either sex, but I would only think of it for a boy.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• imagelageorgiapaperie:

FWIW, I don't think your two boy's names are girly at all. Both Greyson and Chandler scream BOY to me!

And also, I don't care for Jensen as a first name for either sex, but I would only think of it for a boy.

Thank you. I don't think they're girly either, but in both cases (after they were born and named - 10 yrs apart!) girls named Chandler and girls named Grayson (sp. Gracen) started popping up all over the place. Just wanted some opinions about the gender specificity of Jensen. I may not use it anyway... sounds to rhyme-y with Grayson. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • If you want to avoid having your son's name turn into a girl's name, pick a classic, solid, masculine name. I have never heard/seen Jensen before, but I'd assume it was a last name before anything else.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I don't know any males OR females with this name.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• The only person I know in real life with this name is a girl.  I do think it should stick to being a boy's name though.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I've never seen this is as a first name. It's a last  name and the name of a popular tire chain in my area.  Ick.
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"