Austin Babies

Tell me about your diaper bag that you love

I'm in the market for my first diaper bag.  I'm looking for some tried and true recs.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Tell me about your diaper bag that you love

• I received mine as a gift from my best friend.  The"alex stitched" is very similar to mine, but not exact.  It's a little on the large size for me, but it holds everything I need(ed).  Now, if I'm just running a few errands I can normally fit the few things I need into my purse.  In the early days (or longer outings at DD's current age) the coach bag worked well.
    IMG_1749_2
  • I have a Skip Hop Dash bag that I absolutely love. I bought it at a consignment shop after becoming frustrated with the petunia picklebottom bag I received as a gift (I felt like the bag itself, empty was way too heavy, and disliked how stiff the glazed fabric is). I like the Dash because it's lightweight and holds everything I need for the kiddo for several hours out, plus my wallet. And it has lots of handy pockets, inside and out.

However...as we move into solids and start needing sippy cups (I don't currently carry bottles, because she's EBF) and more toys and snacks, I'll probably start looking for a larger bag. Maybe a PPB boxy backpack, maybe a larger skip hop, maybe something else. But I'll be super sad to hang up the Dash. I love love love it.

Photobucket

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**the nestie formerly known as karen2508**
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an earlier version of this bag from Land's End. It's good for short trips when you don't need to carry much.

For bigger trips, I use a backback that is actually sold as a computer bag. It leaves both hands free which makes it easier to carry DD or push her in a stroller. There are side water bottle pockets that hold two bottles each (so I can carry up to 4 bottles).

I also have this bag from LL Bean. It's a really nice, well-designed bag, but it was heavy on my shoulder and hard to carry when I wore DD in a sling or pushed her in the stroller.

As I got more pregnant, I wasn't able to wear DD in the sling, but she needed less stuff so I was able to carry the smaller shoulder bag or the backpack.

The LL Bean bag is a very good diaper bag for all day outings when you don't have to actually carry the bag (like visiting at a friend's house, shopping with a stroller big enough to hold the bag, etc).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As my diaper bag has been through the washer 3x in the last few weeks alone for a variety of child based disasters, I have to laugh at the idea of having anything that's not machine washable! The girls straw cups spill on occasion. ANY cup will do that when placed in mommy's bag upside-down. The girls also now find my bag and stash treats in there leading to all kinds of grease and crumb surprises. I toy with the idea of having a pretty purse/diaper bag in disguise but it's just not me.

I've had both the Little Tripper from Land's End and the LL Bean bags PrincessBride posted. I really liked them both. I currently use an older version of the LL Bean bag too and it can get a little heavy on the shoulder but I think anything one shoulder does. My only negative feedback is that there's only 1 outside holder on my current bag and the interior mesh pockets barely fit my preferred straw cups without some force. It is pretty small but we travel light. I keep a change of clothes for the girls in the car and extra diapers too. It would be plenty of room for just one kid, even a newborn.

I have an older Do-it-all Diaper Bag from LE that I still use but I'm not sure if I would recommend it. It doesn't appear to fit as much stuff as one would think! For all day stuff or airport etc, backpack all the way! Any old Jansport will do.

I'm going to keep an eye on this post though because after 2 years of heavy use, the shoulder support plastic flexy piece thing on my bag broke this week! I'm in the market for a new bag. I keep trying to justify making the move to just a backback but I'll probably just get another Carryall Diaper Bag from LL Bean.

ETA: I hope this isn't getting too confusing - I didn't like the Little Tripper because it would never stand up. It always fell over. I dunno if it was just a bad cut on my bag or if they all do that. But I remembered I didn't like it. Also, I know some of the Skip Hop bags etc attach to strollers but that wouldn't help us at all. We only ever use an umbrella stroller anymore (Maclaren Volo) and even at it's minimum, my bag will tip that thing in a heartbeat once the child is removed!!  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When I first had DS#1 I had a JuJuBe Be All that I loved.  Easily able to throw in the wash, lots of places to stash stuff, and super cute!  I love bags, and I tend to bore easily of something I've been carrying around for a while, so I bought another JuJuBe--this time a Packabe.  I loved the idea of a backpack.  When I had DS #2, however, I had to move up to something bigger, so I got a regular old backpack from Target.  This worked for a while, but it ended up being TOO big.  Here lately I have been carrying a Skip Hop Duo, and I gotta say, I kinda wish I had bought this from the get go.  Lots of pockets, easy to clean, super cute, and big enough to stash everything the boys need (a couple of diapers, small case of wipes, snacks, water bottles, a few toys, and a small bag of hand sanitizer, neosporin, bandaids, lotion, sunscreen, etc), plus a few things for myself (small makeup bag, wallet, phone, e-reader). 

:-)

• I needed something different for little ones verses the older less going potty age.

Also, I cloth diapered so I needed something big enough to carry a few of them around and space for the wet bag. I didn't use bottles so I didn't need the room for that. 

I have a skiphop, but it's meh to me. 

I got a super awesome dwell tote that lasted the longest and was roomy enough and easy to carry and strapped to the stroller (as the skip hop does) It's easy to wipe out.

I ordered a a new bag for this time a Mia Bossi off of hautelook and it has a zip out liner that is washable :)

I think you'll have to think about what you'll be carrying around to know what size will work for you. 

diapers, clothes, bottles, wipes, etc also do you want to carry everything with you all the time or will you put a stash of stuff in the trunk. you can get away with a smaller bag if you don't have to bring everything everywhere :)

have fun shopping around :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a Vera Bradley baby bag (in the green tree/bird print) and want to marry it. I started with a petunia that sucked...I too hate the glazed fabric, but more than that, it was completely not functional - it fit nothing. The Vera bag has all kinds of pockets, isn't that icky glazed, but can be thrown in the washer and it stretches...so it can fit a lot when needed. And since it's just cotton, it is super light (until I stuff it full). LOVE it!
    Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When DS was little, I loved my Skip Hop Studio diaper bag -- it held a ton. 

Now that he's older, I need a smaller diaper bag so I like the Skip Hop dash okay.  I would much prefer the Skip Hop Duo though.  I really like the quality of the Skip Hop bags -- they've held up great!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the Jujube Behave in Brown "Earth leather".  It was more $$$ than I really wanted to spend, but I use it as my everyday purse too (even when I was still working and dressing professionally) so it was worth it for me.  I get compliments on it all the time, and people are surprised when I tell them it's actually a diaper bag :) It's machine washable, though I haven't actually tried that myself yet. 

It has a removable long strap for wearing it crossbody and 2 shorter straps for on the shoulder.  If you plan on using a baby carrier at all it's nice to have the option to wear crossbody as it'll stay on better when you have straps going over your shoulders.

That said, if you have more than one LO or tend to way overpack it might not work for you.   I carry all of my stuff (makeup bag, wallet, cell, sunglasses) plus a snack, sippy, 2 diapers, skinny wipes case, and a few small toys.  Any more than that and it would start to bulge.

• Ditto the Vera Bradley rec. I love mine!
  • MrsAJLMrsAJL member

I have a Skip Hop Versa that I use for Molly. I love it!  I love it so much that I'm thinking of buying a second one in black to use as a travel/overnight bag.

We had a different bag for Ben. DH didn't want to use anything too baby looking so we bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag.

• I love all of mine, I switch them out like purses.  ;-)

I've got an OiOi messenger bag, a Skip Hop (crap don't remember the model) bag, and a Coach one that I scored at the Outlet.

I probably use the Coach one the most though since its the biggest and I literally can fit everything in it and it has tons of pockets. 

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Although I don't use it anymore, I got the Liz Lange Marlena bag (in black) because I wanted something that looked more like a purse that would go with everything.  I LOVED it, but now that DD is a toddler I don't use it anymore.  It's stored away for the next baby :)  Timi and Leslie has some nice 'purse' looking diaper bags as well if you want to check them out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"